Kinks Reunion Inches Closer To Fruition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

2. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i would quite likely go to see the kinks, should this ever happen

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Love the guys, but it is hard to see 80 year old Ray, and post heartattack Dave being able to punch out a tour at this stage of the game.

Sadly I never got a chance to see them, so I'd love to be wrong, but it seems unlikely.

I'd love the guys to record something together though.

5. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

I would welcome a medium-subdued Kinks reunion record, befitting their advanced ages. And we know Ray can write quieter songs all day.

6. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Stop talking, start playing!

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This came up on our Kinks thread, and the so very human and observational style of Ray's writing, I'd love him to write some form of autobiographical song/album that ties into the changing times from 1963 to 2022.... if he was inspired and interested it could be a truly poignant transcendent thing....
    but we'll see what happens

8. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

It would great to hear where the Kinks would be at this stage in their lives. It would need that good balance of Ray and Dave. I’m hopeful.

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Bear in mind this thread has been inching since 2014...

10. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Those feuding Davies/"it's pronounced Davis" bros left a lot of cash and joy (for their fans at least) on the table for last 25 years. It is a genuine shame.

11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Happy Thanksgiving

12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

For "artists we never got to see live", The Kinks are at the top of my wish pile.

For my money, from roughly 1977 through their demise, few bands match the ass kicking intensity of a live Kinks show.

Say what you want about the later albums, but as a live band those recordings always make me perk up and headbang uncontrollably :p

I would have to adjust my expectations for a reunion though as I sure it would not be anything as visceral and ferocious as, say, the 1984 Frankfurt gig which you can watch on YouTube (one of the best rock shows EVER!!!!)

13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I can’t see a tour happening at this point.
    Would love to see them do something..
    I saw them once.
    At Massey Hall in 1987 or 88..

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

"Kinks reunion inches farther from fruition"

Man at C&A, Brettlowden, gd0 and 12 others like this.
  15. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Sightings of Ray have been very, very scarce since well before lockdown. We really haven't heard from him in years. His last album came out in 2018, and he barely promoted it. He seems frail and in declining health - though that's speculative. I would say that a stage reunion is less likely than anytime in the past.

As far as recordings - Ray is so obstinate and seemingly clueless as to what fans would like, that if things are finally released I'd have low expectations. I can easily see him taking some unreleased song from the Misfits sessions, muting Mick's drums, and then removing the vocals and replacing them with an actress reciting recently written lines about a decaying London, and calling it a new Kinks song.

Of course I'll take whatever I can get. I had the good fortune to see them half a dozen times, and I got to meet both Ray and Dave more than once, I love them. But for whatever reason Ray refuses to play the game. More power to him, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    theMess, Boognish, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Don't give him any ideas!

Honestly the last pictures I saw, he looked really frail. He's probably hiding in his home living his life exactly as he wrote in X-Ray.

17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

As long as they don't meet for a Messy Brawl!

Bonddm and gkella like this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

He said in an interview (maybe 10 years ago) that he had sclerosis that he's had all his life and that it got worse after he was shot. Maybe that's why he's been looking more frail?

20. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Very good song, thanks for sharing! :righton:

There, I already gave my thanks :D

21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wish I had a dollar for every time I saw The Kinks from 1976 and onward.

Brettlowden likes this.
  22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

[​IMG]

ajsmith likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd have $9.

$12 if you count Ray solo as well.

stoneage romeo and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not looking good.

Mick Avory from an interview in March 2023:

"But you asked if we'd ever go on tour together now, we'd been through all that the last 20 or so years. I don't think it's possible now – one thing, health-wise. And I don't think we could ever work it out because Dave wanted to do it one way, and Ray wanted to do it the other – which was quite normal thinking for them. But I always turn to Ray because he did consider the whole thing – he didn't just consider, 'This is what I want to do.' He used to consider, 'What's the best thing to do?' That's why I always listened to Ray. Ray thought it as doing as an 'evolution tour' – you have different people who came into the band and what songs they recorded on and what songs effected them. I thought that would be more interesting. But I think Dave just wanted 'a band' – not particularly with me in it. Just reform something like they had when I left – just a band with him and Ray in it, really. It's a team thing, and if you're not a 'team man,' you don't think like that."

The Kinks' Mick Avory Talks New Anthology, 'You Really Got Me,' and If A Reunion Is Possible

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023