KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I can listen to Tales, where as when it first came out I couldn't. It's got some fine moments I think, but they're brief. I can appreciate it if not love it. Wondrous Stories really grew on me.. Fragile & YES Album are still great. Relayer I still love, Moraz was great live. Didn't even need a cape peace

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

It does have some fine moments, but I'm already half-asleep by the time you get to them. Even Tormato I've come to appreciate some of, but I don't think I'll ever learn to love Tales, when there's literally thousands of better records I could spend 82 minutes with. The surround mix is really nice though, for what that's worth.

William Smart likes this.
  3. YardByrd

YardByrd Forum Resident

Only had CotN on CD for the last few years (didn't pay any attention when the record originally came out)... and haven't been enamoured of how loud the drums are... well, found a very nice original LP a few days ago... the drums are still loud but they sit better in the bed than on the '97 CD... count me as a big fan of the record... splendid... unfortunately, by '82 I wasn't buying KISS albums anymore... wonder how I woulda liked this back then?

Curveboy and carlwm like this.
  4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

So the vast majority of the KISS catalog is up for streaming on Qobuz - in hi-Rez. Not sure what the mastering is - if it’s different than the 97s - but it sounds good.

As an aside, I made a playlist of everything they had in hi-Rez including the four 78 solo albums - and Peter’s stuff comes off better in the larger mix, I’m surprised to say.

William Smart, carlwm and GodShifter like this.
  5. William Smart

KISS tickets for Mohegan Sun Sec3 row B $1250. Lol last time I sat 2nd row I paid $7.50

6. William Smart

So no I did not go. It wasn't the price,though 1250 I would never pay unless it included the night with Shannon. Ok that was bad. I didn't want to see them the last time, being anything less than the Hottest Band In The World that I remember. So the end of an era guys. But we have great memories. Peace

YardByrd and carlwm like this.
  7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Hey KISS fans, I was listening to a 1999 Eric Singer Project record, ESP, it's got Bruce Kulick and John Corabi on it, and I think it's really enjoyable! It really seems under the radar, though. It's all covers, but they chose mostly not well known songs, which I think helps. I really enjoyed their cover of Goin' Blind as well as Deep Purple's Never Before. Anybody else aware of this?

[​IMG]

8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not heard of this one. Sounds interesting though so thanks for the heads up!

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There were two versions, one had a few demos with bonus tracks. Ace is on one song...they did a live CD as well!

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

What are your opinions on it?

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I liked that they did pick some interesting covers. I think the only one that stuck with me was Free Ride.
    I really need to revisit it!

carlwm likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cheers for the reply!

Think I'll check it out.

13. William Smart

Thank You @BluesOvertookMe & @Curveboy I have to check the version with Ace on it. Hope you guys had a groovy holiday. Peace

carlwm and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

15. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Forum Resident

A new/old song uniquely blended !

Curveboy likes this.
  16. jmcgoldrick

jmcgoldrick Forum Resident

This is a great thread. I have been on a KISS kick since seeing them in concert again a month or so ago and it’s fun to listen to some of the old albums and read the comments, but it’s pretty daunting. Wish I would have found it in its infancy

17. William Smart

I came in around solos. It was incredible. the best group I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Some still drop in. If you post I'll read and comment. Peace

Cheevyjames, carlwm and jmcgoldrick like this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Eagles of Death Metal with an upbeat version of God of Thunder from their covers album.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Sounds like they were going for the Paul demo more than the finished product.

20. William Smart

my man your taste is exquisite.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  21. William Smart

As a rule I hate drum solos. Especially in Rock. They're over extended & sorry, but corny. Want to see a great drum solo? Terry Bozzio, Michael Portnoy, Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto etc. Great Style. Bozzio is a freaking animal. See I didn't say Bill Bruford. PaxAmoLux

carlwm, Matthew Tate and Ivand like this.
  22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I know this goes past our timeline here, but we caught them at the Garden this spring. Amazing show! Go, if they are coming near you. In terms of theatrics, you really can't beat these shows, and that includes the 70s shows. The technology just wasn't there back in the day.

William Smart and carlwm like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Nope...I can't do it, I've seen this show before performed by a band that was far more energetic, KISS 2019 doesn't work for me.

Christopher B likes this.
  24. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Ah, you'll dig it. I was against the make-up thing, but let's face it, at this point, Thayer blows away Ace. The guy's got big league chops. And we forget Singer has been in the band way longer than Criss and is also great :)

carlwm likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Forum Resident

The monolith Kiss thread is back. Love this thread so informal.

carlwm and RelayerNJ like this.