Klipsch chorus or Wharfedale diamond 240

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RiceMonkey, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiceMonkey

RiceMonkey Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone I wanted to ask for you all's advice on which one I should get. I recently found a $300 pair of Wharfedale diamond 240 and a $900 pair of Kilpsch Chorus. These will be going to someone that is a huge fan of rock/metal music, specifically heavy metal. The audio equipment will be in order: B&O beogram 4002 turntable --> schiit Ragnarok v1 OR B&O beogram 4002 --> Schiit saga+ --> schiit aegir. I know just regarding the signature sound alone the chorus is most likely what I should be going for, but I save a lot of money if I were to go for the wharfedale diamond 240. Which one should I go for when I factor in money cost? Much appreciated everyone!

Scott

2. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

I can't speak for the klipschs but I had a pair of the 240s and I really liked them they are a warm sounding speaker sort of like the older Ar speakers or advents and for that price I would snap them up for sure also one thing is they are a 4 ohm speaker

3. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

I had the Diamond 250s for a while. Really liked the speaker. I agree, snatch them up for that price!

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You are talking about speakers that are polar opposites in a way. Can you go listen to them?

The Wharfedale is a much more current speaker design and is going to be less efficient than a large Klipsch speaker. I don't know much about your amps, but hopefully they are capable of driving a speaker where the impedance dips down to ~4 ohm.

I have not heard any vintage Klipsch speakers so I can't comment too much on them. The newer Klipsch models I've heard I hated.

I do use a Wharfedale model from a few years ago, and they work well with extreme death/black metal (and trad metal, thrash, etc.), which is something I've been listening to since the 90s, along with many other genres.

It is entirely possible that neither of these speakers are suitable for your existing amps and personal tastes, so keep that in mind. Ideally you want to listen to any speaker before buying. Lots of choices out there.

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Given the low price and if the condition is good and you have capable amplification the Wharfedale speakers seem like a really good buy. You have far more to gain than lose with this deal.

6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

For me, the Chorus should sound great with that little amp and the tubes. The Wharfedales are a budget speaker in the Wharfedale lineup. I wouldn't expect them to match the Chorus in fidelity, but that depends on how much fidelity is important to the listener. The price though, is about half the new price. The sensitivity at 89db with a 4ohm rating that dips down to 3ohm *might* be aa tough call for the Aegir.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Khorn likes this.
  7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Very valid position.

unclefred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.