King Crimson 2020 Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Oh, but you misunderstand. 'We' do want new material, and actually already have received an album's worth of new songs, in the form of hours of varying live versions. We can even follow the forming and development this way for some of them. I'm very happy and quite content with that!

And I also would imagine that if Fripp thought he could improve on these new songs by recording them with everybody in a studio he would do it. But his diary entries make it quite clear that he sees the real strength of Crimson as being on a stage. The results of which he then records and releases.

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

On the nose-y!

It ain't Crim-worthy yet. And if there's one overarching reason to weigh whether new studio material should happen is the content itself. Believe me, I want Jakko to succeed in King Crimson, but I'm not convinced his songs lend themselves to the "otherness" that Crim projects. At least not yet. He's a fine musician, the songs display appropriate craftsmanship, they play well as "interludes" during concerts, etc. But I'm not hearing anything epic.

If I'm being honest (fan since 1969), I'd even suggest Fripp's current compositions, while certainly decent, are also not particularly groundbreaking right now.

Compound that with the logistics of recording 7 players. The typical Crim MO is for all players to contribute and thus split composer payments. Even if that was deemed practical, I have trouble envisioning 7 accomplished players collaborating effectively, even if only adding to what's already there. Quartet, sure. Septet, not so much.

Without a startling sea change, I can live with no studio album this time around. Maybe it works as another distinct attribute of this Crim.

3. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Go to Fripps Facebook page - you can hear him workshopping something of some kind in the cross picking fracture type stuff style.....from today.

I think a lot of us would love new material but are at the same time just appreciative that the band even exists today, and is in its current configuration playing material from all eras plus new material. They’ve been around long enough to have earned the right to do as they please and that seems to be what they’re doing and I for one am ok. Plenty of other bands to listen to if one does not like this bands clearly stated modus operandi

4. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I can't imagine the current KC pick the 'new' songs that have been performed live and re-record them in the studio, just to have a proper studio album. That is not the way Fripp has been working for decades. Think of LTIA, Discipline and THRAK. They are studio albums that opened up a new unexpected direction for KC to follow. I don't see that happen with the current lineup and accumulated 'new' material.

If a new studio album some day comes, I'll be happy and excited to buy it, but I won't hold my breath. It would only make sense with a new lineup and new direction.

ytserush and Max Florian like this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

If anyone’s earned the right to mine the past on tour, it’s Fripp. And the current touring incarnation of Crimson is quite a beast indeed.

I doubt this band, or Jakko, could top The Power To Believe. I wonder if Fripp even sees the value in committing time to studio sessions in the streaming age?

Billy Infinity and gd0 like this.
  6. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Nifty update from Alex on the DGMLive forum about forthcoming downloads on the site (in response to a question about when there will be another full live release - not sure on that yet):

But in the meantime, I can tell you about what is coming to the site. There is a wonderful Frippertronics performance from June 1979, also a restored King Crimson bootleg from 23 April 1974. Plus the King Crimson 2008 tour bundle, and I have just started working on the King Crimson first tour of America in 1995 after 10 years 10 months and 3 weeks! So loads of new live releases for your ears.

All of those sound good! I’ve been surprised that the 1995 NA tour wasn’t there, and of course the 2008 tour has long been an odd omission.

My 1000 Club renews in a month. I have about $60 of credit left - not enough for a big bundle, but I thought I might get the Slow Music Project live bundle. Anyone got that? Thoughts? (I’ll be using next year’s 1000 Club credit to get some more of the 1995-6 tours, plus start on the 2000 ones.)

7. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

If you have "Live At The Croc" CD, or you have listened to P6 or some of RF's soundscapes, you know what to expect.
    Listen to the samples and decide for yourself. I personally love Slow Music Project.
    Actually I might revisit those shows soon, just because I miss Bill.

TFEC likes this.
  8. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Thanks - big fan of the soundscapes (& have used a fair bit of this year's credit on them). I’ve enjoyed the little samples and it seems a bit appropriate in honour of Bill.

9. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I guess you wont learn much with the following, but The Festival d'été de Québec in Quebec city has just been cancelled, King Crimson was a scheduled performer with the Zappa band on July 9th.

Also as of today no foreigners can enter Canada until June 30th 2020, this date may change also...

Hopefully, we will came out of this pandemia without too much suffering and personal losses.

10. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Bredonborough.

Another reference to the thing he was working on the other day they Toyah filmed and posted.....will be cool to see what comes of it as it appears this seems like a new piece...

11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I might just have to grab that.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Expect many bands that had not been going back in the studio are more likely to do that now that it will likely be deemed safe for 7 people to gather to work in a studio a year or more before it will be deemed safe for a concert hall full of people to assemble.

13. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

This could be applied to concert goers too

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/coronavirus-security-measures-proof-of-immunity-1.5527046

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sure that is why I did not say there will never be another concert. But I still think groups of 7 will be gathering in studios (likely separated by glass partitions) at least a year before groups of 7000 are gathering in concert halls.

They don't even have a way to test for immunity yet.

15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Just for fun

Mr. Fripp has taken this pic yesterday in the city where he lives

[​IMG]

This is where it is located

Google Maps

16. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

I LOVE the Slow Music Project shows. However, I do respond strongly to "the left field" of music, so ...

jsb! likes this.
  17. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Downloaded! And I used the last five dollars of my credit to get some random single tracks, which should also be fun. Thanks both.

18. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

MungoMusic, Reese, jsb! and 4 others like this.
  19. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

KING CRIMSON 2020 TOUR POSTPONED FOR A YEAR

King Crimson have taken the difficult, but inevitable decision to postpone this summer’s tour of North America for a year. Although it is possible that some venues in the US and Canada may open again in time for shows this June and July, there seems little possibility that the threat from Coronavirus will have completely faded – and we have no desire to risk the health of the band, the crew or the audience. No-one should have to decide between a concert and a threat to their health.

We have been in discussion with the various concert promoters, all of whom remain very keen to host King Crimson shows, and it is our intention wherever possible to play exactly the same dates with the Zappa Band on very similar dates in 2021. The rescheduled dates will be confirmed over the coming weeks.

This should leave fans with the option of either ticket refunds, or attending the rescheduled concerts next year.

In the coming week, we will also be contacting all those who have bought Royal Packages directly from DGMLive so that they can make the same decision.

In the meantime, we wish everyone the very best of health, and hope to see you next year.

KING CRIMSON 2020 TOUR POSTPONED FOR A YEAR

20. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

^^^^^figured this was a foregone conclusion at this point. So no king crimson live this year whatsoever....first time since 2013.

here’s to hoping they announce the 2020 release schedule - 2008 tour bundle dropped today but waiting on a) documentary b) next live album c) whatever else they have planned....

fishcane and jsb! like this.
  21. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

This is a wise decision. Please do not risk the health of any band members by going out on tour before there is a reliable vaccine available,

ytserush and fishcane like this.
  22. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Yeah, especially given that North America is looking so bad, pandemic-wise, touring there in particular is clearly unviable.

Still, let’s hope they can spend some time on other things, like finishing the Court box and maybe preparing a live release from 2018 and/or 2019.

ytserush and fishcane like this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Bummed but completely understandable...gonna hang onto my royal package, who knows what ticket prices will be next year

Chew likes this.
  24. manco

manco Forum Resident

All good things come to an end.

25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Why do you (and others) keep making these types of posts?

Do you want to know the truth? Even the bandmembers don't want to record new material in a studio. When Jakko presents ideas, he's told, "that'll be great on your next solo album!" This came directly from him during the Toronto Celebration Package talk and it's appeared elsewhere.

Also for the initiated, they do perform new material. Anyone, who attends, can notice the audience reaction. People are there for "Starless" not "Suitable Grounds for the Blues." Let's be completely serious.

KDubATX and GregK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.