Kevin Gray's cut of the Eagles Hotel California LP on Rhino *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I haven't heard his HC yet so I can't comment on it specifically. But I've noticed that Kevin cuts rather close to the label sometimes. I've also noticed that he'll cut hotter than some other engineers. For me, the combination of those two things requires meticulous attention to alignment, azimuth, and VTA as well as a great tracking cartridge. Even when I swear I've got it all right, it's usually a Kevin Gray cutting that tells me that I haven't quite nailed the setup yet. With other LP mastering engineers, I seem to be able to get away with using just a standard two-point Baerwald protractor. But with Kevin's stuff, I need to break out the arc protractor with custom null points favoring the inner grooves. And I still think it's a little unfair to people with more down-to-earth turntables and cartridges that he uses an old Shure V15V-MR to test his cuttings. That can be like asking a world-class weightlifter, "Do you think that's too heavy for my mom?"

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

What about the Rhino UK "Made in EU" LP? Is it the same as the US version by Kevin Gray?

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

This explains why I have never felt any need to upgrade from my copy, purchased at a rummage sale for 99 cents.

I just checked--it has Sterling in the dead wax, plus the inscriptions
    "IS IT 6 O'CLOCK YET?"on Side One
    and "V.O.L. IS FIVE PIECE LIVE" on Side Two

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Mine does too.

5. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

The DCC is more "accurate" sounding than the MFSL but yea it is pretty good sounding.

6. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Yeah, I agree. I've got a near mint copy of each. The DCC is a test pressing.:love:

Still looking for the right STERLING copy.

7. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish SeƱor Member

That can to an extent be down to cutting though. I found the bonus disk of the Travelling Wilburys sounded awful from about halfway through the side on my previous cart. I'd played plenty of other records that didn't. A hot cut?

8. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

Maybe someone can help me then... my first copy is one I bought at a church yard sale for $0.25 about 10 years ago. Matrix info is:

A:

STERLING "IS IT 6 O'CLOCK YET?" 6E 103 A 23 SP SRC LOGO 1-1

B:

STERLING 6E 103 B 02 SP SRC LOGO "VOL. 15 FIVE PIECE LIVE"

I bought it because I was teenager, didn't have the album, and loved the music. It's still in pristine condition. Is this something I should needledrop yesterday?

Thanks!

JC

9. SergioRZ

After all this time I still can't determine if there is a relation between these two reissues that seem to have come out at the same time.

The KG cut made in the USA, and the one Made in Europe, both 180gr claiming to be cut from Original Master Tapes...

Is it possible that this European release uses the same KG mastering? :confused:

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Hint: the original catalog number started with the 7E - then went to 6E. Look at the 7E / Sterlings. I've found some beautiful sounding ones in the early pressings. Never compared them to other vinyl pressings though. Closest I have is the DCC CD.

11. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

The 6E Sterlings have always sounded better to me.

12. Raunchnroll

The benefit of looking at 7E is they are earlier run and tend to be heavier weight, and are often Presswell pressings. A lot of 6E are Specialty pressings and the vinyl 'tends to be' a tad lighter. Fundamentally these should not sound that different, but they were really cranking the album out by this time and I suspect they were pushing the stamper life in addition to using lighter pucks. No doubt there are 7E's and 6E that are on par with each other (I don't even think I've heard a bad sounding original press by the way).

13. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

I have a 6E sterling US cut (cut out LP, with Elektra red/black inner sleeve)
    and a German 320 180 gram from orginal mastertapes.

Both suffer from nasty innergroove distortion, and both LP's I brought new sealed. Innergroove distortion happens on two different carts as well and on the same track "the last resort"

14. SergioRZ

So, this "Sterling" pressing is the best ever made?

Can anyone help me get details about it? How to identify this release? Label, catalog number? Pressed in the USA?

Thanks! :righton:

15. Raunchnroll

They glut the low priced album bin$ - at least in my area. I imagine California is awash in them. The album sold billions.

OK...millions.

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The KG Rhino LP sounds very good to my ears and more dynamic than the 6E Sterling pressing.

Besides, my Sterling LP sounds like it was pressed on roofing shingles instead of vinyl.

17. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I read this and went to find my copy and it's not on the shelf. Damn, now I'm freaking out. Did I only think I bought it? Is it misfiled? Did I accidentally get rid of it. I have a 7E pressing that sounds nice, but has some surface noise.

18. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

The 7E I heard was dull compared to the 6E.

Weird. :shrug:

19. SergioRZ

20. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Try and find an original UK pressing (Sterling), beautiful quiet pressing and dynamic sound.

JG

21. James Glennon

22. James Glennon

Original UK pressings are Sterling as well.

JG

23. SergioRZ

Thanks for your reply :righton:

I only have the european reissue, but there is no "KG@ATM" in the matrix... should it be there? :(

24. James Glennon

There are two European versions..

1. Rhino UK pressing (7E-1084 in deadwax) Manufactured & Marketed by Rhino UK on back cover at bottom.
    2. 'Back to Vinyl' Sticker on front cover (KG@ATM in the deadwax).

What's the info on the deadwax of your EU pressing?

JG

25. SergioRZ

I'll have to check it again when I get home, but I remember there is no KG there... just some numbers.

I'm almost sure mine had the Back to Vinyl sticker... again, I'll have to confirm this at home later.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=467677http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=467677

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.