Ken Burns - Country Music Documentary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rick Bartlett, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

"Ken Burns" documentaries are not solely made by Ken Burns anymore than Walt Disney drew his cartoons or William Shakespeare was sole author of his plays.

Yes, that recent doc on Charlie Pride was wonderful to run across! Love the recent spate of Nasa astronaut and race to the moon programs as well from PBS and others... beats the fins off all the excess numbers of shark programs Discover and Nat Geo keep shoving at us!

2. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Lynn Novick, The Viet Nam War

3. Speaking of, that Nova episode Apollo’s Daring Mission is well worth watching - one of the best documentaries (albeit in a recurring show) I’ve ever seen on NASA/space flight. I can’t recommend this one enough.

4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

That's about the Apollo 8 mission, isn't it?

5. Yep.

6. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

My biggest problem with Burns is his influence, especially the talking head celebrity clips. Sadly, most documentaries start with about a dozen of these. You have to fast forward through them to get to the actual content. The recent Race to the Moon series was a welcome change; fantastic period footage and narration from people who were actually there, rather than babbling by Whoopi Goldberg or Bruce Springsteen about how cool it was that we went to the moon.

Rufus McDufus and Shawn like this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I didn't think Burns responsible for the talking head celebrity clips becoming a thing... I'm open to being wrong however. It is something I really can only take so much of and suspect there may be a fair bit of it in this forthcoming County Music set. I'm not saying a fifteen year old singer or musician I've barely heard can't enthuse or pontificate on the merits and importance of Dolly Patron or Jimmie Rodgers, but the odds of my wanting to hear them do so is something else. I'm not so sure about trotting Keith Richards out to tell us all how great Merle or George were either. :D

MoonPool likes this.
  8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Hope the documentary will explain what category or genre of country Faron Young, Roger Miller, Tom T. Hall, Bill Anderson and others fall into that don't sing with a traditional country twang or style.

I was always asking whether that was crooner country... or easy listening country. I'm a Tom T Hall fan which I've seen his style described more as a storyteller. Maybe troubadour is an appropriate description but I don't know what that is either.

9. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

I dislike it even when they use purported experts - current musicians and college professors. I would much rather see clips and pictures narrated by professional narrators. The worst is when they string a dozen of these at the beginning of the show to tell us over and over how important the subject matter is.

carrick doone likes this.
  10. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Nice article on this documentary:

The Premiere of Ken Burns' "Country Music" - New Hampshire Magazine

Greg Gee likes this.
  11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

A very good place to end it if you're an authentic country music fan.

12. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I'm not a C&W fan per se, but I'm really looking forward to this. I thought Jazz, the parts I saw anyway, was better than critics gave it. I'd like to watch that one all the way through sometime.

13. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Mine, too! Don't sell yourself short! ;o)

Reader likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There are still some great Country artists these days, but apparently they're illegal.

Lightworker likes this.
  15. Lightworker

There are some "okay to very good" country artists nowadays. Much like in jazz, there are quite a few excellent players, but the spirit of the music that made
    the 'golden age' so special is pretty much a 20th Century thing and ain't never really comin' back.:cry:

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

17. Chris DeVoe

I'm not an expert, but I'd say that there are some songwriters working today that I would rank up with any of the greats - Steve Earle, Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell...

pablo fanques and Lightworker like this.
  18. Lightworker

I do like Sturgill. Not a really big fan of Steve Earle. I liked his early stuff, but IMO he's not a writer that "matured" well like, say, Townes or Dylan. Feel the same way about old Butch Hancock too.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

I've learned about Sturgill and Jason here, and consider them both top-tier songwriters, even though I haven't given either of them the attention they deserve.

20. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

jimbo3688, RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  21. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

panasoffkee likes this.
  22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

We watched the special last night. Pretty well done but Larry Gatlin singing Sunday morning coming down?? That and the doofus with the straw hat. Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, ASW all great. Good band with Stuart Duncan and Paul Franklin among others. Series starts this Sunday.

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Yeah, I hope they don't just focus on Nashville, rural Kentucky, Bakersfield, Texas, et al to the exclusion of the Beverly Hills school of Country Music:

24. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Has this series already started?

25. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

September 15

SOONERFAN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.