Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Advertising people. It's from our jargon. Sorry.

2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Why? Because people don't correct others when they're wrong. For whatever reason. Then it keeps happening until it becomes a word and we have a generation of people dumber than the last.

Greg Gee, Man at C&A and intv7 like this.
  3. TMegginson

I've noticed that people really, really, really like having their grammar corrected when they're in the middle of saying something important.

Especially verbally, and in front of peers.

4. nodeerforamonth

Yeah, I see "loose" confused for "lose" on a daily basis.

"Waist" and "waste" is also climbing the top 10.

5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Irregardless....

6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Mine is the incredibly (millennial-originated, of course) thing of turning nouns into verbs.

Idiots.

7. nodeerforamonth

Would it be better to let them continue to look stupid?

Hammerpeg likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

People do not check spelling. They type fast, but don't take a minute to "check their work". Then they complain when they get called out for it.

9. Vinyl siding has gone WAY out of vogue, more than a generation ago, and is definitely not a term that you hear very much any more. I think I occasionally see ads for vinyl siding on Antennae TV, and the like -- but millennials don't watch that much traditional TV (aren't exposed to that kind of advertising at much), and they're certainly not watching Antennae TV.

Vinyl flooring, the same thing -- mostly a relic of the past. Never hear about it anymore. Certainly millennials wouldn't.

Not making a value judgement, nor calling millennials stupid. It's just that the term (outside of vinyl=record) just isn't in their lexicon, through no fault of their own.

10. I'm fairly certain that a subset of the "vinyls" contingent probably do say "a vinyl" on occasion. Not a big subset, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Especially if English was their second language. "A vinyl" makes perfect logical sense. Which, of course, English does not.

11. TMegginson

Depends how you're "correcting" them. If you're trying to make them speak the exact same English as you do, based on your region, culture, age, and education, I imagine you might want to ensure that your intervention doesn't come off as racist, classist, or just out-of-date. (Not to mention rude?)

If you're talking to an English learner, they may welcome the feedback.

YMMV, as they say on the internets...

ParloFax likes this.
  12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't know why it bothers me, but it does, been a pet hate for sometime still don't know why, it's a protectionist thing. Don't come into my world and mess with it.

intv7 likes this.
  14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This reminds me of the Gary Trudeau humor piece riffing off a Madonna interview translated from English to Hungarian to English:

BLIKK: Is this how you met Carlos, your love servant who is reputed? Did you know he was heaven-sent right off the stick? Or were you dating many other people in your bed at the same time?

MADONNA: No, he was the only one I was dating in my bed then, so it is a scientific fact that the baby was made in my womb using him. But as regards those questions, enough! I am a woman and not a test-mouse!

Raf, Groovy, Greg Gee and 3 others like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Musical Fidelity are now naming their phono stage models 'Vinyl' rather than 'Phono'. Maybe that is good marketing but at the asking prices buyers should know what a phono stage is for.

Greg Gee likes this.
  16. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

In some cases, yes. An old boss comes to mind. ;o)

nodeerforamonth and TMegginson like this.
  17. Now that is stupid!...

intv7 likes this.
  18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You have to spell it thicc, not thick.

sleepjar, nosliw, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  19. TMegginson

Thank you. We were having an actual IRL convo, so I didn't see the spelling. Back to Urban Dictionary I go.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't see the problem with the word "vinyl" used in this way.

An album or an LP (=Long Player) could be on any medium - vinyl, CD, cassette or digital download.
    "Record" is simply not specific enough, for the same reason. We say that Carly Rae Jepson has just put out a record, meaning released an album of music. We don't say "released a vinyl" or "released a CD" , because thealbum probably appears on both formats, and possibly others.

To be pedantic we probably should say "vinyl album" or "vinyl disc", but shortening it to "vinyl" is to be expected and pretty logical.

Now on to the next complaint: "turntable" vs "record player". Once again I'm happy with this. A record player is anything that plays records, by whatever means. A turntable is a name for a very specific device. Specifying "turntable" makes it clear that you want something you can play vinyl records on, you don't want a compact disc player

Replacement of unspecific terms in English by other terms that more precisely say what's meant? More of this, please. This is the kind of language evolution that I like.

ParloFax and TMegginson like this.
  21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The amount of times I've ran into this.

That and, calling any modern game controller (past 30 years) "paddles" comes up way too much on listings for used consoles.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

It hasnt for me. Falls into the same category as the phrase "baby daddy". Both sound like a phrase that a 13 yr old that needs to pull his pants up would say.

All imo of course :D

23. Paddles?? :eek:

Dear god. I'm 50, and I haven't heard the term "paddles" in probably close to 30 years. At least 25.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

This wins the prize for "Funniest Comment" thus far on this thread.
    Too funny!

ParloFax likes this.
  25. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

The datas show that people are ignorant.

Whatevs.

HfxBob, Greg Gee and Stencil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.