KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

My cat wakes me up to get either fed or petted. I figured C'mon & Love Me could've been rewritten and given to Peter to sing.

Hey there human why don't you wake
    Cause I just can't wait
    Don't you see me here right down by your knees
    I'm gonna pee where I please
    Get up & feed me!

Or

Wake up & pet me!

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Gene, Paul Asylum era interview. Campy dress styles but interesting to listen to what was going on with Kiss .

3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

We probably commented on this when we were doing the album, but it struck me this morning when listening to Dressed to Kill that unlike most of the albums of its era, most of its songs were never played much if at all live.

They certainly weren't driven into the ground live over the years, except for "Rock Bottom" and of course "Rock and Roll All Nite." Even "She" and especially "C'mon and Love Me" weren't live staples much past the 70s.

With the other 70s albums, at least when they were touring the album in question (and sometimes for an album or two afterwards) they often did tracks from the album live that they didn't do much past those tours, but I honestly can't recall ever hearing the six other Dressed to Kill songs live, even on the Dressed to Kill tour (although admittedly I only saw one show on that tour and that was 45 years ago and I was 12 years old at the time). I certainly don't recall hearing them on subsequent tours.

. . . Anyway, I'm off to search for rare live versions of any of those tunes now.

ejluther likes this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I love this tune...

Ladies In Waiting

5. Terrapin Station

:edthumbs:

That video is also interesting in that I don't recall Peter Criss having that drum kit that early.

William Smart, ejluther and Curveboy like this.
  6. JonCr

JonCr Well-Known Member

I found this thread way after it was over, but read every page over about a year and just finished. What a great thread! While not involved in the original discussion, since I devoted a year to it, I thought I would post some thoughts. Like many in this group, I found Kiss at an early age and they were my favorite group through high school and college in the 80’s.

I was very interested to re-visit their music and see if my memories and pre-conceived opinions would hold up after all these years.

Pre Thread Thoughts
    I loved all of their albums from S/T through Creatures. Hotter Than Hell was my favorite album.

I listened to the 80’s albums quite a bit when they came out, but they didn’t have legs for me and I haven’t listened to any of them in many years. My memory was each of the 80’s albums had a few good/great Paul songs and Gene was just mailing it in.

I liked Revenge quite a big and really liked COS. I listened to both of those for several years after they came out.

I hated Psycho Circus - it was my least favorite album.

I had barely heard Sonic Boom and I’m not sure I ever heard Monster.

Post Thread Thoughts
    I still love S/T through Creatures. Hotter than Hell is still my favorite.

I still think Psycho Circus is terrible.

The 80’s albums were better than I remembered - I even enjoyed HITS and Crazy Nights. This was a surprise to me. Gene’s songs weren’t as bad as I remembered.

I dreaded the discussion of the COS album given all of the negativity leading up to it. I was pleased that many liked it better than they thought they would. I still like that album a lot.

I was “meh” on Sonic Boom, but was surprised how much I liked Monster. Monster is a really good album - I’m disappointed I ignored it when it came out.

I got a little annoyed at some of the consistent negativity - some people seemed to put way too much effort into coming up with cute ways to say a song sucked. I was also surprise at all the Paul hate - all the shreaking comments - he couldn’t seem to win no matter how he sang with some people. I was also surprised at all the inter dispersed Sammy Hagar negativity - but that’s for another thread (I like both Dave and Sammy VH).

Overall, my favorite thread of all time and I thank GodShifter for all his hard work and all the great analysis and discussion. It was awesome!

Jon

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I just find it odd that you stop at Creatures and not Lick It Up. While their production is very different sounding I think in terms of song writing they are sister albums.

8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

And Gene slept with both of them. :D

9. Terrapin Station

At the same time.

10. JonCr

JonCr Well-Known Member

Thats a good point, but To me, LIU sounds more like the albums after it than Creatures.

SpaceAce716 likes this.
  11. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I don't know why but that cracked me up. I mean it's true, I remember that interview.

Now I know why I laughed. I just watched the interview. Ace was hysterical. Gene looked like he could chew nails. Still funny 41 years later

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    ejluther and Cheevyjames like this.
  12. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

If they were to do a KISS Biopic, I think the Snyder interview would be the perfect place to start and then go back in time...

13. William Smart

More like there could never be another Ace, but I like Bruce with KISS
    Start at the beginning of the end. I like it

superstar19 and ejluther like this.
  14. William Smart

Welcome to the greatest thread & coolest people ever. I agree on Revenge & COS. For me they're the best after the original 6 or 7 if you include Alive. I think my first or 2nd show Rush opened up. Waterbury Palace & New Years at Nassau Coloseum were in my first 4 shows

carlwm and ejluther like this.
  15. William Smart

S
    Seen them in NYC very early on too. I keep thinking Beacon or Academy of Music maybe. After those first few shows I was hooked. Anywhere from Jersey to Maine I went to see them. The shows back then were great. Raw,Hungry. Seen them from every view point. Behind the stage, nose bleeds, first row....it was a special time. And only here do I get to relive it with the grooviest people ever.

Deuce66 and Curveboy like this.
  16. Tom A

Tom A New Member

I'm new here, which is probably why I don't have permission to see your profile or send you a PM.
    I want to clarify the recording set up at the Colgate mansion. With regard to a studio in the house, we did not use it. It may not have been built yet. Eddie Kramer specified the Fedco Audio Labs remote unit. Here's an interview with Ace from 2010 where he mentions it:

Ace Frehley: Navigating with the Spaceman

It's in the fifth question, about the double-neck sound.

With regard to Paul Leka's songwriting, his best-known songs were "Green Tambourine" and "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye."

I am interested in the photo of Ace and Eddie on the balcony. I think I am in it, second from left. Can you help me with the source of it? I would very much like to obtain a copy.

17. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

And what were you doing there? Engineer?

William Smart likes this.
  18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Hi. Thanks for the information on Ace's album and Paul Leka.

The photo was posted on Ace's official Facebook and identified as being from his personal collection. see post here

William Smart likes this.
  19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Welcome, Jon!

This thread was an absolute joy to participate in. Not only a lot of fun but a great climate with minimal fighting amongst the posters.

Godshifter did an amazing job, and he deserves a lot of credit for how wonderful the experience was!

As far as the negative Hagar posts, it’s puzzling to me as well. I guess he slept with a lot of people’s girlfriends!

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

That's it. Sammy slept with my girlfriend .. :D:D:D:D

21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

It’s OK! Apparently it happened a lot. :cool:

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Thanks, man. I enjoyed doing it (though some albums after Creatures were a bit of beating). I cannot say enough for the other contributors for the thread. Amazingly cool and knowledgeable people. A great experience overall.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  23. GodShifter

I’m glad you enjoyed it my friend ! I can’t recall where the Hagar negativity occurred, but I’m sure it did. No hate from me in that regard; not a huge fan, but Montrose and early stuff is cool with me.

Haha, I might have called him the ‘Guy Fiedi of Rock’ in this very thread, but that’s not really a slam.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Still my favorite thread on the forum!

25. GodShifter

Yeah, possibly mine, too, though I really enjoyed doing the Black Sabbath album by album thread. I've also dug the Van Halen album examinations and a few others. Obviously, my threads are the best ;) :D.

(^^That was a joke, btw^^).