Late-era John Wayne Film Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Jun 14, 2021.

1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Not entirely sure what would define the start of a "late-era" John Wayne film but for the sake of this thread, let's just say post-1969 True Grit films since that is considered a career-defining moment for him.

If you want to talk further back, who am I to stop you.

I am still exploring most of John Wayne's filmography but The Shootist is flat out amazing.

What else should I look out for?

It was right before True Grit but Hellfighters was incredible too.

mcnpauls, Sean, Boom Operator and 2 others like this.
  2. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

"The Cowboys" isn't highly rated, but I enjoy it. Some famous young faces in that one.

"Chisum" is a pretty generic Wayne western, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

bill44, Sean, Dennis Metz and 3 others like this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

The Shootist is one of the great career cappers of all time. Brilliant cameos.

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I also like Brannigan and McQ.

Regginold31, 905, mcnpauls and 7 others like this.
  5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

McQ is good, goofy late-period fun (like the Sinatra Tony Rome movies) - I saw "The Cowboys" as a kid and loved it- and I echo "The Shootist" as being a perfect way for him to end his screen career.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Like others have said - The Cowboys is a good one.

Rooster Cogburn (1975) where John reprises his role as the one-eyed US Marshal (True Grit) with Katherine Hepburn co-starring. It was a fun movie with a nice heart tugging payoff at the end. Some funny repartee exchanges thrown in.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The Shootist is the only post-True Grit film I have any time for - and it's one of his best.

9. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I’ve seen everything post ‘True Grit’ except Rooster Cogburn. I watch to enjoy, not to critically dissect. If you’re watching one of his movies, you’re doing it to experience his persona. He said no to Dirty Harry, so made up for it by making a couple of movies about a similar character - they’re fun for me anyway.

I buy anything of his I can find in the thrift shops that I don’t already have (after ‘The Searchers’, that is). Most of my John Wayne collection is used.

‘El Dorado’ may be my absolute favourite - that theme of ‘old and new friends working together’ just works for me.

Boom Operator, Shawn, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  10. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I like El Dorado, but I wouldn't consider that late career JW. Honestly, it's The Shootist and then everything else, just a great film and what a way to go out. I feel the same way about Richard Burton in 1984.

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He couldn't have picked a better movie to end his career on than ' The Shootist '

GMDuss, mcnpauls, Michael and 3 others like this.
  12. omikron

The script and Wayne's delivery of his lines are a real treat. It all seems more natural and less hammy in The Shootist for some reason.

Harry Morgan's "whooeeee!!!!" however . . .

13. omikron

Apologies. I guess for the sake of discussion, we can say all of the 1970s is open for discussion. Upon study, I see there aren't many films after True Grit.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like The Undefeated, with Rock Hudson. Rio Lobo is top fun too.

Wasn't he involved with Star Wars, somehow? If it's not an urban myth, I'll go with that one too. :)

Matthew Tate and omikron like this.
  15. peter

peter Senior Member

Saw both these upon release.

Can't tell you HOW MUCH I wanted that SD-455 TransAm. They're worth a fortune now with that engine. Shame that it was available
    with an automatic.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like "The Cowboys" a lot.

17. omikron

Watching Brannigan now.

What, is every friggin' car in London a Ford? Who knew!

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

In Harm's Way. Stellar cast and my fav of his WWII movies.

Exonian, DPM, PhilBorder and 5 others like this.
  19. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

Saw The Train Robbers on TCM a few years back.

I'm sure Duke was unaware...but right after Brokeback Mountain that is the gayest Western ever!

20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Cahill US Marshall

21. Jeff Yerkey

Jeff Yerkey Any Format You Like

The Shootist.

22. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

The Cowboys and Rio Lobo are worth seeing but I don't think any of the late films come close to The Shootist unfortunately.

That scene where he goes to the doctor, the door opens and it's Jimmy Stewart standing there - well, it gets me quite emotional!

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I just cannot get past a throwaway scene. In the station a long haired man is cuffed on the bench. He stands and complains(he is absolutely right). Cop/John Wayne then assaults a restrained prisoner and laughs about it.
    A lot of cops are John Wayne fans.

I LIKE JW. I have pretty much every film. His politics sour things occasionally. Big Jim McClain is one I refuse to even own.

omikron likes this.
  24. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I agree with everyone about The Shootist being a great movie, I really enjoy The Cowboys as Wayne is playing against type, I remember watching an interview with Bruce Dern where he states that John Wayne said to Bruce; there going to hate you in America for killing me, Bruce's reply was; well there going to love me in Berkley:D

25. peter

peter Senior Member

John Wayne was capable, and often displayed, great generosity of spirit. Michael Caine tells a story where he, MC, just after doing Alfie, was standing in the lobby of the Beverly Hills Hotel, when in walks JW, after being flown to the hotel in a helicopter. JW walks over to MC and says: "Kid, you're going to be a great star. Just remember: Talk slow, talk low, and don't scare the horses."

Classic.

Regginold31, 64FALCON, iggyd and 4 others like this.