Knives Out (Thanksgiving 2019) Old School "Who done it" with a twist...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Simon A, Sep 9, 2019.

1. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

I enjoyed KNIVES OUT- to a degree. Felt there were some SERIOUS flaws. The acting was all top notch. It was all quite interesting until the ending recap/revelation- which I felt was TALKED TO DEATH. To the point where I actually kind of lost track and interest. Just wanting it to be over.

I'm surprised I have found no one else commenting on this moment near the end- before the explaining starts..:

From an online plot rundown:

"Blanc joins her, intending for them to drive back to the Thrombey home so he can give his final report to the family. They start driving and happen to pass Columbus Street. It’s 9:58, so Marta asks innocently if she can stop somewhere for a few minutes to drop something off. Blanc, none the wiser, agrees."

SERIOUSLY!?!? Right in the middle of all this murder/fire business... "Do you mind if I stop for a minute..." And she is accommodated without incident! Blanc sits there PATIENTLY with HEADPHONES listening to music!!! I don't think it would work out that way at all! That really worked against the movies credibility for me.

Bluesman Mark and willwin like this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I don't 100% disagree with you but it generally fits with the notion that they just hauled Ransom off in cuffs and so it was wrapped up in his mind. Why would he be suspicious of the request? Plus how else could they reveal Blanc was a Sondheim fan? :D.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. poidog

poidog Senior Member

Blanc is a P.I. not a cop.
    No authority to stop her, really.

4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Finally saw this last night. Very enjoyable, but we also thought the 'rundown' at the end was a bit much. Also could have done without that contrived southern dialect that D Craig used. He sounded like someone doing an impression of Kevin Spacey in House of Cards.

But all in all it was a very entertaining, well-acted movie.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Loved it:righton::cheers:

Simon A likes this.
  6. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

My wife & I were really looking forward to this, but after we saw it we were extremely disappointed. Even for an alleged "mystery", there were far too many convoluted plot twists, & too many scenes stretched out much too far, making it feel bloated.

They could have easily trimmed 20 minutes or so from the film & made it much better. When the medical examiner's office being set on fire was brought into the plot, I was pretty much done with it all & just wanted to see them get to the end. Which they did at least limp to. I was worried that as poorly paced as it was, they would just crawl to it.

tdavis0903 and willwin like this.
  7. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

This to a "T"!

Couldn't wait for it to end so we could go to Chili's and discuss how much we hated this movie. Didn't want to say anything during the movie to be rude as it was packed and everyone seemed super in to it. By the time we got to the car, girlfriend and I had both expressed how much we had hated it after sitting in bored silence for 2 hours. And I love Daniel Craig. A convoluted mess of a movie.

Sorry for troll, but didn't get this movie or the acclaim at all.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  8. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

No need to apologize. You both paid to go and see it and you do have the right to not have liked it.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw it tonight and loved it. Really fun. Was very impressed by how well written & directed it was.

Chris DeVoe and Simon A like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's still at four showings a day at multiple theaters in Kansas City, which is astounding for a film that opened for Thanksgiving.

[​IMG]

11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

That's pretty neat for a film of this type. I'm actually surprised that it's also still playing here in Quebec City in two cinemas (albeit in French).

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

13. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Ok, too long and Daniel Craig with a southern accent???? Puhleeze

MekkaGodzilla and Bluesman Mark like this.
  14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good film, very entertaining. Could have trimmed 10min though.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Saw it last night. I guess I don't like these sort of stories. About an hour in I just wanted it to be over.

Bluesman Mark and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The cinematographer of Knives Out wants to end the film-vs.-digital debate

“The Last Jedi is the biggest display prep demo of all time,” Yedlin says. While the majority was shot on film, approximately 50% of it was actually digital. And no, the digital shots aren’t the ones you’d guess — because you can’t guess. “They’re mixed in every which way,” he says, for reasons as simple needing another angle on a shot and not having any more film cameras available. Each time, film and digital are cut together seamlessly, sometimes even as cutbacks to the same shots.

Yedlin won’t mention any particular shots or scenes, but that’s the point — visually, you won’t be able to tell. In fact, he says, when looking at them in post-production, even he had trouble knowing which was which.

Simon A and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Thank you so much for that, it was fascinating. I wonder if @Vidiot has read that?

I found this part interesting:

Grain, the tiny, randomly generated particles that appear on each frame of film, is the one thing people do generally think about when it comes to the film look. Yedlin eschews the trend of layering a loop of grain scanned from a piece of film over digital footage. He has instead created an algorithm that uses probabilistic modeling to generate new grain that occurs randomly but within the same set of parameters as it does on actual film.
    Actually, Pixar has used stochastically generated film grain in their movies since they created Renderman.

Simon A likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, in the color-correction groups I follow, we've been talking about Yedlin's experiments on matching film and digital for 3-4 years. He's a very bright man.

Solaris, Simon A and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

And very talented cinematographer. I love the look of Knives Out.

Simon A likes this.
  21. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Finally watched this and loved it! Wouldn’t trim a second if this film.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Watched it a few nights ago. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Finally available to rent. Watched it twice. Best movie of 2019.

Chris DeVoe, GreggF and Simon A like this.
  24. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I saw this tonight. I enjoyed it. Not as good as I thought it was going to be but still enjoyable.

Loved the performances. In fact, I was more interested in the dynamics of the family than the whodunit.

25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Just caught it on the home video and I gotta agree with you.

Professional critics, amateur critics (cough-Oatsdad-cough) and us regular folk seem to be falling over themselves one upping each other on how GREAT this film was. After the audience was shown what had occurred to Harlan, from Marta's viewpoint, I looked and saw there was STILL an hour left! So, naturally, I assumed what we were being told was a ruse and a misdirection. I started to wonder if Inspector Blanc was even a real detective and not an actor hired by one of the family, or some other twist that I could not even imagine! This film is so clever, everyone says! But, no, it simply took another hour to explain what did happen which was pretty much what was revealed at the hour mark, minus a very minor twist involving Ransom.

Rian Johnson keeps getting a pass/bonus points for almost every film he makes - like he's some famous person's son and he gets over-praised because of that pedigree. This film was very well shot, looked nice (I especially like the "full green leaves on the trees in this shot, all the yellow leaves down on the ground in the next shot" depiction of Fall), was well cast and had an okay story - certainly not worth a 2 hour 10 minute run time and certainly NOT worthy of an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay. Please. It honestly felt like one of those hour-long Murder She Wrote/Father Dowling Mysteries from the 80's. And that "vomiting if I lie" stuff - man that's just right out of an unfilmed Three's Company Season Eight script. That's just B-A-D comedy.

I've not seen Brick, thought Looper was just "okay" (anything with Emily Blunt is worth checking out) and felt The Last Jedi was one of the worst Star Wars movies ever made.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Jarleboy and tdavis0903 like this.