Klipsch owners, stand up and be counted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbacksrule76

Dbacksrule76 Forum Resident

RP-600’s thru Yamaha A-S501 really nice couple!!!!

The Pinhead, thetman and Gordon Crisp like this.
  2. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

My all original late 80's walnut khorns
    [​IMG]

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Nope, sorry bro, but nope.

4. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

anyone getting the new cornwall's or Heresey's?

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. Rollingthebones

Rollingthebones New Member

Currently listening to KLF-30's at home. Using KG 5.2's in my garage system and have some KLF-10's on standby.

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  6. HonestDave

HonestDave Well-Known Member

Lascala's with Crites tweeters and ALK Universal networks for my basement system and Heresy's for my living room system. Awesome speakers!

7. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Recently picked up some Klipsch RF-10s from the Salvation Army. Small but heavy floor standers from the Reference Line about 10 years ago.

Gregory Earl and The Pinhead like this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Don't be !:laugh:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I've owned many pairs of Klipsch over the years, Khorns, Cornwalls, Chorus II, KLF20s... plus a pair or two of book shelf models. For the past two years I've been running KI-396-SMA-IIs and they're pretty amazing.

Gregory Earl, The Pinhead and thetman like this.
  10. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

;)

11. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

Loving my Forte iii’s. Especially when Paired with a Tube SET amp. Just Magic!

[​IMG]

12. james

james Summon The Queen

Interesting. Which Line Magnetic amp is that? Any brightness? I'm interested in getting a Line Magnetic amp again. And maybe watching out for a pair of older Cornwalls locally.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

LM 805ia. It is not bright at all. Top end extension is very smooth and midrange is sweet. But it is a forward speaker and very dynamic in a good way even in lower volumes as it already fills my room.

SandAndGlass and james like this.
  14. The Pinhead

Has anyone got the new Cornwall IVs ?

displayname likes this.
  15. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident

1970's Cornwalls, Belles, Heresy's (and sold my Lascalas to get the Belles). Bob Crites says I have the most souped up Cornwalls in existence (had to replace the tweeters and woofer, crossover, and upgraded the posts and interior wiring- worth it!). Love them all!

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. james

james Summon The Queen

he's probably received enough accolades, but i'll give another thumbs up for Bob Crites. I was trying to refresh the crossovers in my Heresy II's and got myself into a pickle. He had me ship them out in the state I'd mangled them into and fixed them up for me. Great people

Garthb and The Pinhead like this.
  17. The Pinhead

I'm really looking fwd into Steve Guttenberg's online review of the Cornwall IVs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have run my legacy Altec Lansing A7's with two different Line Magnetic amps, including the 518iA 845-based SET.

You will find LM products to be an excellent fir for most any of the legacy Klipsch speakers.

19. The Pinhead

Absolutely. The vintage speaker that impressed me the most, EVER, was an AL I was demoed at hi-fi dealer once. Can't recall the exact model, but it was a 2-way design; a 15¨woofer and a huge exponential horn that looked like a harmonica. I'm talking mid-80s here.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

The higher end models, which you were listening to, used their commercial theater quality bass speakers, driver's and horns.

I would like to custom build a speaker, using the bass horn form the Klipschorn, the HF altec 511B horn and 908 series driver, a JBL super-tweeter and ALK crossovers.

That would give you the best of everything.

And you could power it with an SET amplifier!

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. The Pinhead

That'd be KILLER !:righton:. I remember people falling for speakers with multiple drivers, 4-5 ways; the more the better. I've ALWAYS thought 2-ways integrated the sound better. I picked my F2s over a way bigger JBL 4-way,5 drivers model, despite their being cheaper than the Ks. I was A/Bd , (volumes matched) and it took only 2 songs to decide which ones to buy.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

All that old Altec stuff was always two way. Most every P.A. system that you came across was two way, for those very same reasons.

Even on two way systems, the crossovers were still the weak link.

I found this out on the Altec A7's that I had custom built back when I was sixteen.

The problem was not that Altec's frequency dividing network could not divide the frequencies, the could.

[​IMG]

But at home, the HF horns are louder than the bass speaker and the you have to attenuate the volume level of the HF driver with the control on the processor, so that the volume of the HF horn matches the volume level of the bass driver.

Using a variable potentiometer to do this, as most every passive crossover does, results in the sound becoming more and more "dull" as you decrease the volume level to the HF horn.

In concerts, they leave the attenuation at zero, so it is not a concern.

The large Altec's that they use in the studio have the same driver's but the studio models have a smaller magnet, so the output of the HF driver is reduced.

[​IMG]

The ALK crossovers use an autoformer with different taps that you adjust to achieve this same function. The result is attenuation but with introducing the "dull" that a purely resistive analog volume control does.

You can see the taps on the autoformer (on the left) and see where I have the jumpers set.

The smaller crossover on top is a custom designed unit that passes frequencies from 6-kHz. on up, driving the JBL babycheek super tweeters.

[​IMG]

These are the raw Altec commercial HF horns, drivers and crossovers.

[​IMG]

You can see the these same HF horn and driver components in a home Altec Valencia speaker (the crossover is different).

[​IMG]

jpelg and The Pinhead like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

Here are the Valencia cabinets from the front with the grills removed.

[​IMG]

And, with the Grills on.

[​IMG]

Really, just scaled down A7 cabinets.

Altec's top of the line home speakers were still the A7 design, just with the bass cabinet inverted and the HF horn inside of the cabinet's, which were covered with a walnut veneer.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to a Sound and Vision article about a guy who had A7's in his recording studio and later went to work for Altec.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My Lascalas are stock but for the crites x-overs. Circa 1970.

djost, Gregory Earl and The Pinhead like this.
  25. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

Recently purchased a pair of Klipsch R-51Ms a couple months ago and I absolutely love them. Got them half price, too.

cdgenarian and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.