Kim Shattuck RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glass Candy, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Today is not a good day, between Barrie and Kim. The Muffs have a new album coming out in two weeks too...

RIP.

2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

My father passed away 5 years ago from ALS. He had it for over 15 years, which is super rare. Sad to hear about anyone else battling this awful disease. RIP Kim.

Tommyboy, xilef regnu and Glass Candy like this.
  3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Devastated by this, even though I knew about the ALS for a while. Doesn't make it any easier. Whoever said you shouldn't meet your heroes was wrong by a mile, at least in this case.

4. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Damn.

5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

She was great. Damn.. RIP

lightbulb and Glass Candy like this.
  6. craigr

craigr Forum Resident

Shocked.... RIP

Glass Candy likes this.
  7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

8. Very sad news indeed - a band (The Muffs) that I only came to enjoy fairly recently.

ALS is an aggressive and unpleasant condition - at least Kim is now beyond any further pain and suffering.

My condolences to all family and friends.

Best Wishes,
    David

9. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

This is just so saddening, such a great talent! I never saw Kim play live, but her vivaciousness and ebullience always shone through records and videos. If you haven't heard her early 2000s side project "supergroup" The Beards, I urge you to check out their one glorious album.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Aww that sucks, RIP.

I was kind of a girl band geek as a lad and due to Flipside magazine coverage I decided to buy Hamburger.

It was great! Their scuzzy ass power pop punk really hit the spot. Even though I haven't listened to the rest of their material, which I need to remedy, I really enjoy that comp.

Hep Alien and Glass Candy like this.
  11. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Happier times with Kim in a 2018 video by Derrick Anderson from his most recent solo album. He's played with a ton of power pop bands, from Chewy Marble to The Bangles, the Smithereens and his own band, The Andersons. Kim is on screen right. Hard to believe this was just a year-and-a-half ago. So young and what a tragic way to go. Remember her this way...

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Aw rats. Loved the Pandoras, the Muffs and the Beards. Kim had one of the best screams in Rock&Roll. She will be greatly missed. RIP.

JL6161, vinnie and Glass Candy like this.
  13. I loved Kim and The Muffs.

Rest in peace.

Glass Candy likes this.
  14. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Yes listen to the rest of their stuff. That comp is GREAT, but I love every album. Their final album will be released next October 18th.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

RIP.

Glass Candy likes this.
  16. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

This was released this year. It's one of the last songs released in Kim's lifetime with her band The Coolies which reunited her with ex-Pandora and ex-Muff Melanie Vammen. When I first heard it, I loved it but I didn't know it was her saying goodbye.

17. SlimepantsMcgee

SlimepantsMcgee Active Member

Wow that’s sad. Rip

18. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Like many others, I had no idea she was ill. A couple or so years ago I used to spend time hanging around on some Pandoras FB pages, and don't recall any mention of it at all.

Terrible way to go. Very sad.

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip on the Coolies - didnt know about that one. Typically great. I am going to miss that girl.

JL6161 and Spazaru like this.
  20. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

One of the articles I read stated that she chose not to disclose her condition. Although she released a single for ALS research she said at the time only that the disease ran in her family.

JL6161 and Glass Candy like this.
  21. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Wow heard her being interviewed on WFMU last year hard to mistake that speaking voice. Seemed pretty young how old was she?

melstapler likes this.
  22. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Glass Candy likes this.
  23. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Showing my ignorance I had to look up what ALS is. It's another name for Motor Neurone Disease or Lou Gehrig's disease. A cure cannot come too soon.

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Incredibly sad news. I last saw The Muffs perform about 15+ years ago and have continued to follow their recorded output. The Muffs were an incredibly tight band and Kim's songwriting was top notch. More recently while watching an episode of a show on the HGTV network with the wife, I recall seeing Kim and her husband featured as they contemplated what to do with their home. Aside from showing some glimpses of her music room, there was no mention of her music career and I recall some of her guitars were in cases up against the wall. Kim's bands have been criminally overlooked and there's nothing more frustrating except for her premature death. RIP Kim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.