KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

Oh gosh, not Sonic Boom obviously! I meant Psycho Circus.

carlwm likes this.
  2. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Peter had another decent
    You are absolutely right!

With all the Dynasty demos floating around, a "Super-Deluxe." release is a no-brainer.

They could put Ace's "I will survive" on it.....which I maintain is one of his best songs.

Peter has one that, while it could use some lyrical help, is a cool song non the less. (And I think you could talk Peter into re-tracking his vocals after someone irons out the lyrics.)

And there are other ones out there I can't recall.

YO! G&P!!!

GET ON IT!!!

Chip Monk and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't think that song has anything to do with KISS or Dynasty...pretty sure it dates from around 1984 and the original Frehley's Comet demos.
    Unless you know something else?

Anthrax, phonograph and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

.....Umm......No, I don't have any "insider" info......I just thought it was a Dynasty demo.

I think that's how it was listed on Youtube the first time I heard it.

Either way......GREAT song!

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I checked out "Animal"

Cool tune......Very creative timing in the main riff. Vinny turns the beat around in very creative ways. I can see why he has his following. He was definitely a talent. He does some progressive things without making it sound like "Prog-Rock-Jazz."

It's funny to me how obvious it is that it's Flieshman singing and not Mark Slaughter.

....Ahh....Though the Invasion isn't my cup of tea....I miss the days when Rock was INTERESTING!

.....And it's oddly flabbergasting how Rock has actually died during our lifetime. At one time that would have been unthinkable.

YardByrd likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Rock has died? News to me man...so many incredible releases this year alone! Off the top of my head:

The Dead Daisies Holy Ground*
    Joel Hoekstra's 13 Running Games
    Herman Frank Two For A Lie
    Störmbreaker Strike The Match
    Lords of Black Alchemy of Souls Part II
    Smith/Kotzen debut & Better Days EP
    Iron Maiden Senjutsu
    Hardline Heart, Mind & Soul

Honorable mention to Whitesnake's Restless Heart remixed

*Best album of the year!

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

My favourite rock albums so far this year:

The Diablo Swing Orchestra Swagger & Stroll Down The Rabbit Hole
    Styx - Crash Of The Crown
    Big Big Train - Common Ground
    Crazy Lixx - Street Lethal
    The Poppy Jasper Band - One For The Road
    Dennis de Young - 26 East Vol II
    Gang Of Youths - Total Serene
    Volbeat - Servant Of The Mind
    Smith/Kotzen - S/T
    Chez Kane - S/T
    Night Ranger - Atbo
    Blacberry Smoke - You Hear Georgia
    Korpiklaani - Jylha
    Kaleo - Surface Sounds
    The Steel Woods - All Of Your Stones
    Jimmy Barnes - Flesh & Blood
    Inhaler - It Won't Always Be Like This

Probably missed a few and there's a whole bunch I haven't had a chance to pick up yet so I reckon that rock isn't so much dead as flourishing! :righton:

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

At some point, pretty much everything had been done, and listeners moved on, especially newer generations not tied to sounds of the past. It happens. It had a longer lifespan as a major cultural force than most genres.

There's still great rock records coming out, but the question is whether they're finding much outside of a niche audience. When people say "rock is dead," it's not that no one's making it, it's that (new rock) is no longer filling arenas or driving the larger musical culture, that's all.

And maybe it will come back down the line...musical trends can be very cyclical if you just wait long enough.

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Round my neck of the woods, there are plenty of rock gigs in reasonable sized venues (for the UK!) that sell out, and the audience regularly contains a majority (or large minority) of people who look like they are no older than mid-twenties.

The UK mainstream media ignores it but rock is thriving here.

YardByrd and Curveboy like this.
  10. walrus

Jealous. It's basically dead here. But my favorite bands have almost always been British anyways.

carlwm likes this.
  11. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Sorry man.....Is there a "Leather boyz with electric Toyz" in there somewhere?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Will be interesting to see if anyone can find a fresh-tasting approach to Rock. I thought I was doing it, but I kept getting dropped. So I guess what my take on "Fresh and exciting " Rock is, may not match that of the mainstream.

Which means....I'm at a loss......and it will be interesting to see if someone CAN do it.

13. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Interesting.

I'd be interested to hear what's turning the styles in the U.K right now.

14. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Mini is a wasteland?

Last time I played there was Warped tour like.......2009'ish?

Tweener Rock.

But a gig is a gig.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Billboard posted their top 200 best selling albums of 2021 you won't find much new rock or metal.

Billboard TOP 200 of 2021
    Billboard 200 Albums – Billboard

This year's most popular albums across all genres, ranked by album sales as well as audio on-demand streaming activity and digital sales of tracks from albums as compiled by Nielsen Music.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. walrus

Lots of boring indie rock in the midwest. That stuff is huge here for some reason. But the States in general seems to be pretty dead for rock. I'm just not into Jack White, so I'm pretty out of place here. I mean most of my favorite rock albums of the last couple years are European: W.E.T.'s Retransmission, Work Of Art's Exhibits, Thunder's All The Right Noises, the Struts' Young & Dangerous, plus Canada's Big Wreck's Nothing But The Sun. I'm just out of place here, liking good production, musicianship, and lots of melody. The best American stuff is in the bluesy and/or jam-adjacent scene: Grace Potter, Umphrey's Mcgee, Rival Sons, Tedeschi Trucks...but none of that stuff is ever going to be mainstream.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think the best bet is for enough time to have passed since rock really mattered, and then it will all sound fresh to new audiences again. There's only so much you can do within tonal music and a similar set of instruments, and over 60 years maybe it's all happened.

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Missed the new Yes album, somehow. That needs to be up there too. :righton:

18. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Oh, it's no skin off my bum.....I'm long past sent to the glue factory. I had my time and it was when I had Dinosaurs as opening acts. (Actually....that almost sounds like T-Rex opened for me.....which they DIDN'T....forget it....moving on...)

I just wonder what the kids are up to sometimes.

Guitar Center still exists. Fender and Gibson still make guitars......sometimes it feels like the music I grew up with is more popular that ever.

It's seems like every kid knows The New York Dolls, The Sex Pistols, KISS.

I remember being in a car with. this 19 year old kid, putting on "Dressed to Kill" and he starts singing along with "Room Service"

I'm like: "How the hell do even know that song?!?"

He's like: "What?!...It's "Room Service"

I'm like....."Boy.....have times changed."

But in spite of that....and I'm sure there are some decent bands out there, but nobody is making a LEGEND any more!

They used to do it ALL THE TIME!

19. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Though I didn't actually know any if the music you listed, I must admit, the names were very cool......(Although I think I've heard of big wreck.).........I still maintain this: It comes down to the topline. The singer has got to put something out there that goes beyond what's been there before. Something familiar enough to be catchy, and different enough to stand out. The Rolling Stones and Gun's N' Roses are two great examples. People had heard it before......but they hadn't heard it like THAT before.

20. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Tongue in cheek or a serious quality threshold?

:)

21. walrus

i don’t really know any children but I’ll take your word for it. I know my friends’ kids aren’t very interested in anything we were into…it’s funny, when I was growing up in the 90’s it seems like the (musical) generation gap was weakened…we liked NIN and Rage and hip-hop but also liked Floyd and the Beatles and such.

I think in that way things have regressed a bit, not in that kids hate their parents’ music, but more that there’s nothing really connecting what’s current to the music of the past in the way there perhaps was a few decades ago. (Sidenote: my wife has a coworker who’s 28-ish, and just found out about Kurt Cobain :hide:)

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Of course rock isn't dead, far from it. It's only more underground now. Seek and you shall find, said somebody sometime.

The Space Ace, carlwm and Curveboy like this.
  23. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

So.......I just listened to "Asylum" which has always been my favorite "Non-make up" KISS record, and noticed something I haven't been aware of until now......

THE MIX SUCKS!!!!

It's vocals, mostly guitars........and THAT'S IT!!!

No kick, no snare and no bass.

It's hard to get into the groove of a song (Or record) without those elements pumping.

I mean.....I just listened to "Uh All night" which I've always thought was a great song.......

......and the mix is ATROCIOUS!

I know KISS was in the "Do it on the cheap" mode at this point in time.........but COME ONE!!!

This mix stinks of Paul standing behind the mix engineer, ordering him to make calls that Paul isn't qualified to make.

ASYLUM needs a RE-MIX!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Or, it's in the top three best mixed KISS discs...ever.
    Phenomenal guitar sound, a wall of vocals and Eric Carr's second best drum sound (after Creatures.)

As for the other two I'd vote Creatures and Revenge.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital