Laptop to integrated amp DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulG4599, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulG4599

PaulG4599 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Quick question as I’m new to trying to make digital audio sound better than what comes out of the box. I have a Rotel RA-12 integrated amp that has a pretty solid built in DAC from what I’ve read, and I want to utilize it.

It’s in my office connected to my laptop, and I’m just using a standard 3.5mm out of laptop to RCA analog into the CD port on the amp. From what I understand because I’m going into analog RCA on the amp, it’s not using the DAC.

The amp has two digital coax and two optical digital ports. So from what I understand I have to go into those to use the onboard DAC.

My question simply is, if I use a 3.5mm out of the laptop, to digital coax OR optical right to the amp, isn’t that using the laptop DAC first? Is that not ideal? Because 3.5mm is analog right out of the laptop.

Do I need to use USB or HDMI out of laptop so it’s all digital until it hits the amp DAC?

If yes is there such cable? Thanks in advance!!!

BruceS likes this.
  2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

DAC means digital to analog converter. If the sound is going analog along a wire then a conversion happened upstream.

You will need another box to make this work. Either another external DAC or a DDC (digital to digital converter) to get the outputs and inputs to match.

PaulG4599 likes this.
  3. PaulG4599

I think I follow. Hdmi or usb out of laptop> external DDC>convert to digital coax or optical>into amp digital inputs>this then uses the amp DAC. Correct?

woody, Kyhl and guestuser like this.
  4. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

Yep, that’s about right. You will also need two cables: one to connect the laptop to DDC and another one to connect the DDC to the amp.

PaulG4599 likes this.
  5. PaulG4599

Yup. So this keeps it all digital until it gets to the amp DAC. Thank you both! I’ll give it a shot!

guestuser likes this.
  6. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

PaulG4599 and BruceS like this.
  7. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I have one of those! It works a charm, but I'm actually saving it for the day when I'll have a computer that lacks optical out. (The MacbookPro I am using does have that feature.) The optical cable from the MBP connects to a rear port on my Cambridge Audio CXA61 integrated—just acquired. All cream & sugar so far.

PaulG4599 and Radio like this.
  8. BruceS

Just because I have to ask, what is the make/model of the computer?

9. PaulG4599

Asus Zenbook Pro 15 I believe.

10. BruceS

OK. I just wanted to check its ports, but no, it has the usual array you see these days. That Reiyin DA-02 noted by @Radio should be worth a try. Should do well with the Rotel's Wolfson WM8740 DAC. There are other options in the USB > optical world, too.

PaulG4599 and Radio like this.
  11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I have this < $70 converter by Douk that I got from Amazon. I have used it a little, not a lot, and I thought it was just fine. So that's another one to consider. It will give you a coax output, which from all I've read tends to be more consistent than optical.

PaulG4599 likes this.
  12. fish

fish Senior Member

something like this will work easy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE/ref=sr_1_1?

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN®-CM663...i+usb+to+coaxial+s/pdif,electronics,68&sr=1-2

PaulG4599 likes this.
  13. PaulG4599

Thanks for the help everyone! Going to check out those Amazon links and pick one up!

BruceS likes this.
  14. fish

fish Senior Member

15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The question then is -- as so often in audio -- are they audibly better, or just fancier and more costly? I don't pretend to know the answer to that.

16. PaulG4599

Following up - I found I had this lying around, connected it and it works great! Connected my Sennheiser HD600s to the amp, and noticed a significant difference switching between line/analog IN and the digital using the DAC. The DAC sounding much more open and detailed. Just not sure what the highest audio bit rate and kHz it supports.

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Op...&qid=1642531237&sprefix=esynic,aps,111&sr=8-3

Mike-48 likes this.
  17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Does this device convert using it's own DAC first and then do an A/D to get it back to the toslink output? Is there a toslink connector/adapter that plugs into the 3.5mm output? Just wondering.

18. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

19. PaulG4599

I'm going HDMI from laptop into this box to HDMI in, then on the other output side it has Toslink OUT which goes right into my Rotel amp Toslink IN. So I think it just converts HDMI to whatever output you want, I don't believe it's a DAC. I will dig into it tho and see what I can find online.

20. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

No, if you use a mini Toslink connector it does not use its DAC It only uses the DAC if you connect with standard 3.5mm output like to headphones.

21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I've got one of those old Turtle Beach USB sticks with the toslink adapter. Still works nicely, at least for 16 bit stuff.

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah talking about different devices discussed. The USB stick is what I referring to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.