Kingko KA-101. Experiences?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by murphythecat, May 28, 2017.

1. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I love mustard, myself! Lol
    But the term is referring to cutting the muster, which is troops assembled. An officer is expected to be able to take command, so to speak, and organize them. It is done vocally. So one has to be authoritive enough to cut the muster. On another note, I will PM you soon with my short list regarding power amps

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Sounds excellent, as I am recently retired and have two warehouses full of gear, that desperately needs to be pared down to one warehouse, I have a lot of gear that is in need of a good home.

I will be listing most of this gear on the "Hardware and Accessories" Classified Ads section of the forum.

Some items, mainly speaker's I don't have original boxes or they are too heavy to ship, I will make available to local South Florida members are some great prices.

Do be in touch!

3. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Richard where do I get this RCA rectifier and is it the exact size of the stock one.Mainly the height

4. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

No if you get the RCA you can no longer use the cage. It is too high. It's not an uncommon tube. I bought mine in Hong Kong at a place that sells tubes. But it is on the net. If you go to my dagogo interview with King Ip at the bottom i have noted all the tubes he recommends for it.

NOS RCA 5U4G

6. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Ok does it atleast line up with height of transformer?

7. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I don't think so, Cut the Mustard is used correctly above. Cut Muster basically has the opposite meaning. Passing Muster would be used to infer a similar meaning to Cutting the Mustard.

8. Richard Austen

It's close. I am not at home and can't remember. It may be just avove the transformer. I'll have to check later.

The main improvement to me was superior ambiance. For me it makes the most improvement along with the 12AX7. Treble is not glassy like the stock set up.

9. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

ok please get back with height at eye level above transformer as my space above is limited.Last question what in cdn dollars would that rca rectifer cost where u bought it?

10. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Last question what in cdn dollars would that rca rectifer cost me where u bought it?

11. Richard Austen

It was around $550HKD - so pretty close to $100 Canadian. Generally, I don't find stuff particularly cheap in Hong Kong. You may do better in fact in Canada - but there is no sales tax in HK so that may balance things a little bit.

12. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

excellent thanks.Also is the rca tube taller than transformer when looking at eye level?

13. Richard Austen

I'm not home yet it is only 12pm here.

I can't wholesale recommend that tube - I can wholesale recommend it ONLY over the stock tube - I have tried exactly zero other rectifiers. I see the Tubestore sells several well reviewed rectifiers in the under $40 US range so it is possible you might like one of those every bit as much if not more and you can buy 2 or 3 of them for the same price.

So I would certainly ask around about this. www.thetubestore.com - 5U4 Tube Types

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

I really appreciate that Richard as I will ask around and sorry didnt know you lived out there

juno6000 likes this.
  15. Richard Austen

The RCA sits just above the transformers. A couple millimeters.

16. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

17. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Well how things of changed.I was using the Kingko to drive the Spatial audio Triode masters which are a 12 ohm and 93db eff an easy load you would think and although the the sound was very good it left we wanting in low end.So I joined here to try to get some tube advice.Well something crazy happened I brought in some Monitor Audio Silver 300 which are 90 db eff thinking know way the King will drive them properly.Well I was dead wrong without even having to turn up volume the sound is fantastic the bass is tight,low and extended.The mids and top are smooth with no etch.The Spatials sound better with my Audia Flight FLS 3 100w of class A/B power.Wow what an eye opener and I am very happy!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Richard Austen

It may be that the Spatial Audio's min impedance s too tough for the KingKo - the KingKo struggles with my KEF Ls-50 which should be called a 4 ohm speaker. The Kingko definitely prefers and easier load 5 ohms and up I suspect. The bass is just as good from the Kingko as my LM 219IA 24 watt 845 watt SET.

I like the Spatial speakers I heard at CAS (California Audio Show) but noted they were using a much more powerful amplifier than a SET.

19. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Ya LS50 need a lot of current.Those arent your main speakers are they?

20. Richard Austen

No my main speakers are the Audio Note E/Spx Alnico speakers - same ones Steve Hoffman uses. Easy to drive around 96dB sensitive.

21. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

My speakers are Dali Fazon F5. 87.5db but no nasty impedance dips. Bass is great.

22. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

You are driving those with a Kingko?

23. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Ahhh

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

F.Y.I.

Did you see this post from yesterday?

My tube amp just blew up - sounded like fireworks.

25. daveyboy777

daveyboy777 Member

Oh no sorry to hear.What did
    I dont understand as earlier in forum you said you have several tube amps but didnt own a kingko and now you say your Kingko blew up?