Kiss Vinyl Reissues, Part 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

Also, if any of you are fans of KISS Killers, that album had different track listings for different countries. The 2014 hi-res digital version contains all tracks from all countries. As far as I know, you still can't get that version on vinyl because it was one of the LPs that were exclusive to the box set.

bartels76, Queezma and jeffreybh like this.
  2. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I didn't know it was included in the Road Case set. That set is looking better and better

3. batman144144

It also included Double Platinum, Greatest KISS, ......there was another live album in there......if you go to a hi-res digital retailer and look at their KISS albums you'll see stuff that was not offered on vinyl individually but was part of the big box set. Just about the only thing not included in the box set was Monster and Sonic Boom. Neither of those were part of the 2014 releases in any form.

4. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Gutted that this never got a seaparate release.
    I discovered KISS with my mates thru 'Rock N Roll All Nite' in '76 when I was 11....but the first album I bought was 'Alive II', and then backwards to 'Destroyer' and then finally to 'Double Platinum', which blew our tiny minds (again).

Would have loved a modern, careful and well mastered repress.

Isamet and Queezma like this.
  5. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Not a fan of the picture disc, but they are offering DP stand-alone:

Double Platinum Picture Disc

I was also hoping for a standalone reissue faithful to the original release.

6. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

It's stupid expensive but its awesome. It's sold out now so if anyone wants one good luck finding one for a "reasonable" price!

The box did come with Monster just not Sonic Boom.

batman144144 likes this.
  7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Great thread. Continuing to read all 5.75 parts. One question: How are the sleeve reproductions? I highly doubt UME has the original films from Howard Marks Advertising, so assuming most (all?) are facsimiles. Color, sharpness, etc. Thanks.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

All the ones I have are pretty nice. Tom Shannon and crew provided high res scans of most of what ume needed.

barnabyjames1 and OE3 like this.
  9. batman144144

So, I finally filled in most of the gaps in my hi-res collection of the 2014 remasters. I never picked up Creatures before because it was the '85 mix. I thought I had Lick It Up already but I noticed the other day all I had was a hi-res dub of my 2014 vinyl. Anyway, here's what I picked up:
    Hot in the Shade
    Lick It Up
    Animalize
    Creatures
    Revenge

That only leaves Carnival Souls. I have that on CD so I don't know if I'll be picking up the hi-res. I don't dislike the album, I just don't really ever listen to it. Oh, and the Peter Criss solo, I only have the '97 Remaster. I think I remember seeing someone post that the hi-res didn't sound all that good and it's another one I don't listen to very often. Although, I've actually grown to like it more over the years.

I know there were a few missteps along the way, maybe even a lot, but this was probably my favorite remastering campaign of recent memory. I think only the Zeppelin remasters were as cool and great-sounding as these.

sandimascharvel and Curveboy like this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have the COS hi-rez...it's not a huge leap but there is a little more fullness to the drums.

batman144144 likes this.
  11. batman144144

Yeah, I think I remember you saying that about COS before. The thing is, I listen to it, maybe, about every three years or so. I might still pick it up...

I remember you also said you really liked the sound quality of HITS and Revenge, so I'm looking forward to checking those out. I think you were also one of the ones that said Animalize sounded really good so I'm looking forward to that one, too. I've only come to like that LP within the last couple of years.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Curveboy likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah, Revenge and HITS were the biggest surprises in terms of leap of sound quality.

13. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Is Alive III on vinyl a significant inprovement over the CD version?

Thanks

14. batman144144

It's a little better but not much. If you already have the CD I'd say skip it.

15. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I have to say I really like the Peter Criss hi res. I had the original German yellow swirl, Japan and US CD's and the '97 US and Japan CD's and like the hi res enough compared to them that I sold all of those CD's . My original vinyl was unfortunately sold in the 80's so I can't compare to that.

I too have grown to like this album more, a lot more. I honestly didn't like it before despite trying but had it to complete the solo albums. Now, I listen to it often. I especially like the tracks Peter plays drums on and wish he did on all. You can tell which ones he plays on. He's got a style and tone all his own, and great feel. I'm guessing not playing on all had to do with his accident.

For 1974-82 the only CD I listen to now instead of hi res is Creatures. So that was a lot of '86, '87 and '97 CD's sold a few years ago.

batman144144 and Munger74 like this.
  16. Munger74

Munger74 Forum Resident

I have the Japanese vinyl of Peter Criss. This blows away the reissue easily and I actually like most of the reissues from 2014. Hunt this one down if you can. Is pressed on virgin translucent vinyl and is very dynamic, has great bass and is exciting to listen too.

batman144144 and sandimascharvel like this.
  17. batman144144

Thanks for all the info, guys. I had not heard about the Japanese vinyl before. I really don't listen to it very often. I would probably pick up the COS hi res first. Actually, I'd probably get YWTBYGTB first because I don't have that one at all.

sandimascharvel and Munger74 like this.
  18. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

I don't see a listing for 2014 Japan LP pressing of Peter Criss on Discogs but if it was a 2014 release it is almost certainly a digital to analog conversion of the hi-res masters available on HD-Tracks pressed to vinyl. Or alternatively that same master tweaked to reduce the bass or dynamic range to avoid the the limitations of the vinyl format.

19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I think he's talking about the original 1978 Japanese pressing.

20. Munger74

Munger74 Forum Resident

Yes that is correct.

21. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

I’m wondering if many of the Kiss Reissues are out of print? I am still waiting to get the following and most seem to have been out of stock for the last couple of months:

- Unmasked
    - Music From The Elder
    - Creatures Of The Night
    - Animalize
    - Asylum
    - Crazy Nights

Does anyone know? Thanks!

22. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

As ive been slowly collecting the catalog ive noticed periods - some lasting quite a while - where titles are out of stock and eventually make there way back. Paul Stanley, Revenge, and Unplugged come to mind. It does seem like its very rare to find all/most of the titles in stock at the same time.

The official shop has Animalize and Crazy Nights in stock.

i just ordered the green Dynasty from Sound of Vinyl as I had a coupon. Anyone know how the sound of the color vinyl releases compare with the standard ones?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    candyflip69 and thatguy1976 like this.
  23. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

Good to know! Thanks! I bought the green Dynasty awhile ago but haven’t gotten a chance to listen to it yet.

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If you really like the album (I do), then i think it is. The original was a pretty early loudness war victim, not as bad as some later CD's, but still unnecessary. I find the vinyl much more pleasant to the ears (the hi-res DL is the same source, and has a solid DR11 overall rating, so you have options there), it's also a lot less harsh on the higher frequencies.

Ivand likes this.
  25. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Thanks for your help. I love Alive III. Many great versions/performances and it has the only tolerable version of “I Was Made For Loving You”.

I think Eric Singer adds a nice vibe to songs from the 70’s with a very dynamic and fast drumming framework.

superstar19 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.