KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This made me laugh. :D

2. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Why?

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

"I attended the first farewell tour". That's funny, no? Explaining jokes always spoils them - think irony.

4. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Got it - I guess I’m just so used to “first farewell” as a term it doesn’t even faze me anymore!

5. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

It wasn't a joke, but I am glad you got a laugh of it. To be a KISS fan, you have to develop a sense of humor about them. I love 'em, but I can laugh at 'em too sometimes.

Queezma, McRich, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Do it half bowl or third bowl in the stadium like AC/DC Turin 2001.

7. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Did they really do this due to poor sales?

8. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

OK, just to follow up. Since you sold me on Double Platinum back in March, I now own 3 original vinyl copies,
    all with NM vinyl. I guess I would call that a mild obsession. I did that so I could put together one great copy with the best
    condition cover, and both inserts. For the most part, I like these versions. It's a trade off for me. Some are improved
    from the originals, and some are not as good as, for me. I'm very happy to own it after all these years. It's a cool package,
    and one that I'll pull out from time to time and give it a spin. I also ran across a killer copy of Ace's solo album, with the
    poster that looks like it was never unfolded. Great rockin' album. You are the inspiration for me now owning both of these
    awesome albums. Thanks. :righton:

9. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Hey Steve! Glad you found some copies. Hopefully you were able to “frankenstein” the 3 and get one nice mint copy. I figured you would love the Ace record. I have yet to find someone who is a KISS fan and not rank that at least in their top 10 (my top 3). I think the reason I rank Double Platinum so high and go back to it on a regular basis is that it was my first KISS album proper that my parents bought for me back in the summer of 82 (Ace technically being my first for my bday in Dec 81). Those were the versions of the songs I heard and became familiar with first...so when I began collecting the studio albums a short while after the proper studio versions sounded “off” to me. Obviously that eventually wore off and I learned to love album versions as well. Anyway, glad it worked out for you. Oh... did your Ace and Double Platinum(s) come with the order form inserts?

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I know the some ACDC stadium shows in Boston/NYC had to be papered a bit.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. steve phillips

Yes, I was able to put together a complete package with the order form, and the double platinum award.
    The other two have just the order form, but all 3 have NM vinyl, which is cool because most kids back then
    probably trashed these. The Ace album has the order form and the poster. Only problem is, now I've got to
    find the other 3 solo albums with the posters, and fit them together in a frame, maybe. It's a treasure hunt.

I think they should have included Shout It Out Loud. That's my only nit-pic with the song selection. It's a
    strong comp though, overall.

Queezma likes this.
  12. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

It’s all the thrill of the hunt! I have been searching for years for a nice OG pressing of Dressed To Kill....still eludes me.

steve phillips and ejluther like this.
  13. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

It’s good but VERY Paul-heavy...

steve phillips likes this.
  14. tages

tages Senior Member

[​IMG]

15. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Does anyone know any uk websites that are selling the tour program?

16. steve phillips

That one is tough to find. I have a friend that sells albums on Ebay. If I find a good one I'll let
    you know. He has sold some things for me before.

Queezma likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You can find it in the official KISS store, no idea how much they would charge for shipping.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Philrock90 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

They are funny! Sometimes, they're meant to be - sometimes, not.

I've had a lot of laughs thanks to Kiss over the years.

ejluther, Philrock90 and Deuce66 like this.
  19. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

Same feelings here. I didn't see them as a child in the late 70's. I saw them in 1996 (it was great!) and 1998 (it was pretty good). I don't want to see (them (or any of my other favorite nostalgia acts) now.

I saw Strutter in 1994 or 1995 in a 200-400 seat club. It was awesome (especially since this was the only way to see the 70's style show at the time). They way the explosions were incorporated "musically" at the end of "Black Diamond" was unforgettable.

FWIW, 1994 Kiss show with Eric S and Bruce K was also a great show with a near perfect set list including songs like "Going Blind".

BusNoise and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

Speaking of "The Originals"

1. What a great album cover! My friends older brother had a copy that we stared at while listening to the 3 records inside. It was the one with Gene blowing the "circle of fire" around the group.

2. I guess the Originals have now become the New Originals :)

Matthew Tate and steve phillips like this.
  21. steve phillips

I've still got mine. Bought it when it came out. Still in great condition with the inserts intact.
    That was brilliant release. A great way for kids like me, who came on board with Alive, to go
    back and catch up.

candyflip69, Queezma and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The old KISS Asylum website had a piece by Ron Albanese that referred to this album as Double Stanley.

ejluther likes this.
  23. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The 1979 interview on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow show is a definite highlight for me.

Use_Your_Koala and Queezma like this.
  24. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

ejluther likes this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think Snyder had zero interest in the band, but he recognised that Ace was comedy gold! :)