Koss Phase /2 Headphones - HELP!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TJ Smith, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJ Smith

TJ Smith Active Member Thread Starter

I have a pair of these wonderful headphones. My only problem is the ear pads. They seem partly deflated for lack of better terms. This causes my ear to rub on the metal grate where the inner speakers are. Along with the weight of the headphones it rubs my ears too much and I can't wear them for long.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make the ear pads become full again? Do I need to inject silicone? How do I do that? Where can I get any items like this? I don't want to shell out 100 bucks for the new Koss Pro 4AA's. I got these for 25 bucks and they sound great...only problem is he padding.

PLEASE HELP!

Also: Can anyone tell me what the comparator (Blue side) and the ambiance expander (Red side) do?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Email Koss support and ask if they have replacement pads or what you could do to refluf your existing pads. Koss has awesome support. Although buying replacement pads is going to be expensive compared to the $25 you paid for the phones. Still, Koss has awesome support so ask them what they suggest.

Some DIY options would be to experiment with stuffing or wedging a ring of foam or felt under the lip of the ear pads. It looks like those pads have a lip inside that you can wedge additional foam under. The Creatology foam and felt that you can get at Michael's arts and craft stores is good for that sort of DIY experimentation.

Opening a little hole in the stitching and injecting something inside of the pads I don't think would work well. The more serious fix of that type would be undoing lots of the stitching to put in some replacement foam and then hand sewing it back up. That's a lot of work though and the results usually end up looking hand done. It's not the sort of project I would do myself cause I know my sewing skills and the end result wouldn't look good. And hand sewing that sort of vinyl is difficult.

You can also look for replacement pads from a different headphone (even a different brand of headphone) that are close enough to the same size that they'll fit. I have no idea what other pads will fit that Koss headphone. As an example, you can get replacement pads for the Brainwavz HM5 for $8.50 each (and free shipping) that might be big enough around and might fit your Koss (maybe). The outer diameter of the Brainwavz HM5 is about 12 1/8 inches give or take my rough measurement. They can be somewhat stretched a little bit if necessary.

3. TJ Smith

They say their PRO 4AA ear pads might work but I have no clue how to take off the old pads to add the new pads. I know it sounds silly, but I'm afraid to mess up.

I have no clue how to take the old ones off.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. Ham Sandwich

I don't know how those Koss ear pads are fit on. Looks like the pads may have a skirt that holds them to the ear cups. Similar to how the Sony V6 ear pads fit on. Difficult to describe in words. Easier to show a video. I'm guessing the Koss will be similar. There is also the possibility that they are glued on or attached in some other way that won't be so easy to remove as the Sony V6 pads.

Here's a youtube video of someone removing and installing the pads on a Sony V6

5. TJ Smith

I took mine apart and cleaned the contacts inside with CRC. The ear pads have skirts and is more of a thicker vinyl than in the video. For 5 bucks and free shipping I ordered Pro 4AA ear pads from KOSS and hope I can get em on. CRC Electronic Cleaner did the trick at cleaning the contact points and fixing some right ear static I've had in the past.

Thanks for your help Ham Sandwich. I owe ya one.

6. TJ Smith

The Pro 4AA ear pads did the trick. My ears thank you!

7. Ham Sandwich

Awesome! It's good to see older headphones get fixed up and get some listening use.

How do they sound? I've not yet been able to listen to them or the Pro 4AA.

8. TJ Smith

My Phase /2's sound quite well. With some adjustment on the headphones themselves and from my receiver they sound great. Better than anything I've owned before. Got them for 25 dollars and the ear pads for 5. With a little CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner it is a well worth it 30 dollar purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.