King Crimson 2020 Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

This little tidbit from the DGM guestbook (per Alex Mundy) when asked if there were any plans in the near future to release the Rome 2018 show:

"The current plan is to make a new release from the current line-up to coincide with the rescheduled tour next year. What exactly it will contain is yet to be decided!"

ARK, Zoot Marimba, fishcane and 4 others like this.
  2. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Which means forget the Rome show for the foreseeable future.

3. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

hhhhhmmmm that is disappointing, implies no new live album this year which sucks, but such is life. They must have some numbers that say when they have a new live album for sale at shows that they get increased sales or something. Seems silly no full length live album has come out since meltdown in fall 2018. Would be curious what 2019 show gets the nod...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

At one point pre-pandemic David Singleton had referred to the possibility of Radio City Music Hall being a strong candidate. No hints since then...

5. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

I would have thought radio city for CD / blu Ray, or perhaps Royal Albert hall compilation style a la meltdown, but imagine those come down to venue royalty costs as for those venues, they were not able to do any nightly downloads....

King Crimson Setlist at Radio City Music Hall, New York

radio city is a short set compared to the 20+ songs normally they’d been doing, but at least larks 4 and elektrik are there....have to imagine stuff like frame by frame would be included as bonus tracks...

Jimbino likes this.
  6. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Well I guess the Louisville Palace show won't be happening in 2021! Has anyone else gotten venue cancellations for the 2021 tour? Hope this is just my venue and not the whole tour getting scrapped already. Didn't see any update on the DMG site.

7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Before we conclude September, let us acknowledge two of King Crimson’s own with late September birthdays.
    First up is Mr. Jeremy Stacey, who turned 57 on the 27th. Stepping up to the plate when Mr. Rieflin had to sit out, Jeremy ended up fitting in so well that even when Rieflin came back, the band figured “You know what? Jeremy should still stick around.” Though he’s sometimes overlooked in favor of the Rieflin, Pat, or Gavin, Jeremy shouldn’t be underestimated. I did finally get to see the band in Atlanta last year, and though I knew what to except from Pat and Gavin, I didn’t have any real expectations of Jeremy. Well, he definitively impressed me. Throughout the show, Jeremy more than held his own in the Tripled Headed Drum Beast that has defined the current band, driving the engine as Pat and Gavin embellished and colored the foundation Jeremy set. In addition to this, he also showed himself quite the keyboardist, particularly shining on “Islands”, which was easily the high point of the show. Beyond his musical skills, Jeremy brings such a joyous energy on stage that always lifts the spirit. He is the physical embodiment of how I felt finally seeing these musical titans and seeing musicians I love and admire so much perform as vitally as ever.
    Happy birthday Jeremy, hope your birthday was a good one, and I hope I get to see you guys when the pandemic is over.

And finally, let’s remember the amazing and incomparable Bill Rieflin, who would have turned 60 today. Let’s just start off with the bands for which he’s known for- Ministry, R.E.M., and King Crimson. Three VERY different bands that each require different approaches and skill sets. And he was there as all three were reinventing himself-Ministry as they went from synthpop to the industrial metal band we know them for; R.E.M. as they proceeded to find who they were without Bill Berry and as elder statesmen; King Crimson as they sought to have finally revisit the early albums in addition to an unorthodox lineup configuration and functioning without Adrian Belew for the first time in over thirty years. Leave it to Rieflin, though, he can take it on and honor the spirit of the band while remaining uniquely himself. Bill was fearless and steadfast, absolutely nothing would stop him. Even as he privately battled cancer, he wasn’t going to stop and feel sorry for himself. He was going to keep playing and keep doing what he did best.
    I’m not gonna lie, as great as the show I saw was, it was hard for me not to miss Rieflin. It felt weird not having him there, just as it felt weird not having Tony there when he took his break or as the band first went out without Adrian or without Bruford. Lineup changes weren’t anything new to KC, but of course, Bill had become a key part of the new band. And when I heard of the tour with the Zappa band, one thing I was particularly excited was the possibility that I could finally see not only people who worked with Frank but also KC with Rieflin. Of course, that turned out to not be possible for many reasons.
    To end this on a positive note, particularly since I know Bill wouldn’t want me pissing and moaning or feeling sorry for him, Bill Rieflin was a man of integrity, creativity, intuition, strength, and determination. He was way more than he really needed to be, and I’m grateful that we got to have him.
    [​IMG]

8. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Has anyone who had a tour date cancelled received their refund yet? My Louisville stop was cancelled and asked for the refund over 30 days ago. I got this reply today: At this time, we are awaiting funds from the event organizer and soon as the funds are received, we will immediately process your refund.

Who is considered the event organizer--King Crimson organization or someone else?

9. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

I think it would be the concert promoter.

uzn007 likes this.
  10. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

2021 touring is....

USA and Canada
    Australia and Japan

confirmation if you check out the fripp and toyah agony aunts weekly video from Facebook yesterday. Will be first time for KC ever in Australia.

MungoMusic, garysb, albertop and 3 others like this.
  11. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

How about Europe??:confused:

12. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

looks like nope for 2021.....just not enough time to squeeze it in I’m guessing. We know the US/Canada tour is June / July, so have to assume Aussie / Japan is fall / winter. Is what it is.....

At least the documentary and some live release from current band will likely come out next year to satiate European fans?

13. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I'm honestly glad for the KC fans in Australia!
    I remember that guy who refused to start listening to the Heaven & Earth box before the speed-corrected downloads, cheers to him!:righton:

And the most important thing: let's hope that this world will get back on track soon, and bands can start touring again!!

14. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

I kept my Royal Package for next year, but the way things are going here in the US with the virus even next summer seems wildly optimistic.

Jimbino and fishcane like this.
  15. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I did the same, and I agree. I just don't see the live music industry getting back on track that quickly.

16. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

I agree with you, even here in Quebec , things are not that bright either...

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Still no official Blu Ray/CDs from the 50th anniversary tour

It could've been wonderful to have an official document from the last 2 concerts of the tour, that happened here. The first one sold out (which I attended) in just an hour

:edthumbs:

18. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

I’m optimistic but also wouldn’t be shocked if live music industry isn’t really back until Q3....we’ll se
    That part did surprise me that this year with the pandemic they didn’t release a 2018 or 2019 show, at least digitally as a stopover release, but alas! There’s still time for a digital Christmas release but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Knowing them, have to imagine the doc and a show from 2018 or 2019 is released to coincide with the start of the tour in 2021 or early before it. That would make some sense! At least we have the nightly tickles from the 50th anniversary tour!

19. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Europe has had the last 50 years to see King Crimson, Australia has never had a chance.

Hopefully the Australian tour is in November because all going well I will be in Melbourne.

uzn007 and frank3si like this.
  20. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

2021 tour update

There’s your tentative update.....

2 legs in North America - 1 of the southern US, the other of mostly east coast and Canada

November and December is for our friends in Japan and Australia. Congrats to the aussies!

clearly all tentative with the vaccine rollouts, but we shall see! Let optimism reign!

21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Southeast USA sounds great to me, but I'm not going to see anyone in concert until this whole Covid thing has stabilized considerably, I don't care if they bring Jimi back.

Lovecraft and aphexj like this.
  22. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Thanks for the update!

23. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

As far as I know, this is the first time EVER that King Crimson has ever mentioned the possibility of touring Australia.

Now I have to do my best not to get too excited as it is only a possibility.

uzn007, albertop, alakulju and 3 others like this.
  24. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

i mean given oz has done a good job with Covid.....them and Japan are the ones most likely to get shows. US comes down to how aggressive the country is about getting it all together. We’ll see. Wanna see fripp and co back out there - Chicago date happens, I will be there.

25. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

At this point I am willing to travel anywhere to see a show.

alakulju likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.