Kubrick

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by averica, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

My review of Eyes Wide Shut written in January 2010:

I first watched this film with my brother on DVD. It was so slow and boring that we were not on our knees praying for the film to end, but for each and every overlong scene in turn to finish. As it was Kubrick's first film in 12 years we sat through it all. We loathed it. A tiny 40 minute non-story bloated out by the slowest pacing ever to create a two and a half hour monster. The uneventful story itself is also revealed to be tiny with very low dramatic stakes. What is the point of this film?

Some critics have the audacity to call it a flawed masterpiece. Flawed piece of [censored] is too kind.

The best thing I can say about it is that some of the lights have a nice burned into the film-stock look to them. Yes, that is literally the best thing about the film. Curiously the exact same complaints and minor praise can be applied to his 1975 historical dud Barry Lyndon. Another incredibly slow, overlong, dramatically inert monster with pretty looking lighting created by real candles (a technical marvel at the time).

It's astonishing to think that it took about twenty years to adapt from a novella, a year and a half to film and a year to edit (my numbers might not be super accurate). The film could easily have been filmed within a month like a normal film. When I saw the extended argument in the apartment in the film Le Mépris (aka Contempt) by Godard, I thought, that's it. That is how they should have shot Eyes Wide Shut. They should have just quickly and messily shot a semi-improvised deliberately pretentious film over a few weeks for less than a million dollars. As it's so cheap who cares if no one beyond a few film critics see it and roast it? Instead they had to make a big budget production out of such slight material.

For reasons of masochism I have returned to the movie two more times over the last nine years. And it remains a colossal dud. If you accept the painful inert pacing and the tiny storyline then it's not too painful, but it's still far from being even borderline okay.

I decided to try something a little bit out of the box in an attempt to make it watchable for my fourth viewing. I decided to watch the whole thing at x2 fast forward. 95% of the dialogue remained intelligible, and the 5% I didn't pick up I either didn't care about or I could work out the gist from the dialogue surrounding it. This way the awful draggy pace will be picked up and the running time halved to a more realistic 75 minutes.

And the film was bearable. The crap story and banal dialogue etc didn't suddenly burst into life, but at least things moved at a reasonable non-patience trying speed. For the majority of the film I was thinking it was a tepid two star movie.

And then the last post-orgy stretch turned up. If anything, the film SLOWED DOWN even further as Tom Cruise revisited the previous scenes. Seriously, what film slows down as it reaches its climax? A normal film is always gathering speed so that by the end it's racing towards the end. Kubrick and the Coen Brothers are about the only filmmakers I can think of who start slow and stay at that exact same pace from start to finish. It's just wrong.

The Coen Brothers movies used to drive me up the wall with the slow pace of all of their films until I learned to expect, and accept it. Fargo for example was such a horrible viewing experience first time I saw it as it took forever to get anywhere. Now whenever I put one of their films on I say to myself to expect that it will be slow from start to finish. If you expect it to take forever to get anywhere then it can't frustrate you as it's exactly what you expected (it's not the traffic jam that's making you angry, it's your expectations of getting to your destination quickly that is causing you to lose your temper).

I can sit happily through almost any Coen Brothers film now, as long as it's actually a good film like Fargo, but Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut is way beyond the pale. Even at x2 speed the film drags at its climax. So the two star review ended up as one star because the story really is so small and insignificant and the pace is too patience trying. As entertainment it really, really fails. As "art" it fails because it's rubbish with nothing to say that can be mistaken as profound, unlike 2001, which at least suggests or hints at something being said.

Some arthouse film snobs say that some films are not meant to be entertaining, and work on a different level. I don't buy it. A film is meant as entertainment. If it doesn't engage on some sort of entertainment level then it's not very good. Well I'll happily be the philistine who stands up and says that Kubrick is a so-so director with a knack for finding interesting novels to adapt and then stepping back into the limelight and allowing others to big him up in order to create a legendary reputation.

1 out of 5 stars

ADDITIONAL:

Yesterday I re-read a substantial chunk of Frederick Rafael's memoir of writing Eyes Wide Shut, titled Eyes Wide Open. He indicates that he tried to write a denser, funnier, more detailed film with semi-interesting characters. And he would hand his drafts in and have Kubrick ask him to remove any new details not in the novella, junk anything resembling humour and flat line the characters to make them as nondescript and empty as possible*. Kubrick was also not keen for a long time in having the events at the start connecting with the ending in order to create another shapeless random film like Full Metal Jacket. He took a lot of convincing to bring Sydney Pollack's character back for the climax. And the "reveal" billiard-room scene that Rafael wrote was dismissed as too Bogart-Greenstreet, so it was blanded down with each new draft until it was just more banal nuts and bolts dialogue.

I get the impression that if the film had been made from one of Rafael's earlier drafts then a much more fuller, more entertaining and substantial film would have been made. He tried to bring life to it and Kubrick sucked it all out.

Rafael seems to think Kubrick deliberately removed anything interesting and quirky in order to create as blank a script as possible so he could later apply his directorial imagination to it. Unfortunately he had no imagination beyond how to light it. The problem with a good script, according to Rafael, is that it usually directs itself. There's an obvious way to shoot it and so the director ends up being told what to do by default. Kubrick preferred to have no obligations such as these.

So I think it's fair to say that Kubrick sucked more life out of the film than any other director would have.

A shame the book ends before the film was released so I don't know what the screenwriter thinks of the finished film.

* For example there was a fascinating idea for a line of dialogue. Kidman asks Cruise if he has ever fantasied that she was a boy? A show stopping line but Kubrick dismissed it straight away.

SOMEONE COMMENTED. THEY SAID I HAD AN AXE TO GRIND. I RESPONDED:

Nah, the movie is a pile of poo. My axe to grind is because of all the pretentious people who puff up his movies. He was not a God.

"requires some patience and intelligence to understand - obviously two traits you are lacking."

I've only watched the movie four times over ten years. How much more patience should I have before I'm allowed to disagree with the silly notion that it's a good movie?

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Fair enough. I strongly disagree with several of your points, but you obviously have given them some serious thought.

Thanks for your detailed reply .

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:laugh: Man, I've never warmed to EWS myself, but the amount of energy you put into hating it is actually quite entertaining.

4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I think someone would be better off just watching his TV.

Hardy Melville and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

This review is way too long and boring. Didn't read, but pretty sure I hate.

Solaris, SandAndGlass and BZync like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes.

But the over-the-top acting thing is what Nicholson does.

He was over the top in the shining, like he is over the top in these and other movies that he does.

That's just how he rolls.

unclefred likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I don't think Jack was ott in the Last Detail at all, I think he was in the pocket there, and on Cuckoos Nest I think it was just the right mix. Goin South is another story lol. I agree with your take on Jacks work in the Shining, it fit the material......I mean he has to be crazed when he does the 'here come Johnny!' it would look more ridiculous if he underplayed it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I saw Eyes Wide Shut in the theatre and the build up was intense....there was a lot of talk about Kubricks return, the nudity etc....it was a bit underwhelming. kind of fascinating in a weird way. ive never watched it again....not Cruise of Kidmans fault, the tried but, just not enough meat on the bone

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

Another case of over doing things in the media.

10. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

It's this exact type of condescending reply that makes me usually not post anything about Kubrick online. A person displaying independent thought that isn’t lined up with the agreed orthodoxy is scary and maddening to some people.

A person puts on a film. It’s self-evident to that person’s independent line of thinking that it’s not good, entertaining or even interesting. Person switches it off after X minutes. Now is that person an idiot or a have they made a reasonable, rational decision that the chosen film is not for them? I don’t apologise for starting films and not finishing them when they turn out to be, in my opinion, bad. I don’t need to watch all four hours of Heaven’s Gate to know it’s a turd when the first 45 minutes have been a charmless, boring and ****ty experience. Other opinions very much exist.

---

My review of Lolita (1961):

About a decade ago I tried to watch this on television. It wasn't bad, just not interesting. I abandoned it at about the 20 minute mark during the dance. This time I got about 50 minutes in, up to when Humbert gets married. That same criticism stands in that it's not so much bad as just not interesting.

The role of Lolita has been badly cast. In the book I think she is twelve years old. The film doesn't specify her age but she looks like twenty. I guess it's the fashions of the time, her hair style, her height and her build that conspire to make her look comfortably of age. If she doesn't convince as a kid then the whole story goes out the window. Why shouldn't Humbert date her? Also the actress gives a fake, mannered performance that was pretty bad. There is a distinct disconnect between the script and the actors, who seem to be stranded having to emote a bunch of emotions that don't make any sense. Shelly Winters, as the mother, in particular is given a bunch of inexplicable emotions to run through by the script. Why does she fall for Humbert so quickly? I didn't believe any of it – the script, the acting, the motivations of the characters and especially the whole role of Lolita.

It's a very fake, mannered movie. When Mason starts laughing over that weird note Winter's has left him, I felt I was watching an incompetent melodrama. The film doesn't work.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I don't know if it's the main thing I love about Kubrick. It is one I think he shares with Bergman, though. They both have what to me is the uncanny ability to take what seems like a very cool perspective on the most intense emotions. I find this combination immensely appealing and most effective.

Why is that approach so great? I think it's because they both essentially accepted the nature of the medium as limiting, but were largely able to overcome that limiting nature. And say something, show something, of great value. the cool distancing is overcome.

In experiencing a film the process is one where we are on one side of the screen, passively watching it. We know (even if we do not stay in constant awareness of such fact) that the director and the rest of the crew and cast involved in its production have chosen how to present what we see to us. Some directors (most?) I think take an approach that is "hot" - meaning they use the camera and angles and soundtrack and everything else to give an experience which tries to create the illusion that we are not seeing what we see as a passive observer. But this is silly, since the medium always remains what it is.

Bergman I think was always conscious of how the limits of the medium affected what it could show, and not show. The actors are acting. Their expressions are a form of mask (as in Persona). By keeping this awareness present, he nonetheless could and did show us something essential, meaning here of the essence, of human experience.

Kubrick if anything used even more of that cool distancing but also to great effect. In his film world the timing of what occurs in each shot, including the dialogue, makes use of spacing that fits with that coolness, rather than a sort of forced hotness. The effect of the kind of jump cutting approach to editing is to make it more hot, the film viewing experience less contemplative. The irony for me is that a rushed approach to filmmaking and editing actually creates a distance between me and what is shown since I end up getting caught up in my own experience of the film rather than in seeing that essence of human experience that Bergman and Kubrick wanted to show.

Not that hot editing has no place. But it affects the way the subject matter of the film works.

Take Barry Lyndon, which I think is perhaps the film that most divides views of Kubrick. The events that occur in the film could, with a different director, have been portrayed in much less time. But I think much would have been lost with a faster pace, quicker cuts. Less pauses in the dialogue. Take the scene where Barry encounters Captain Feeney and his son. The second time, on the road (although the first time works as well). Barry approaches a man in the middle of the road who is facing directly away from him. We understand from the camera angles. have an awareness, that here we are seeing Barry walk into, well, what? We on one level know that Kubrick has paced this scene as a developing one where at first we feel something is wrong, about to happen, but not sure what. Just as Barry did not know what, but with a rising anxiety. Will he be able to get through this without some injury to his position?

Without the pacing Kubrick used, we wouldn't have had the time, wouldn't have had the setup, to understand what Barry is facing. The conflict between his own intentionality and the wicked ways of the World that thwart his wishes would be less evident.

The approach taken of cool distancing recognizes that it is Barry and not the viewer who is experiencing what is shown. But we overcome that by recognizing what is common to his and our experience. That is why it works.

enro99, Jack Lord and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

When I first saw it I thought I really liked it (well, it was a new Kubrick film). But when the glow wore off, I also think it’s a bore. The last time I watched it I tried skipping to parts I thought I liked: I couldn’t find any this time.

Also, Tom Cruise sucked.

wolfram likes this.
  13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I think 2001 is the most important film ever made. It will never be topped.

Dr. Strangelove is a stone cold classic as well.

A Clockwork Orange is my favorite. I love everything about it, the music, the design, the dark humor, Malcom McDowell.

enro99, Ghostworld, Old Rusty and 3 others like this.
  14. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

When a "review" begins in the manner yours did, everything that follows is redundant. We get it, you hate the movie. Your reaction is not "scary", it's just boring.

BTW Lolita was indeed 12 in the book. No studio, then or now, would've allowed a prepubescent celluloid Lolita. Sue Lyon was in her mid-teens. You're entitled to your opinion, but your critique of the film is frankly inane.

KeninDC, Antmanbee and Hardy Melville like this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I don't think I've seen a Kubrick film I didn't like, but
    I misread that and thought you said 'frankly insane'. That seemed to fit fine.

KeninDC likes this.
  16. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Sometimes, when faced with one of life’s many difficult decisions, I ask myself: What would Stanley do? This has not failed me yet.

Old Rusty and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

I like Eyes Wide Shut. Far from Stanley's best work, but still much to appreciate in it, not least the excellent music by Jocelyn Pook, of whom I've become quite an admirer. It's sad that it was his final film, but sentiment aside, I still like it, but I trust most of you will be relieved if I don't go on about it. That would be terribly tedious.

Jack Lord and unclefred like this.
  18. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Do go on...

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I like Eyes Wide Shut and I play it at the correct speed.

Antmanbee likes this.
  20. For the record I love Stanley's movies. They do something to me most movies don't: they confound my expectations. When some of his movies conclude I have no idea what the hell just happened. 'The Shining' is a perfect example of this. It took repeat viewings for my brain to piece together the puzzle that Stanley built. To me, this is the one reason above all else that makes Stanley a special movie director: it's HIS movie, not mine. Caveat emptor is my warning to those unfamiliar with Kubrick's style.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

enro99, SandAndGlass and Jack Lord like this.
  21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I reviewed numerous Kubrick DVD & Blu-ray releases for the Home Theater forum. Here are my comments on just the films from the most recent Blu-ray box set:

Lolita

The advertising campaign for Lolita famously posed the question “How did they ever make a movie of Lolita?”. The answer is “Very carefully”. Nabokov’s controversial and provocative novel of a professor’s indecent obsession with an underage girl hardly seems ripe for a big screen MGM production. In order to translate the novel into something that could actually be released in theaters in 1962, Kubrick dialed down the eroticism and dialed up the comic frustrations of Humbert, the story’s pathetic protagonist. The film also increases the age of Lolita by at least two years from the novel and casts an actress to play her who is a couple years older than that.The film is anchored by a fearless lead performance from James Mason as the repressed Humbert. In a film with nary a single likable character, Mason somehow manages to create empathy in the viewer as his misguided romantic notions are thwarted at nearly every turn even though those same viewers know that he more than deserves every indignity thrust upon him. Of the supporting cast, Shelley Winters hits the appropriately shrill notes as Charlotte, and Peter Sellers chews up all available scenery as Humbert’s secret rival, the chameleonic Clare Quilty.

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Choosing Cold War dread of nuclear annihilation as a premise for a broad comedy was a gutsy move coming, as it did, less than a year and a half after the Cuban Missile Crisis, but Dr. Strangelove... spoke truth to power in ways that a more conventional political thriller never could. Kubrick gets the most out of a perfect cast top-lined by Peter Sellers in three separate roles, George C. Scott in maximum scenery chewing mode, Sterling Hayden delivering the most insane lines of dialog with supreme baritone conviction, and Slim Pickens in an iconic nuclear cowboy role that was originally slated for Sellers before a heart attack prevented him from doing it. The rest of the cast is filled out nicely by comic ringers such as Keenan Wynn and Peter Bull.More so than is typical, Kubrick gives his actors plenty of room to play and do what they do best. He also makes the most out of every angle of one of his greatest sets, President Muffley's war room (where there is no fighting allowed). While the opening scenes build slowly, the pace of the film snowballs as things progress, stopping only for comic set-pieces such as Pickens' Major Kong's description of the contents of an emergency rations kit, Sellers' President Muffley conducting the greatest one-sided phone conversation not conducted by Bob Newhart, and Dr. Strangelove's vivid monologue describing the fundamentals of nuclear bunker life.

A Clockwork Orange

After having the plug pulled on his planned big budget epic about Napoleon, Kubrick decided to shift gears and make a relatively low-budget adaptation of Anthony Burgess' controversial novel. The future fashioned here is a long way from the high technology space faring of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The world of A Clockwork Orange is pure post-swinging London stylization. The stylization serves to create an ironic emotional distance from the terrible acts of violence that are depicted throughout, but at all times, the viewer is aware that the film is deconstructing modern society more so than speculating about what a future society will be like.Throughout the 1960s, British cinema produced a series of new young stars, largely appearing in adaptations of novels from the "Angry Young Man" literary movement of the prior decade. Late in this cycle, in 1968, director Lindsay Anderson simultaneously subverted and built on this tradition with his film "If…", providing the first big break for actor Malcolm McDowell. Kubrick recognized McDowell as a perfect fit for the character of Alex, and made a juvenile delinquent film to end all juvenile delinquent films. McDowell brings exactly the right sensibility to the part, pulling audiences in with his unabashed joie de vivre while simultaneously performing unforgivable acts of violence. His first person narration sets a perfect conspiratorial tone, much of it pulled straight from the novel and making heavy use of Burgess' invented "Nadsat" slang which combines cockney expressions with Russian/Yiddish terms. By the end of the film, one feels almost guilty about how sympathetically they are rooting for Alex to get one over on the government bureaucrats who have "programmed" him.On one level, the film can be seen as a funhouse mirror illustration of the violence inherent in youth and the futility of society's attempts to stamp it out. On another level, it can be looked at as a treatise on fascism versus free will. Laying those two concepts on top of each other raises some disturbing and thought-provoking questions. Rather than trying to provide facile answers, Kubrick allows viewers to make up their own rassoodocks.

Barry Lyndon

Much like its protagonist, Barry Lyndon is undoubtedly attractive to look at, but can be difficult to love. It is a movie of over three hours in length that demands multiple viewings to fully appreciate. Similarly to David Lean’s Doctor Zhivago, the main character is something of a blank slate underplayed by its lead actor so that the events of the film can written upon him. Unlike Doctor Zhivago, Barry Lyndon has no romantic notions that its protagonist is not substantially responsible for the tragedies he eventually experiences. Rather than tragic romance writ large against a historical backdrop, it is a study illuminating the vanity and weaknesses of human nature observed with a wryly ironic perspective underlined by the counterpoint to dramatized events occasionally provided by Michael Hordern’s narration.The production design, costume, make-up, and cinematography make every scene, inclusive of even the most upsetting and ugly depicted events, feel like a painting come to life. Kubrick famously lit several scenes only by candlelight using a specially designed lens and high speed film. The candlelit interiors are every bit as impressive as advertised, and the exteriors shot in Ireland as well as in and around real European castles and sprawling estates, are every bit as beautiful. Viewers put-off by the lack of likable characters will still be mesmerized by the eye candy underscored by equally beautiful passages of classical music.

The Shining

Kubrick's one and only attempt at the horror genre uses King's novel as a jumping-off point, but takes things in a completely different direction by the film's conclusion. Kubrick adds psychological elements reminiscent of The Turn of the Screw and Don’t Look Now to the mix, purposely keeping the plot much more vague than in King's novel. To be honest, I'm not sure he is entirely successful as the end chosen by Kubrick proves to be more than a little contrived and unsatisfying. The ride is certainly an interesting take on the fear of what could happen if one's nuclear family "goes nuclear", but the destination is a disappointment.That being said, the film benefits from excellent performances from its principal cast who modulate steadily from seemingly self-conscious low-key routine family exchanges to hysterical aggression and terror as the film progresses. The innovative use of the steadicam to create a sense of movement through space not only makes the sets seem impressively massive and real, but also adds to the sense of the hotel itself as a menacing and threatening presence. Kubrick, in collaboration with camera operator Garret Brown and lighting cinematographer John Alcott impressively manages to create tracking shots that begin and end on typically "Kubrickian" strong images with more than a few in the middle as well.

Full Metal Jacket

While Kubrick's Paths of Glory from 1957 was a clear indictment of the elite officer class with an unambiguous pacifist message, Full Metal Jacket, adapted from the Gustav Hasford's novel The Short Timers, attempts to do nothing more than to provide a grunt's eye view of war. The emphasis of the movie is on the mindset of the soldiers and how they rationalize, with varying levels of success, their seemingly irrational profession. By purposely avoiding serious examination or comment on the necessity of war, political or otherwise, the film enhances its boots on the ground perspective about the insanity of the experience. Structurally, most reviewers have described the film as being divided into two parts, the first consisting of the Parris Island basic training and the second being the Vietnam experience. This lines up with the novel on which the film was based which had three sections, only two of which were adapted for the screenplay. Looking at the structure of the film independently, however, it seems to divide more neatly into thirds, with the Vietnam segment starting off as a semi-satiric piece which at times is reminiscent of the absurdity of Dr. Strangelove..., and then shifting radically in tone once Joker and his brothers in arms find themselves pinned down by a sniper in an actual combat situation. The film's commercial prospects were no doubt hurt by its release only six months after Oliver Stone's Oscar-winning Vietnam film, Platoon, but viewed in retrospect, they actually complement each other nicely. Stone's film was rooted in his own personal experiences in Vietnam with a highly allegorical plot. Kubrick, being more removed from author Hasford's Vietnam experience, is slightly more detached from the material, less leading in how he wants audiences to interpret the events on screen, and thematically more concerned about soldiering in war in general than about Vietnam in particular. Both films were a long way removed from the hoo-rah jingoism of the previous summer's immensely popular Top Gun. The cast is uniformly excellent, with Modine providing a suitable center as the sardonic everyman. The film features career-defining breakout performances from D'Onofrio and Ermey. D'Onofrio reportedly gained 70 pounds to play Private Pyle, and completely disappears in the role. Ermey, a retired Marine who had been a real life drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, California and was initially hired on the film as a technical adviser, made sure that he was seen in uniform drilling the actors he trained and eventually won the part away from the actor originally cast in the role. His improvised vulgarities were incorporated into the script to great effect. The strength of these performances did lead to criticism upon the film's initial release that the Vietnam scenes, in which they did not appear, were a relative disappointment.

Eyes Wide Shut

While not intended as Kubrick's final film, Eyes Wide Shut manages to provide an interesting last chapter in his professional life by hearkening back to elements from his previous films without actually seeming like any of them in tone. Superficially, the structure resembles that of A Clockwork Orange in the way the events and locations of the first day are revisited on the second day much like how Alex re-encounters his victims after taking "The Cure". The film is also something of a modified "rake's progress" a la Barry Lyndon, although the degree of sexual frustration encountered by Cruise's Bill Harford has an even more direct antecedent in the character of Humbert Humbert from Lolita. The Lolita tie suggests that there is an element of dark comedy to Harford's constant frustration, and I believe there is, but the movie never betrays it with a wink, with the possible exceptions of a scene involving Alan Cumming as a hotel clerk, and the great final punch line delivered by Kidman. Kubrick was a big James Cagney fan, and I think he enjoyed having tyro actors give "large" performances when it worked for his movies. Cruise is certainly in this mold, as was Jack Nicholson in The Shining and Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange. He is asked to play the part more or less like he plays all of his parts, but the sexually frustrated and increasingly paranoid character works against this established persona to an interesting effect. Kidman is absent for large sections of the movie, but has two great scenes, which is certainly the best any actress has fared in a Kubrick film since Marie Windsor in The Killing.

Synopses, comments on presentation on disc, discussion of included extras, and some formatting quirks due to the forum moving to a couple of new platforms over time, are available in the full review here:
    Blu-ray Review - Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection Blu-ray Review

enro99, PTgraphics, Antmanbee and 2 others like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

23. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

This may be of interest.....

Andrew Biswell did his undergraduate and Masters degrees at Leicester. I've met him a couple of times. He's a close friend of a former colleague. His work on Burgess was his PhD at Warwick.

The Clockwork Condition: lost sequel to A Clockwork Orange discovered
    The Clockwork Condition: lost sequel to A Clockwork Orange discovered

Old Rusty likes this.
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Ryan O'Neal is a somewhat underrated actor who makes the most of whatever a script and Director will allow him.
    He seemed kinda mediocre in a badly scripted/directed mainstream bore like Love Story,
    but I thought he did a very good job in Barry Lyndon. He could also surprise and impress
    in more imaginative and quirky fare like Tough Guys Don't Dance:

"Oh God! Oh Man! Oh God! Oh Man! Oh God! Oh Man! Oh God! Oh Man!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    stepeanut likes this.
  25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I actually found the second half more intense. Snipers scare me a lot more than Drill Instructors.

SandAndGlass and Old Rusty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.