Last box set you bought?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghost of Ziggy, Oct 23, 2020.

1. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Complete Island Recordings

Detroit Rock Citizen, monte4 and DTK like this.
  2. The macerator

The macerator Draining the pool.

Richard and Linda Thompson - Hard Luck Stories and all my discs had no problems, how lucky was that!

3. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Pylon
    John Lennon -- Gimme Some Truth
    Prince -- Sign of the Times
    Tears for Fears -- Seeds of Love
    Elton John -- Jewels
    The Replacements -- Pleased to Meet Me

4. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The Pet Sounds box that featured the first stereo disc.

mbrownp1, monte4 and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Nice! Please post an updated pic of your media/music room in the Audio Hardware forum! I always liked your room!

6. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Haha! Thank you! I appreciate that! :) I probably would, but my room is no match for some of the truly phenomenal spaces and setups over there in the systems/room thread! My gear is pretty basic, but works well for my room and my needs. But...I'm in the middle of tweaking some stuff of it, so I may get around to taking some updated pics eventually. :righton:

Boomy likes this.
  7. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - Pulse Remaster - Was between it and Delicate Sound of Thunder and opted for this since was the only tour I saw...Does not disappoint .
    Tom Petty Wildflowers 9Lp - Whole box is stellar but the All Analog portions are as good as it gets. Wish I would have caught on to him while he was alive and touring <smacking self on forehead>

8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I hope there’ll be a repress. I want it.

carville likes this.
  9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac 1969-1974 on CD.

10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I have vintage LPs of most of those, but that box is still tempting, for the bonus tracks, if nothing else...

11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Got the RSD John Prine "the asylum years" 3lp box set from a local shop this week.
    Nice set!

notesofachord and monte4 like this.
  12. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I got one of the last one hundred (as posted on dead.net) of the Dead’s June 1976 Box Set. What the heck was I waiting for?!! It sounds and looks fantastic (also great book with a really terrific essay by the Heads writer Jesse Jarnow.)

13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

450 Years Staatskapelle Berlin Great Recordings arrived a few days ago. While it doesn't have 450 years of recordings, it does include the oldest recording currently in my collection (Mozart's Marriage of Figaro Overture, recorded in July 1916).

I'm quite certain there are a couple of classical box sets under the (virtual) Christmas tree.

14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Porcupine Tree - The Delirium Years

15. Audio_Bozo

Audio_Bozo Well-Known Member

I just ordered a used copy of this. Looks like an amazing collection!

Adam9 likes this.
  16. Audio_Bozo

Audio_Bozo Well-Known Member

Gillian Welch The Lost Songs - Boots No. 2. I did a pre-order about a month ago. It is supposed to show up today according to the tracking update I just got. It consists of 48 songs she wrote several years ago but never released. Kind of 'demo' format with just her and David Rawlings. They are really nicely recorded and the vibe is like sitting around their living room with them while they play together. Great stuff.

sonofjim, jimbo3688 and Al Gator like this.
  17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Martha Argerich - The Collection 1: The Solo Recordings

Eight albums on CD, and I've played each one at least three times. I found one on eBay for $40, which appears to be a bargain. I just wish the booklet had the original album liner notes. They are recreated on each CD album cover but you need a magnifying glass to read them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    KCLizard, brew ziggins and Rob Hughes like this.
  18. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

MikeP and I seem to be riding a similar wave, at least in one instance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of these, the Joni Mitchell and Martha Argerich pleased me the most, entirely successful sets that also exceeded my high expectations.
    The Elvis was also really good, completely successful and recommendable -- really, the best possible presentation of this material... but, for me, I think it was a little too much Elvis for my level of commitment.

Still, a somewhat more relaxed season in boxed sets, as compared to other years. Which is a relief. :)

19. Lucky. Mine did. I still haven’t received my replacement.

20. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

21. Keith Richards and the Xpensive Winos. It's the live album at the Hollywood Palladium. I still haven't heard it yet. I'm bummed that I have to download the three bonus tracks so that I can listen to the whole chibagne in my car.

monte4 likes this.
  22. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

Iggy Pop - The Bowie Years

monte4, FLF and Juggsnelson like this.
  23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Woody Guthrie "American Radical Patriot," six CDs, one DVD, a book and one 10-inch, 78 rpm vinyl disc.

24. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

Probably Genesis Archive 1 a long time ago.

ARK and monte4 like this.
  25. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Ooh, love me some box sets! I bought 3 recently...
    1. Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love 30th Anniversary Deluxe. Love the sounds of this one. I'm finding some of the bonus material a little redundant sounding, but it's cool to have all this stuff in one place.
    2. Grand Funk Railroad - Trunk of Funk Volumes 1 & 2. I had listened to a few Grand Funk albums awhile back and liked what I heard. I was a child of the mid-late 70's and into the 80's, so I mostly missed Grand Funk other than their hits. With 6 albums in each volume (5 studio, 1 live) this is probably more Grand Funk than I need. I doubt I'll listen to this set too often. It's ok. I'm a big fan of box sets from older artists that are inclusive of a period and this one fits in. Damn, these guys released a lot of albums in a short period of time!!
    3. The J. Geils Band - Original Album Series 1 & 2. This is a band that was huge when I was in high school; "Centerfold", "Freeze Frame", "Love Stinks". I've wanted to check out their earlier albums for some time, found these sets for a good price on Amazon so clicked them into my cart. Have only listened to the first 2 albums so far, very much digging them.

monte4, Lewisboogie and Juggsnelson like this.