Kylie Minogue: 'Disco' - 15th Studio album (November 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jul 16, 2020.

1. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

It only lists writers, though - no producers yet except for Say Something. So Mirwais may yet make a prominent appearance in a production-only capacity... :)

Bink likes this.
  2. rfkavanagh

Some more U.S. exposure/another review for Say Something on the Variety website:

Dua Lipa, J Balvin, Bad Bunny, Kylie and More Top Singles of the Week - Variety

Kylie Minogue “Say Something”
    It’s one of the many weird disconnects of 2020 that this horrible year of the pandemic has also seen some of the best disco songs in recent memory, from Lady Gaga, Dua Lipa, Jessie Ware — and now from someone whose 2002 hit “Can’t Get It Out of My Head” looms large over those records, Kylie Minogue. “Say Something,” the first single from her forthcoming 15th (!) studio album — called, naturally enough, “Disco” — has a driving rhythm and an irresistible chorus, not to mention the perhaps unintentionally relevant lyrics: “We’re a million miles apart in a thousand ways…Love, it never ends, can we all be as one again?”

AndrewK likes this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Close.. vert, very close

bob60 and Bink like this.
  4. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

She is worth seeing live. I travelled to London in 2016 to see her Christmas Show at Royal Albert Hall. It was amazing.

When I passed through customs in London, the officer asked me the purpose of my visit.

My answer: "I'm going to see Kylie Minogue!"

Luxury_Liner and Mylene like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve had a good feeling about Disco from the start, but it’s great to see this. The worst thing is having to wait another 3 and a bit months for the album to ‘drop’.

Bink and Mylene like this.
  6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I often dip into the Pop Justice Forum to pick up any Kylie related news and it seems that an insider has indicated that it was decided that the Mirwais tracks did not fit the direction that she wanted to take on this album.

She will apparently appear on his forthcoming album.

It's probably a good thing - a Mirwais produced album would not do much to dispel the accusations that Kylie is copying Madonna.

rfkavanagh and tin ears like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Pop Justice is too intense for me. Makes you appreciate the mods on here.:D

Bink likes this.
  8. Bink

Yeah I don't think I could live there all the time! I just pop in from time to time.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Lots of knowledgeable people though. I always thought I was a pretty passionate fan of some artists, but they take it to another level. The Madonna threads are vicious.:D

tin ears, bob60 and Bink like this.
  10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I hate those kind of places, those mega fans freak me out...

11. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I’m at least 20 years too old to be a part of Pop Justice.:)

12. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Italo disco often had futuristic/space themes. It would be a nice source of inspiration.

Bink likes this.
  13. Bink

Whenever I hear the last section of Say Something (the part with 'Love is love' etc) I keep thinking of One & One by Robert Miles!

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Has anybody tried disco dancing to it yet.....?

15. Bink

I am currently listening to Golden and I am reminded of the change of approach she took with that album and the influence of the new record company.

She made it clear in interviews that BMG A&R man Jamie Nelson had some influence on the Golden album. Given that it's seems to be quite a cohesive album rather than just a collection of songs, I hope he will have just as positive influence on Disco.

In fact I reckon BMG's tactic has been to promote her as an album artist and they have targeted the more adult radio stations. There seems to be an acceptance that it's unlikely that she will be scoring big hit singles anymore.

rfkavanagh, Mylene and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. rfkavanagh

If I recall correctly, Jamie Nelson was Kylie's A&R at Parlophone on Fever, so they have a long, successful, and trusting history together. He only joined BMG in 2015 - I'm sure he was a big part of her moving to BMG after Parlophone and the Roc Nation fiasco with Kiss Me Once (which I think is an unfairly maligned album overall, but certainly not what it could have been).

Kylie's been out of the Radio 1 artist age range for almost a decade now, so Radio 2's her biggest exposure opportunity - and a larger audience anyway (if a theoretically less culturally influential one). For Golden, they had some dealings with Heart and Capital as well - Heart even got a unique mix of Dancing that was exclusive to them for airplay.

It's sad to think that the days of minimum-top-five singles for Kylie are most likely gone, but beyond age itself, she just can't compete in a streaming-led world. But she's still a hugely profitable artist since she sells bucketloads of physical formats - particularly when they release 27 different versions that mega-fans will buy. (I may or may not be one of those gullible people.)

She still has a very good chance of getting a UK #1 album with Disco, becoming the first artist to have a #1 album in five consecutive decades. (Can't remember if that stat stands alone or gets qualified as the only solo artist or only female artist.) A major achievement for a singing budgie with Rick Astley's sped-up vocals... :D

17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Paul Weller achieved this feat a couple of weeks ago...

18. Bink

You are right about Jamie Nelson working at Parlaphone and being a strong reason for the BMG move. They obviously work well together.

I thought Barbra Streisand was the first artist to achieve five number one albums in 5 decades. Or was that just in the US?

19. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I believe this fella had something to say on the genre:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suffered from market oversaturation, but I'm betting re-assesment/respect is waiting for JK somewhere in future.

scobb and Bink like this.
  20. rfkavanagh

To my knowledge, that's just the US. I guess if Paul Weller just managed it in the UK, Kylie's feat would be qualified as the first female solo artist to manage it. Still a major achievement if it happens!

Bink likes this.
  21. rfkavanagh

Just looked up the Paul Weller stat - he has achieved UK number one albums in five consecutive decades, but not as a solo artist. His '80s number ones were with The Jam and The Style Council, so as a solo artist he's managed four consecutive decades. Paul McCartney and John Lennon appear to be in the same boat. Still, nothing to sneeze at!

Other UK stats:
    • Cliff Richard was the first male solo artist to score UK number one albums in four consecutive decades ('60s to '90s).
    • Kylie was the first female solo artist to have UK number one albums in four consecutive decades ('80s-'10s). Hopefully to be extended soon.
    • Elvis has had UK number one albums in five different decades starting in the '50s, but not consecutive decades - he missed the '80s and '90s.
    • Ditto for The Rolling Stones starting in the '60s; they missed out on the '00s.

The Barbra Streisand stat is number one albums in six consecutive decades in the US. Amazing. For a UK stat, she was the first woman to achieve year-end UK best seller (in 1982, for Love Songs).

tin ears and Bink like this.
  22. Bink

Yes I have just been looking this up too.

If you give Paul McCartney the flexibility to include his solo and group albums, he has had number one albums in every decade since the 60's upto the 2000's - ie five.

23. Bink

Correction - Paul did have a UK number one in the 2010's when Abbey Road was re-released last year. So 6 in each decade.

rfkavanagh likes this.
  24. rfkavanagh

But not as a purely solo artist, so Kylie still has her shot!

(If you parse the data enough, I'm sure everyone can claim a record of their own...) :D

Bink and Luxury_Liner like this.
  25. rfkavanagh

Bink and Mylene like this.