KEF's New "Uni-Core" Subwoofer Tech: Dual Opposing Drivers with Nested Voice Coils

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PineBark, Jan 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher Thread Starter

Interesting new "Uni-Core" subwoofer tech from KEF features dual opposing drivers with nested voice coils sharing a single magnet structure, to enable more compact size while reducing cabinet vibrations.

Check it out: KEF introduces Uni-Core subwoofer technology and its KC62 sub

The whole cabinet is about 10 inches a side. List price of $1500 seems high, but I like the concept, as the driver structure looks seriously rigid. Can pre-order at Crutchfield, but no given ship date. (Might be a while before any of us get to hear it in person.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33na3rd, mds, timind and 3 others like this.
  2. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Goes down to 11 hz!

3. PineBark

If it really does output 11 Hz within -3db (which I find hard to believe), those 6.5 inch drivers must have huge excursion.

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That is impressive technology. I wonder how it sounds? I also would be curious to see what the actual measurements are, 11 hz is pretty darn low. That is below what is audible to humans. You could use it to communicate with whales and elephants.

5. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

in anechoic chamber

bever70 likes this.
  6. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

wouldn't that mean the bass might go lower in some rooms by activating room modes?

7. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

No. No lower ... you can't create sound acoustically.
    Room modes reinforces / cancel frequencies. Anechoic chamber it's "the truth", but surely in your room you'll not hear that lower frequencies or you'll have midbass reinforce.

8. PineBark

I'd think this subwoofer would benefit from a subsonic filter that cuts out ultra-low frequencies which needlessly suck up lots of amp power. Nice to know the tech could reproduce those waves, but no real advantage going that deep in a home installation.

9. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Now if they'd just combine those two boxes into one...

Wenthrope and Kiko1974 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.