Kirmuss Vinyl cleaner surfactant issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by john couture, Sep 14, 2021 at 5:07 PM.

1. john couture

john couture New Member Thread Starter

hi. new user to the Kirmuss vinyl restoration unit.
    in the online demonstration videos, we see the surfactant being brushed in a white "toothpaste"-like substance coming out of the record.
    when I ordered my machine, it came with a spray bottle full of surfactant and a refill bottle.
    I started using the system, and saw the white substance just like in the videos. once the spray bottle was empty, I refilled it and continued cleaning. I didn't see any more white substance...I just assumed that the new batch of records simply didn't have any of that grunge in them (as not ALL records will have it)...so on I went. Fast forward a week later after I ordered some additional supplies, including surfactant refill. It came with another spray bottle, pre-filled. I started using it and BOOM! more white stuff, like immediately.
    rather curious, I went back to some of the records I cleaned earlier that did *not* have white stuff come out...applied the new spray-bottle surfactant and there was the toothpaste again. I tried this on 5 separate records, following the instructions to the letter...each time the "refill" surfactant had zero toothpast-like material and each time *with the same records*, the spray bottle surfactant worked exactly like in the videos.
    I tried opening a second bottle of refill...same exact result. Clearly whatever is in the refill bottle is not the same as what is in the initial spray bottle. weird huh? I made a video, sent it to Charles Kirmuss and he says this is something he has never heard of.
    question to any Kirmuss cleaner owners...has this ever happened to you?
    thanks

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, it happened to me.

Some of the LPs that I cleaned with the original bottle, which was included with my machine (bought in 2018) had that toothpaste like substance you are referring to. Shortly afterwards, I ordered 5-6 additional spray bottles of the surfactant, and nothing. Additionally, I ordered the big bottle of surfactant a few weeks ago, and once again, nothing.

A lot of my records were fairly clean to begin with, as I have another a 2nd ultrasonic machine. That being said, I haven’t seen the white, toothpaste like substance in 3 years.

3. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

That paste thing never sat well with me. That and the royal PIA of the cleaning regimen and the fact that it takes 15-20 minutes a record to clean it is what made me trade it in on a new Degritter.

When Kirmuss demo’d his unit at CAP a few years ago, he did 5 or 6 cycles with his machine and couldn’t get the paste to go away. He scoffed at the notion that the solution was the cause of the paste and blamed earlier cleaners (?). Then he shifted gears and said it was the release compound. Then he said it was a byproduct of the vinyl itself. Whatever it is, I saw it on my cartridge if I didn’t take every step necessary to remove it. I’m 99% sure that the surfactant is the cause of the paste. If I used the Kirmuss without his surfactant, no paste would appear. Maybe that is the solution.

I also got much better results when I did a final rinse and vacuum on my Nitty Gritty. It’s counter intuitive to what Kirmuss preaches, but it works and it’s easier.

Perhaps Kirmuss users should try the Degritter cleaner/surfactant solution, in the proper proportion to the Kirmuss tank (which is much larger)?

JHC3 and Tommyboy like this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Autodidact Debater

Can anyone who has tried cleaning a record several times confirm if the paste appears again or not?