Law and Order - Lindsey Buckingham

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spanky1, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have just gotten into Lindsey, and I love this cd. I've never been a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac, but I've got their Greatest Hits and Rumours. I remembered TROUBLE from my teen years, and recently searched for this song on You Tube. After listening to the song for the first time in many years, I decided to get Law and Order. Also, I bought the VACATION Soundtrack lp, 25-30 years ago, and knew that I liked LB.

I absolutely love it! I'm not crazy about MARY LEE JONES or JOHNNY STEW, but otherwise, I find it very strong. After reading a bit more about LB and FM, I now realize why TUSK was always my favorite FM song.
    Are there any more LB cds that are similar to Law and Order?

I really wish Holiday Road and Dancing Across The USA were on cd.

Sean likes this.
  2. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Great album, just as good as anything on the Fleetwood Mac records IMO. Same with the follow-up, Go Insane.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I adore Lindsey and think he's practically a genius who seems to get better with age. L&O is a fun record as is the manic followup GO INSANE. "Johnny Stew" is of course a tribute to former Kingston Trio great John Stewart; Lindsey and Stevie were all over his two late-70's RSO albums. Later Stewart penned a reply song he called "Liddy Buck" :) All of Buckingham's solo albums have much to offer; most folks around here would recommend OUT OF THE CRADLE. It's a solid record, audiophile quality to be sure, but I find it a bit meandering. This may go against common opinion but for my money his last LP SEEDS WE SOW is the best thing he's ever done. Kinda brickwalled but the record is perfect imo. How's this for tasty:

4. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I got a signed copy of that when Buckingham performed at Royce Hall at UCLA. Great show, you could really tell how much he puts into his playing.

aoxomoxoa and WalkAThinLine like this.
  5. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

It's an absolutely fantastic record. So unique and creative.

WalkAThinLine and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. buzzlock

buzzlock Forum Resident

The promo 'Retrospective' CD is worth tracking down if you can find it. Great way to get Holiday Road on cd

[​IMG]

1. Interview/Opening
    2. Stephanie
    3. Interview
    4. Monday Morning
    5. Interview
    6. Go Your Own Way
    7. Interview
    8. Tusk
    9. Interview
    10. Trouble
    11. Interview
    12. Holiday Road
    13. Interview
    14. Go Insane
    15. Interview
    16. Big Love
    17. Interview
    18. Wrong
    19. Interview
    20. Don't Look Down
    21. Interview
    22. Countdown

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  7. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Same here, although I was thrilled to find that lossless downloads of both tracks are available from the PonoMusic store.

8. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

It Was I and Johnny are great album tracks.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My favorite Lindsey Buckingham album. Really playful, inventive and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Great little album. Trouble is infectious to say the least.

Lewisboogie and Sean like this.
  11. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I second that I think 'Seeds we sow' is his best solo LP, it takes a few songs to get going but it has some great pop tunes and is not all doodling guitar with whispered vocals like a lot of his recent solo stuff.

pdenny likes this.
  12. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

"Seeds We Sow" is pretty good. My favourite album by him is still "Gift Of Screws" just for its songcraft alone, even though it seriously needs a remastering to get rid of the massive loudness compression the CD version has got.

Cloudbuster and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. spanky1

Thanks for the recommendations. I ran across a good deal on the 3-cd set of TUSK. I like the title track, but how is the rest of the set? Is it, at all, similar to Law and Order?

14. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Lindsey needs a reissue campaign (that includes Buckinghams-Nicks).

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I just got the Gift of Screws LP a month or so ago, and really like it. There's a CD in it that's supposedly non (or less) compressed specifically to go along with the LP, but I haven't ripped it yet. I agree it's his best solo album.

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Law And Order is a weak album buoyed only by a terrific lead single and the engaging covers of "September Song" and "A Satisfied Mind."

The songs otherwise seem like riffs without much in the way of direction or depth. "Mary Lee Jones," "Bwana," and "That's How We Do It In L. A." all disappointed me in different ways. I wanted so much to like this one after Lindsay's stellar Mac work and hearing "Trouble" and "Holiday Road" on the radio, but it doesn't really have much of a reputation even with Mac fans, and a couple of listens reveal why.

17. spanky1

That's one reason I started this post. I suspect that I'm a Lindsey Buckingham fan rather than a Fleetwood Mac fan. I've got the Greatest Hits and the Rumours cd, but I much prefer Law And Order. For this reason, I asked about the TUSK cd set. If it's along the vein of L & O, I'd probably like it. However, if it's more along the lines of Rumours, I suspect I'd skip it.

WalkAThinLine and Slokes like this.
  18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Keep listening...Mary Lee Jones and Johnny Stew will grow on you. I've loved this album since it came out, because of Lindsey's adventurousness.
    That said, the next solo outing, Go Insane, was a bit too...well, insane. I don't think it's all that great.
    Out of the Cradle is exquisite, and I think it's far and away his best record.
    Law and Order is one of my demo discs. Absolutely terrific sound on my Canadian pressing.

willy and rob68 like this.
  19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I've never gotten into L&O. Go Insane is probably my favorite of his with Cradle, Seeds and Gift following in that order.

I love the straggler "On the Wrong Side" from the With Honors sound track!

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

If anything, TUSK (well, Buckingham's tracks anyway) predicts Lindsey's future solo output. A lot of it is borderline bonkers--but if you love L&O already you can't help but love TUSK. Full disclosure--I'm a member of the TUSK cult--not only is it my favorite FM LP by far it's in my top five albums of all time.

21. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I love "Trouble".

Lewisboogie and rob68 like this.
  22. davers

davers Forum Resident

Agreed; one of the great forgotten singles of the 80s.

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My favorite.

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

guy is a genius. I think gift of screws is his best album

blackstar, Chew, Sean and 3 others like this.
  25. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Lewisboogie, spanky1 and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.