Kinks Reunion Inches Closer To Fruition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The UK version did!

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Forget a Kinks reunion,I'd like to see Ray Davies collaborate with Madness.

e.s. likes this.
  3. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Now hold on... let's not rush into this...

4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

There are interviews with Crosby in the latest Mojo and Uncut issues, where he says he'd be up for it but has asked Mcguinn "over and over" and he's not interested, so it's not going to happen.

5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

This was discussed in another thread, but I do think a 50th anniversary is a powerful incentive, especially if other bands have already gone through it successfully (the Beach Boys, the Stones, and now possibly the Kinks).

It wasn't long ago that Dave said there will never be a Kinks reunion, 'not now and not in the future'.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I saw Ray on Jool's Holland's New Year show and he looked very frail and tired. Bored even.

7. parman

parman Music Junkie

I saw Ray about 5 years ago and was really disappointed. Do I love the Kinks? Hell yeah! But I really wouldn't expect much from a reunion, I'll be happy listening to my Face To Face and Kinks Kontraversary albums

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Hmmm. They should go with the studio idea. They wouldn't even have to work together. Ray could send the song over in an email.
    That's too bad. I saw Ray about 5 years ago and certainly was not disappointed one bit. This was a tour with the 88's. His voice is still good and he's still very genuine on stage. I saw him in the early 2000's also and that was a great show as well. I'd definitely see him again solo or not.

O Don Piano and reb like this.
  9. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member

Did I really type "Avery" a few posts back? Idiot. I'll make it a point to actually be awake before I post again.

Sheesh.

10. houston

houston Forum Resident

this might be one of those reunions that was 5-7 years too late

Helmut and e.s. like this.
  11. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

If they tour, I will see them for sure.

reb likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Dave's stroke was in 2004, that is, 7 years ago. The Kinks as a band petered out in 1996 to almost a total lack of interest. I'm not sure that any reunion would have worked ever. Arnie

e.s. and houston like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

2004 was 7 years ago??? ;)

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Roger McGuinn has said that he feels the only reason for doing a Byrds reunion would be money. He has made it clear that it would not be something he would view as rewarding either personally or artistically. And he has also said that he does not need the money. I think it's safe to say that the only thing that would motivate him to do a reunion tour would be a sudden downturn in his financial situation, and I certainly would not wish that to happen.

As to Dave, he's been clear that his finances are not in good shape, and likely that is a factor motivating the current reunion talks.

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Dave aside, I dunno about "lack of interest" being a problem - the Kinks critical stock (based largely on their late 60s work) has risen massively since the mid-90s, particularly with the indie-rock crowd. You've got to remember that back in '96, none of their Pye/Reprise material had been properly re-issued, and your Village Greens etc have only been really fully recognised in the years since. A mid 00s reunion/tour concentrating on that stuff would've been highly popular (and I understand the real-life reasons why this never happened, but the thoery stands I think).

16. MsKK

MsKK New Member

Founding member bassist Pete Quaife has died a long time ago so a proper Kinks reunion can never happen. Sad.

17. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

From a ticket sales perspective, I think a Kinks reunion would do very well. I read some interview where Ray was asked, if they get back together for their 50th anniversary, would they like to headline Glastonbury(!), and he said if they do something, it will be on a much smaller scale. I could see them doing a couple nights at the Royal Albert Hall and the same at Radio City Music Hall. I doubt they would do any extensive touring.

Ray's book-signing in NY a couple months ago was a huge success, they had to turn people away. The Kinks legacy has grown in their absence.

18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Pete Townshend has confirmed that The Who will tour again for their 50th, so, given the relationship between him and Ray, I wouldn't rule out a double header of The Who and The Kinks as a final hurrah for the two bands.......

19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Let's revisit this exchange in two years, to see if McGuinn was someone tempted to change his mind!

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ooops!! I guess I still haven't recovered from that New Year's hangover yet. Bad math indeed!! But I can always depend on someone catching any error that I make. Back to the abacus for me.... Arnie

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I can't believe people are saying a reunion would be pointless without Quaife. Seriously?! He wasn't even in the band for 80% of their output. Stuck in the 60s anyone?

Zack and tkl7 like this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I was thinking that one way to insure this tour will sell tickets is a double billing. I see the poster above had the same thoughts. Although I was thinking more in the line of a popular band - opening support act.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Dalton/Gosling would count for me as a reunion.

Not having Avory would go against it.

Hep Alien, Carserguev and tkl7 like this.
  24. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'm sure a band like Mumford & Sons would love to open for the Kinks, but I'd hate to see that happen. I think a limited Kinks reunion would sell out immediately (hell, the Family reunion sold out in an hour).

I think the biggest problem would be song selection. Maybe they should do like Steely Dan does at the Beacon Theater--play for three nights, and play a different complete album every night along with the usual hits. A Something Else night, a Village Green night, and a Muswell Hillbillies night. That would be worth a second mortgage and a plane ticket to London.

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

If it's anything close to Ray's shows, song selection will be Low Budget, Come Dancing, Celluloid Heroes, and everything else 1960's-1970.

(Dave would probably do Living On A Thin Line)