Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd (New Studio Album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Dec 7, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

It's called a "signature sound". Lots of artists have their own. People say the same about Enya but she's deeper than the layered vocals and striking string notes. And so is Lana. She sings from her soul.

2. RVA_101

RVA_101 Hoops McCann

Chemtrails and Blue Banisters did not do it for me like NFR did (now that was truly a special record). Will be interesting to see where she goes with this one. As well as what she did with regards to all the stolen hard drives/lyric books/etc.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  3. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Looking forward to the album! I love the first single even though it doesn't break any new ground. I'm always excited for new music from Lana. I'm not that excited for all the features though (except for Father John Misty), but I hope they turn out better than some of the features on Lust For Life.

Known song titles so far...
    Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd.
    The Grants
    Sweet
    American VVh
    ore (A&W)
    Fingertips

Preordered the white vinyl and will probably get the standard and/or the Amazon exclusive too... :help:

MonkeyTennis, Exitmusic and D-rock like this.
  4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly. What she needs to do is more Lana Del Rey music and that's exactly what she is doing.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  5. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

That new single is brilliant (again) she’s definitely one of the best contemporary artists out there

Exitmusic, D-rock and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Not exactly hit single material, but it's rather mesmerising nonetheless. I like the path she's on, and I hope she will keep following it.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It really is.

8. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

I find the "love me so I can love myself" schtick and sparse musical arrangements a bit wearisome even if her voice is still sublime.

Just wanna hear something fun from her again like Groupie Love or the still astounding Off To The Races.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Anything without trap beats or guest rappers is OK with me. Both are far too overdone in music over the last decade. Tommy Genesis might be something different on the new album, we'll see! I do love Off To The Races.

D-rock and Gavaxeman like this.
  10. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Looks like another Antonoff "hear it and forget it" production.

11. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Yep the guest rapping on the Lust for life album spoiled it for me - they took you out of the Lana world - but the duets with Sean Lennon and Stevie Nicks were superb and added something

D-rock and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

NFR is all Antonoff and one of Lana's most memorable albums.

13. BradOlson

I would rather have her do this stuff than follow the hit single market.

14. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

I've got mixed feelings about LDR these days. I loved Ultraviolence (still do) and really liked NFR. Since then, I feel like I can't quite keep up with her, and she keeps putting out interchangeable songs and albums at a pace that leaves me a little worn out. I am fine with both prolific artists and artists that have their specific sound and style--but I feel like combining both things is a recipe for exhausting all but the most faithful fans. If she only put out a single, high-impact album every 2-3 years, the sameyness would be less of an issue. Or if she was doing them at this rapid clip, but some of them were very weird and different. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I feel like I fell off the train a few albums back and getting back on at this point would be kind of a chore.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

She hasn't had a big hit by herself for years now, but I was wondering if she'd make an attempt at it after Taylor Swift's Snow On The Beach with her has been a hit. Going by this song, she certainly isn't and is very much an album artist now. I think the collaborations on Lust For Life were her last big push for hit singles and when they didn't really work, she's concentrated totally on albums since.

16. BradOlson

Exactly, and I'd rather have her be an album artist. I have always viewed her as an album artist anyway.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

She's more like a 70s artist with how quickly she's releasing albums. I just hope the songs are good. I'm happy that artists seem more prolific now. The years waits between albums from artists in the past usually just put me off. I'd rather leave that kind of thing to Def Leppard!

Gavaxeman likes this.
  18. BradOlson

I know the songs will be great.

Bill_H and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

She hasn't let us down yet.

I'm puzzled by anyone wanting Lana to release potential hit singles, Born To Die is ten years old and aside from perhaps a couple of tracks on Lust For Life, she's never done that since. If Ultraviolence was her first album nobody would be expecting or wanting hits, big choruses or fun, so I don't really understand why some people think she should do it because she had a big commercial album a decade ago. She's moved on, it's like expecting She Loves You on The White Album!

Bill_H, Gavaxeman and Turbo2k like this.
  20. BradOlson

Exactly.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not only is there a tunnel under Ocean Blvd, but it turns out that you can find a number of paintings for fu****g Norman Rockwell stashed there. Nice to see her continue the trilogy.

FJFP and D-rock like this.
  22. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

All I’m hoping for is that “Yes to Heaven” finds a spot on this album.

D-rock likes this.
  23. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Writing credits…

1. the grants [lana del rey & mike hermosa]

2. did you know that there's a tunnel under ocean blvd [lana del rey & mike hermosa]

3. sweet [lana del rey & drew erickson]

4. american whore / a&w [lana del rey & jack antonoff]

5. [lana del rey, judah smith & jack antonoff]

6. [lana del rey & jon batiste]

7. [lana del rey & jon batiste]

8. [lana del rey & jack antonoff]

9. Fingertips (?) [lana del rey & drew erickson]

10. [lana del rey & brian fennell]

11. [lana del rey & RIOPY]

12. [lana del rey, mike hermosa & benji lysaght]

13. [lana del rey & jack antonoff]

14. [lana del rey, aljosha frederick konstanty, jack antonoff & ann tomberlin]

15. [lana del rey, benji lysaght, mike hermosa & tommy genesis]

16. [lana del rey, mike hermosa & jack antonoff]

24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Too bad it didn't star Lana Wood... ;)

25. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

But she hasn't really moved on from mid-tempo brooding since then. There are plenty of other points in the spectrum that she could explore but she's stayed in a comfort zone with the same producer and his usual effects and arrangement.

mpayan likes this.