Late Jefferson Starship (1979-1984) vs. Starship (1985 onwards)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sister Disco, Apr 7, 2021.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

2. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I remember hearing a track from this album in 1989 and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was this supposed to be Spinal Tap by way of San Francisco? Starship's hit of that year, "It's Not Enough," blew it away.

JoeRockhead and PTgraphics like this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Winds Of Change is a great album (imo).

clhboa and Galley like this.
  4. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

There should be ZERO votes for Starship. What's wrong with you people?

Buddybud likes this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love this album. One of the best of 1989, at least in my world. :)

6. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Don't really like either era much – I'm more of a Jefferson Airplane fan. But I might as well give my opinions on the albums:

Freedom At Point Zero (1979)
    The best of the bunch. For mainstream AOR/pomp-rock, side one is good all through and I like the title track on side two.

Modern Times (1981)
    Much weaker than its predecessor. Three really good songs: "Find Your Way Back", "Stranger" and "Mary". But when it's bad (the tuneless, meandering pseudo-prog of "Alien", Kantner's spoiled-teenager ranting on "Stairway To Cleveland") it's truly awful.

Winds Of Change (1982)
    Catchy and inoffensive enough, though the best songs are good rather than great and it sags badly in the middle of side one with three consecutive Thomas-sung tracks.

Nuclear Furniture (1984)
    A much more diverse and creative album, with two truly great songs ("Showdown" and to a lesser extent "Connection"). However, it's also extremely uneven, with different songwriters pulling in different directions. In retrospect, it's obvious that the band was about to splinter.

Knee Deep In The Hoopla (1985)
    Dull identikit AOR with no identity of its own since virtually nothing was band-written. "We Built This City" is nowhere near as bad as its detractors claim, but the only good song is the Slick-sung cover of "Rock Myself To Sleep".

No Protection (1987)
    Their worst, fusing eighties pop production with AOR. I like "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" less than "We Built This City", but "Babylon" is Starship's one-and-only truly great song.

Love Among The Cannibals (1989)
    Think I only ever played this once. At least they were writing more of their own material, but without any Airplane members on board, who really cares?

Juggsnelson and carlwm like this.
  7. Sister Disco

Sister Disco Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's some decent tracks here like Freedom, Madeline Street, and Ice Age. The music of Planes is good but the chorus is rather ridiculous. They could've dropped some songs here like True Love (sounding more like Mickey Thomas's Starship and not Jefferson Airplane).

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Sister Disco

Yeah, it's at least got a certain quirkiness which makes it interesting. Whereas Starship's other songs are pretty generic, drippy 80s ballads.

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's the first album by any incarnation of the band and I bought it because of True Love's Toto connection, Still love the song and the album.

10. Sister Disco

Some may accuse Jefferson Starship of being 70s AOR soft rock, compared to the more experimental Airplane. Maybe that's true, but in terms of 70s AOR JS is absolutely top-shelf.

clhboa, Hep Alien, Wright and 2 others like this.
  11. Sister Disco

And one from the Thomas era:

12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

My preference was for the the mid-late 70s JS, Ride The Tiger/Miracles/Count On Me/With Your Love/Runaway.
    But when Balin/Slick left in '78, and Thomas came on, JS was very much still a quality rockin' affair with Jane and Find Your Way Back.

Jane from the tv show Fridays in 1981, newly reunited with Slick that year,
    introduced by Father Guido Sarducci (US based gossip columnist/rock critic for "The Vatican Enquirer") and Dawn.
    A bit of the setup here was that Sarducci (played by comic actor Don Novello ) had always been "a big a fan of a Grace a Slick".

Got to hand it to Mickey Thomas here, guy had a voice and what you heard on the record was what it sounded like live.
    Always loved his vocal on the Elvin Bishop Group's Fooled Around And Fell In Love.
    Brilliant stuff.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    clhboa, Hep Alien, JeffreyB and 3 others like this.
  13. Freedom is pretty good but I’m more a Marty-Grace-Paul fan myself

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Modern Times is awesome. The rest suck. Jane is cool though.

15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Wow, so cool!!!! Thanks

Efus likes this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

there’s a decent record in there if someone else had produced it and it’d actually been just JA members playing on it.

Hep Alien and carlwm like this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Always enjoy Ron Nevison's productions. I think that's one of the reasons I like the self-titled album more than most.

19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Jane is a legitimately good rock song.

Galley, Greenalishi, ARK and 2 others like this.
  20. walrus

my least favorite producer behind maybe Jim O’Rourke. Everything just sounds flat and neutered, especially the drums. Like, the Heart albums he did and Europe’s Out of this World just sound absolutely weak, despite being two of the best hard rock bands of their eras. Awful choice for JA.

carlwm likes this.
  21. To me the original demo sounds like a Thomas Dolby song. I like both but especially Starship hit. It’s fun, infectious and brings back great memories the way any other hit record of a certain period does. No need to buy into the ‘worst song ever’ clickbait nonsense. Sorry about the hate it evoked in your family or why after all these years a song still has you pondering why Marconi (a play on words/a radio) was playing a mamba (an old dance song) in 85’. It may be a testament as to how good a song it actually is. Did we we really ‘put on the ritz’ in 82’? No. And that, my Taco is far worse!

We Built This City (Original Demo by Martin Page)

In case you want to reevaluate: 88 million views on YouTube alone, never mind radio play, streaming and multimillions of records/CD’s sold. Thank Grace and Mickey!

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Different ears & all that. I love the sound of all the albums you mention. :)

23. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

No, a mamba is not an old dance song, thanks for playing. And I'm not buying into clickbait nonsense, I'm referencing examples of others that agree with me. If you like the song that's great, that's your opinion. I don't share it. But if you enjoy these kinds of subjective arguments, we can keep going.

24. walrus

It could be the same drummer on Heart, Out Of This World, Crazy Nights, and The Ultimate Sin and no one would ever know. Compare it to the stuff Bruce Fairbairn or Bob Rock were producing at the time...those records came blasting out of your stereo. Nevison's sounded like demos made with anonymous studio musicians, despite having some of the best players on earth in the bands he was recording at the time. I'd kill for proper remixes of all the albums he neutered in the late 80's.

Out Of This World
    especially should've been a bigger, harder rocking record than The Final Countdown instead of sounding like Bon Jovi-lite. It's IMO the best set of songs Joey Tempest ever wrote, and they deserved better and to rock harder.

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, as I said, different ears. They all rock hard enough for me. I'm entirely happy with them exactly as they are. Not got to argue about the quality of the work of Messrs Fairburn & Rock. I like their work too.