Kinks Reunion Inches Closer To Fruition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Jan 1, 2014.

1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

And John Dalton didn't have inspired bass lines?

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The poster expressed a preference for the early albums, on which Quaife, not Dalton played.
    Calm down.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm calm. To each his own I guess.

I just think it's silly to think a reunion won't be good without Quaife. That's my opinion.

rstamberg, Revolver and ajsmith like this.
  4. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

If you're talking about Dave,I would agree with you.Maybe it was the stroke.The smart 60s rock stars know when to retire.Unlike certain forum favorites I could name.:whistle:

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

These guys are gonna be a long time dead. There'll be plenty of time for them to not reform when they're gone. I'd love to see them go for it.

Rufus McDufus and Hep Alien like this.
  6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It's sad, but you're probably largely right, in terms of the material that ended up being released, Pete didn't end up having a great influence on it, as Ray was very precise about exactly what he wanted in the studio and according to every interview you could read with Pete, the older Davies brother was very opposed to input from the other members. Pete always said that "Village Green" was the only LP where Ray loosened even a little and let the other have more input into the arrangements.
    However it's not to say that Pete didn't have anything to contribute artistically- he was a songwriter too and it's a real shame Ray's dominance precluded any chance of any Quaife originals making it onto a Kinks LP. Even Bill Wyman got a couple of the songs onto Stones albums! Pete's main signifiance is that in a lot of way's he was Ray's only potential equal in the band - Dave's position was always weakened by being seen as the "kid brother", and it's fair to say that Avory and the other members who came after Quaife were much more happy in the position of interpreting Ray's work rather than making their own artistic contributions (having said that, Dalton did write one song, "A Shoe Without A Lace", that he sang live with them at least once!)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Seen last 3 ray uk tours was great as ever but I too saw him on Jools on NYEve and was very concerned he look I'll, hope it was just a bad cold but he did look frail.

8. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

What I love about these Kinks reunion threads is the obvious lack of concern about/knowledge of the Kast Off Kinks. Anyway they seem to have a full diary this year.so won't be able to fit in a tour with the Davies brothers :D

http://kastoffkinks.co.uk/html/gigs.html

There's already a Kinks 50th anniversary gig scheduled to which all ex-Kinks who have played with the Kast off Kinks will be invited (of the Davies clan that includes Ray, perhaps even Rasa, but not Dave). Its at Broxbourne Civic Hall in August.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Hep Alien and ajsmith like this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

With The Kinks, they always screw up and do the opposite of whatever is planned. So that "bad" news from Mick Avory is the first piece of POSITIVE news to me. In my mind, the more pessimistic it gets, the more likely the reunion could happen. There's hope after all... ;) Arnie

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Hep Alien, ajsmith and LandHorses like this.
  11. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Don't hold your breathe Arnie. That Mick Avory interview confirms what I've been told recently that Dave is sticking to his "terms and conditions" about who is and who isn't part of a reunion, terms that aren't acceptable to anyone else. I haven't bought Uncut, does anyone know if anything different is said there?

Thats why the Kast-Offs have gone ahead and booked their own 50th Anniversary gig. Its good news that Mick and Dave are in email contact though.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Sorry Dave, but no Mick Avory, no Kinks reunion for me. Why not add John Dalton, as well? He was great.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did you consider the 1984-1996 Kinks to still be "The Kinks"? I can see why some wouldn't - it was "The Ray and Dave Show" - but I'm curious to know if Avory's absence over that decade was a deal-breaker for you...

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Nope, I like many of the band's records after 1984. I don't think Avory's replacement was a bad drummer, just a little too slick for my taste. The whole Argent connection was getting to be a bit much.

I'm simply saying that since Pete Quaife is gone and John Dalton's been playing Kinks songs in Kast-Off Kinks, why not get him back? Hell, why not get Baptist as well?

The late-'60s to late-'70s Kinks records are my personal favorites, anyway. (I didn't say they were their best— just that they're my favorites.)

wayne66, Hep Alien and marblesmike like this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'd imagine that those gigs have a reunion cancel clause on them or the KoK can get another drummer.

16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I hope they've extended the invite to Dave anyway... just in case...

I think part of the problem is that Dave himself has an obvious lack of concern/knowledge of The Kast Off Kinks. I think if he could be more directly exposed to what they were doing and the amount of love their followers have for him, there might be a chance he could soften. Based on him banning them from the US (ironic eh?) , I get the impression that Dave thinks they're equivalent to one of these 60s reunions tours claiming to be the original group with one original member, when in fact they're a very respectful and humble tribute (in the truest sense) to the spirit and legacy of the Kinks. Ray should chloroform Dave and drag him along to a KOK show.

wayne66, Hep Alien and rstamberg like this.
  17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

At this point the two brothers and others would be fine. Btw, Paul McCartney kicked ass on Jools Holland with those Band On The Run tunes. I am amazed. :)

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. INSW

INSW Senior Member

There was a photo not too long ago of Ray and Dave at their aunt's birthday. I'd post it if I could find it. That to me was a reunion.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

nikh33 likes this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Even or Odd, I'd guess The Kinks will do the Odd. Always odd!

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I think Ray wants to focus on his Americana concerts. He's doing a fair amount of shows in the UK, and it seems he'll be in the US this fall.

Loves playing New York City close to "Thanksgiving Day."

23. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Going to see Ray in conversation with the writer Joseph O'Connor at the National Concert, Hall, Dublin on 19 May 2014.

24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

25. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

There is too much talk for too long time in public. A reunion should have come as a surprise.