KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Version #2

Side A

I Stole Your Love
    Calling Dr. Love
    Take Me
    Got Love For Sale
    Shock Me
    Love Gun (maybe)

Side B

I Want You
    Almost Human
    Mr Speed
    Rockin in the USA
    Hard Luck Woman
    Rocket Ride

2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I’ll give it a go:

Side A
    I Want You
    Calling Dr. Love
    Mr Speed
    Shock Me
    Love Gun

Side B
    I Stole Your Love
    Christine Sixteen
    Rocket Ride
    Hard Luck Woman
    Makin’ Love

3. BusNoise

BusNoise Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Sandinista, post: 16989142, member: 31797"some of the keys stepped down a half step or full[/QUOTE]
    What was wrong with Crazy Nights being done in high keys?

4. BusNoise

BusNoise Forum Resident

Why would Anton have been better than Eric?

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Alright, so last week I decided to give the Vinnie Vincent Invasion debut a listen. It was. . . an experience. . . (If its an invasion then fire up the War Machine, it must be stopped!)

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It was a radical shift from his New York trashy style to a more meaty howl. It took some getting used to but I grew to love Paul's eighties vocals (except for most of Crazy Nights where he is just singing way too high.)

BusNoise likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Because Anton was a far more well rounded player than Eric Carr. That's the main reason.

We discussed it during the Dynasty and Unmasked portion of this thread, but the reason Fig wasn't selected for KISS after Criss's departure was two fold: 1) Fig felt strongly about his then band Spider and its potential to make it big. 2) Anton didn't really have the 'look' for KISS. He was already starting to lose his hair and outside of wearing a wig, his image just didn't fit with the long, dark hair that the rest of the members sported and then you add the make up into the equation. Ultimately, it made little difference as Carr was perfect for the band for the time period he was in it.

8. GodShifter

Yeah, I have to feel that a grungy, heavy like Carnival of Souls vibe would not have been Paul's first choice for the next KISS album. To me, much of his singing didn't work great for the material. It just wasn't his forte. There are, of course, some good songs on the album featuring Stanley, but I have to think he wasn't 100% sold on the direction at the time.

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think I have to disagree here; I think Anton and Carr were pretty well matched. Considering Eric came from the Bohnam school of drumming, but went on to play in disco/funk and later New Wave type stuff...

BusNoise likes this.
  10. GodShifter

The example I normally cite here is that Anton Fig went on to play with studio pros like Will Lee and Sid McGinnis with "The World's Most Dangerous Band" on The David Letterman Show. Those two, alone, had played with a wide array of musicians doing different styles of music either touring or recording. In other words, they were well versed pros who had a ton of experience in their repertoires. For instance, former drummers for TWMDB were Steve Jordan and Charley Drayton who also schooled session musicians.

Carr was a more straight ahead, driving drummer rock drummer who was pretty raw. I don't think Carr possessed the ability of the nuanced playing that a band like required. Fig was a studio pro, Carr was prototypical hard rock drummer.

11. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

Talk about going out with a bang, an excellent closing track. Nice driving riff to start things off, and the whole band is on FIRE here. Those acoustic touches give it a nice atmosphere. A good all out rocker to round things out.

But...

As ferocious as this track is, I can't say it's one of my favorites. It's mainly a few things that bug me about it. Peter's drumming during the hook, to me, feels kind of stiff and awkward, in a way that's hard to explain. It feels clunky compared to what he does on the verses.

Ace's solo, while certainly fast, is not really a favorite of mine. It's really just my personal taste here, as it feels a little too... frantic, all-over-the-place, for my liking, almost as if it was made up on the spot while the tape was rolling. Again, technically good, just not my cup of tea.

There are a few other things things that irk me about it: like the delay on Paul's vocals sounds weird at times (to me), and can't say I like the LOOOOOOOOVVVE!!! bit.

It also has the issue of there being no new lyrics after the solo, but that's the whole album so I can't (and don't) complain. Though if it weren't for Peter's drum breakdown (which is pretty cool, and one of my favorite things about the song, the other being that smokin riff) I wouldn't listen much past the solo.

Makin Love: a great KISS song, just not one of my favorites. (Don't kill me)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    GodShifter likes this.
  12. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

[​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe and Rockman67 like this.
  13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

If the album existed like this it would be one of the best Kiss records of all time. All killer no filler.

14. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Honestly, it's been so long I don't remember!:D

I'm a big believer that what we hear from a musician is rarely all they are capable of. Which is to say that I'm sure Eric was a hell of a lot more talented and well rounded than is there on less than ten years of KISS albums. And obviously Eric wasn't an original member and the band was no longer writing and recording from a position of strength so he was being told what to play.

What's presented to me on KISS records tells me Anton was more of a rock n' roll guy that would have steadied them and kept them from leaning too hard to go 'metal'.

carlwm, BusNoise and Rockman67 like this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

That was part of my point to @GodShifter
    Carr played in a variety of bands with very different styles than the BOOM BOOM BOOM of KISS.

16. BusNoise

BusNoise Forum Resident

I loved the high of Crazy Nights. I wish he had kept "Hell to Hold You", "My Way", and "Turn on the Night" in standard tuning (like the demos) instead of dropping them down a half step

Eric was great though

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Eric and Anton were both excellent. The band was blessed to be able to replace a much loved original member with such good musicians. Going to extend this to Eric Singer too.

They all had their different styles but they all suited the songs they were presented with.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Just been listening to Crazy Nights. Still love it! :righton:

William Smart, Rockman67 and BusNoise like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Forgot if I posted this before or not but it's worth repeating...came up on shuffle on the iPod yesterday. The end is great and a real nod to KISS fans.

S.U.N. covering I Stole Your Love

Sass Jordan vocals
    Brian Tichy guitar
    Michael Devin bass
    Tommy Stewart drums

William Smart and carlwm like this.
  20. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I wrote this a long time back but I was thinking of the "big three" as Lick It Up, Heaven's On Fire and Tears Are Falling. I wasn't including Crazy, Crazy Nights in that list, in part because it was less successful than the other three. And I generally like the Crazy Nights album.

William Smart, BusNoise and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It was a huge hit in the UK, surprisingly.

Going by chart positions alone, the big three over here would be CCN (#4), God Gave Rock & Roll To You (#4) and Unholy (#26). :)

William Smart, Rockman67 and BusNoise like this.
  22. Rockman67

Rockman67 Forum Resident

And here in the states they'd be:

Beth (#7)
    Forever (#8)
    I Was Made For Loving You (#11)

And their only #1 (on the Rock Chart): Psycho Circus

23. BusNoise

BusNoise Forum Resident

"Jungle" deserved to be a way bigger hit than it was.

24. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

No way!

GodShifter and Curveboy like this.
  25. GodShifter

"Jungle" is an awesome grungy, jammy tune, but there's nothing in it that suggests "hit". For one, it's too long for radio. Even if there was a radio edit, I don't think the song screams hit ! It was, however, by far my favorite tune from CoS.

So cool to re-read some of this thread as I was going back to find my review of "Forever". It's a bit of a shame the thread wasn't indexed as it would make it easier to find stuff in instead of just hoping you can hit on the right page; sort of like throwing a dart at a map of the US and hoping you get near Des Moines, Iowa. Lastly, I'm a bit sad that many of the links for the images and videos from this thread have been deleted or are no longer linkable. That's a bummer.