KISS coming to the "End of the Road?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keefer1970, Feb 19, 2018.

1. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I'm guessing a lot of bands/artists have fans willing to shell out big $ for stuff, though, right? Not just KISS?

905 likes this.
  2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

There's something about Kiss that inspires people to make some really poor financial decisions, though. This recent $3,000 guitar strap thing (and the other offerings) are certainly bringing this into a brighter light than before.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. I'm 'in the know'. I was only trying to make a snarky comment...

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  4. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

They certainly will take your money if you’d like to give it! What other bands/artists do this type of stuff (even if it’s not to this level)? I guess I honestly just don’t know...

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I can't think of any that sell stage used gear at their shows, I would assume think the most musicians are extremely picky about what they use live.

6. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

KISS is doing an invitation only exclusive show for Sirius/XM at the Whisky a Go Go on 2/11/2019... will be aired, but not sure if it will be aired live... lol

Bonddm and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I was thinking about Kiss 2.0 and would bet Paul & Gene already have the "rules" laid out. I wonder if they would allow new music by new members or if the bands music would remain static. I bet as long as Paul & Gene are alive they would be running the show. I wouldn't be surprised if they go through a lot of people in casting. They'll be looking for people in their 20's and I'll bet younger people will tire of playing the same stuff and rebel. I could see it being quite a mess.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Kiss does everything to extremes.

ejluther likes this.
  9. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I wonder if the long-rumored realty show finding/casting KISS 2.0 will ever happen?

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m not trying to justify anything. KISS has always been about merchandising and making $.

Are these same “broke people” also attendeding the KISS Kruises? Or are they a different demographic? Cruises aren’t cheap don’t cha know.

People choose to spend their money on all kinds of things. Supply & demand.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Todd W., nodeerforamonth, PDK and 2 others like this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

All of them, maybe? Let;'s face it, anybody who does LN/TM arena tours or high-priced meet & greets is gouging their audience in some way. For Bon Jovi you pay a grand or so to hang out backstage with no access to the band.

ejluther likes this.
  12. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

For real? Wow...

13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

So Bon Jovi has managed to remove the meeting and greeting from meet and greets...and people are still buying? lol, gotta hand it to him that's impressive.

Huntigula, 905, GodShifter and 3 others like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yes indeed.....You get to pay to watch the roadies!

Ultimate Barricade VIP Experience:
    Includes:
    • One (1) general admission ticket in The Bon Jovi VIP Barricaded Section –an exceptional dedicated viewing area in front of stage/ramp with in and out access.
    • Early Entry with Special Bon Jovi VIP Entrance
    • Behind The Scenes Tour: Tour the inner workings of Bon Jovi’s tour production. Find out what it takes to produce the tour and take it from city to city.
    • Litho Autographed by Jon Bon Jovi
    • Exclusive Job Bon Jovi Overnight Bag
    • Exclusive Flag
    • Exclusive Guitar Pick Tin Set

ejluther, vamborules and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll let you pay to work the show, too!

905 likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

:righton::righton: Jon doesn't want to mingle with the great unwashed peasants....

17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Kiss has always been about merchandising and making money, and that's fine -- but of course, back in the day we're talking about $5 items. Until recently, there was no such thing as a Kiss collectible that the band offered for $20,000.

I doubt these people are attending the Kruises -- I've never been on one and have no desire to go on one -- and I've really distanced myself from that community over the past decade as my interest in the band has waned.

Ultimately, this all comes down to how much is "too much", before it crosses a line for you personally. Everyone's gonna have a different threshold. Some people don't care. Other people were turned off 20 years ago when Spencer Gifts was overrun with the latest Kiss chip & dip sets and pool cues. For me, this whole business of charging outrageous amounts of money for a guitar that they played for five minutes -- is a massive jump over that line. Your mileage may vary. I'm just calling it as I see it personally.

RobRoyF, PDK, Queezma and 2 others like this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

When you look at the retail prices of those guitars that Paul offers good grief, it's price gouging on a whole new level. If you want a Paul Stanley Ibanez, buy it retail at a discount and use the remaining money for lessons, that might be a lot more fulfilling in the long term than meeting Paul for 5 minutes backstage.

Queezma, intv7, ejluther and 2 others like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No, I think KISS definitely rip off people with their outrageously expensive “memorabilia”. I’m not justifying it. I agree with you guys, but as PT Barnum reportedly once said, “there’s a sucker born every minute”.

M321115, fsutall, Doggiedogma and 2 others like this.
  20. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

There was a guy in the Waxahachie, TX area that was a big KISS collector who got written up in the paper (he had the KISS Kasket which I think was the big draw); my parents live in the area so when I was back one time years ago my mom called the guy and we went out to see his collection. It was very impressive and he was super nice and seemed completely normal/sane/together to me in that he had a job (a police officer, IIRC?) and a family, etc. (of course, I have no idea what his life was really like)...he just loved collecting KISS stuff. But that's my only encounter with a "real" collector who might be up for some of the stuff they've got going these days...

905 and Doggiedogma like this.
  21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I think the part that really rubs me the wrong way is that they see me as a potential sucker!

M321115, GodShifter and Queezma like this.
  22. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Haha!!!! I doubt it is even 5 min....and 5 min one on one is highly improbable.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Drop the baited line into the lake and let's see if they bite, obviously some can't resist the lure.

24. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

In this instance I just wish Kiss were more like Howard Stern (of all people). Love him or hate him, Howard has probably left tens of millions of dollars on the table by refusing to sell licensed merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs and hats*, even back when he was at his peak of popularity. He has said several times over the years that he has been able to make a very good living from his radio career, and he would not feel comfortable "taking advantage of his fans by selling them ****".

In other words, just because you can do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Paul and Gene can't possibly need the money at this point, so why do they do everything they can to squeeze the last pennies from the fans that have supported them for decades? It's really become pathetic to me.

*He has written a few books and sold some CDs and tapes over the years

tages, Sandinista, Queezma and 4 others like this.
  25. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

EXACTLY! These are the two extremes in thought.

I don't want to be the guy to say "Gene Simmons has enough money!" -- but...he does. Gene and Paul are surely making more on ticket sales on this upcoming tour than they will ever possibly be able to spend. All in addition to the massive bank accounts they already have. So how much is too much? That really isn't anyone's place to say. Capitalism's great. They're free to do whatever they want. However, when they're as rich as they are, and they're quite obviously squeezing out every last dime from their supportive fans, giving them so little for soooo much money -- that really makes them look like jerks in my eyes.

tages, Sandinista, Deuce66 and 5 others like this.