Ken Ishiwata 1947-2019

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheSixthBeatle, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

I'm sure he had enough money/talent at his disposal to start a new company. I'm at a loss to understand why he didn't.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

He was 72! It takes a lot of energy to start a new company.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

No only that, but Marantz was literally this guy's life for the past roughly 50 or so years. Can you imagine what it would be like to have something that you have put your heart and soul into for that long taken away from you? I suffered separation depression from a job which I only had had for a couple of years. This would have been fifty times worse.

warp2600 likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I get it. I just retired from teaching after 35 years. I truly miss it. So I understand.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  5. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I think I read he was in the early stages of a collaboration of a speaker with the founder of Fink speakers in Germany with whom he had previously worked.

Here's a nice remembrance of Ken's history and contribution to hi-fi along with pictures of Ken from throughout his life.

In Memory of Ken Ishiwata

6. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Thanks.

7. Slippers-on

Thanks for posting that link.

It cleared up a lot of questions and speculation. He was heart broken about being let go....other companies did want his expertise, and he was working on something new. The last question I have...was the new company owners instrumental in letting him go...and If so, why?

jusbe likes this.
  8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Yes, after Sound United purchased Denon/Marantz they let him go. Since Kevin Duffy is the man in charge that decision rests on his shoulders. May he forever be admonished for doing so.

9. Slippers-on

I hope he feels miserable. I wonder what's going to happen with Marantz Reference ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.