Law and Order - Season 21

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Feb 24, 2022.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought it was entertaining. They played the "good cop-bad cop" enthusiastically to spill into current politics which I enjoyed. Not sure about the acting chops of new DA and especially his assistant. And sadly Sam W is really showing his age (who isn't).

2. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Regarding Donovan’s character, I really was disappointed with the writers having him immediately spell out his personality.

And I thought having the female ADA doing the summation was a stretch. When they’ve worked that angle in the past, usually it was just the cross examination of a particular witness. I would think that changing horses way past midstream would be a distraction.

I don’t know, has this ever been done before, a network series off the air for a considerable amount of time, and succeeding?

3. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

As is Carey Lowell, but Waterson has been in stuff of late that I was prepared for it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

You have to look at the Law and Order boards
    Organized Crime is the show getting the raves right now

Organized Crime has actually put L&O back in the Emmy talk , for the first time in ages.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LawandOrder_OC/comments/t1sq6q/oc_has_become_my_favorite/

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Episode was directed by Jean de Segonzac,who does lots of pilot/first episodes in the Wolf Kingdom. IMDB lists Wolf as a co-writer with Rick Eid. Wolf really doesn't take many "written by" credits with a few "story by" credits,so that is kinda newsworthy. Eid, has been showrunner executive producer for Chicago P.D. & FBI concurrently till 2021 and SVU till 2017.
    Rene Balcer,who created Criminal Intent,has been involved with FBI:Most Wanted(creator) but seems to giving lots of time to a Canadian show,The Council. Balcer was also involved with regular Law& Order and seemed like one of the best writers. His talents are missed.

6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm the first to admit that I do not like drawn-out continuing storylines. That is the biggest issue
    I have with this show.

tkl7 likes this.
  7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This just sign of desperation of NBC as tv viewer is on study nose dive ..
    More people getting there entertainment off youtube and other platforms..
    Will Gene Rodenberry prediction come true there was no network tv in 2024...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

It wasn't too bad, but not spectacular either.

rockclassics likes this.
  9. jimac51

Possibly purposeful,just to get the cast some face time. If at the end of the episode,viewers felt that the show was back and the new characters were not taking over. Wolf has famously(paraphrasing here,from memory) said that he doesn't try to make a Jaguar as much as a decent Cadillac. L&O,Chicago,FBI are all made for broadcast TV first with cable reruns(and now Peacock) for repeats. As much as I'm not impressed with Organized Crime,he not only crossed over with SVU,but took time to introduce Meloni in 2021. That is the only part I've enjoyed with OC. McDermott is just not evil and his leaving OC for FBI:MW is welcome. If Meloni's show is to succeed,he needs a baddie up to L&O's standards,while I wish the show would emphasize his humanity and not his Hulk imitation. As an executive producer,he has some say about who Stabler is in 2022,but a part of Stabler in SVU was Stabler's ability to explode only when it gets positive results.

10. brucewayneofgotham

Streaming is really changing Network TV , a continued storyline , means more binging (more $$$ value). Even the comedies that do best in streaming; Seinfeld , Friends , etc , have story-arcs , that lasted over more then a few episodes . That they are quality TV Shows (overall) ++ the longer story-arcs =more binging

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Enjoyed this second episode via Hulu this morning. Next up SVU and the Stabler show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. jimac51

Weak. Rick Eid's fingerprints all over this one. Doing the Elizabeth Holmes story while Hulu is exploring the same story with The Dropout,starring Allentown's Amanda Seyfried and getting some decent reviews. SVU episode pretty decent,with Rollins getting to go undercover once again. I've passed on OC;news that this was supposed to be McDermott's last episode was welcomed. So a new OC arc may bring me back.

13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought the second episode of L&O was better than the first episode. More of a traditional storyline. I did notice that majority of the episode was focused on the trial. Not much police investigation in the first half. Usually the episode time is more of a 50/50 split.

Since last nights episode of SVU was mentioned, I thought it was very good. The storyline along with Rollins undercover was interesting. What started out as an SVU crime morphed into quite a bit more. It eventually came somewhat full circle at the ending.

LilacTeardrop and Myke like this.
  14. Mirrorblade.1

Coming soon a Crossing Jordan reboot staring Aubry Plaza... lol ;):laugh:

15. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I haven't viewed Law & Order in many years, but did like it when I'd catch it. (The only other L&O franchise I'd view, also sometimes, was Criminal Intent when Vincent D'Onofrio was on it - I tend to connect my viewing of that, along w/Cold Case-different network-maybe I viewed in re-runs. I don't remember.) I was excited for this "return, reboot?" when I saw the trailer, esp. due to Camryn Manheim being in it, as I enjoyed The Practice & I'd recently re-viewd Elvis, the miniseries (2005) a couple of years ago, where she played Elvis' Mom, Gladys - I think she's a terrific actress/actor - I guess the pc is actor. But, I do agree w/a number of people, that in this instance, I feel the role of police caption was miscast (she's also not having much to do in that role, either.) I haven't seen much of Anthony Anderson, except clips here & there & maybe an episode or 2 hosting "To Tell The Truth". When I saw the trailer, he did capture attention & I thought this may be a good role, he seems very adept & believable in a dramatic role, so, yes, liking him in it. Hugh Dancy, I thought I may have seen him in something, but after viewing the 2 episodes, nothing was jogged. I think he's capable. I also thought Jeffrey Donovan would be a good addition - though I've never watched Burn Notice. I did catch him in a couple of episodes of a Hulu series, Shut Eye, & thought he was quite good - the series, however, was too violent for me, I found I was turning my head away. And, of course, San Waterston is older, but doesn't diminisih that he's an outstadnign actor & it's fine to see him, again. He still commands the eye. With that said, I do think it was a good decision to have him in a more secondary role. Overall, need further time to see how the characters/storylines develop & evolve.

I think the writing has been dumbed down a bit. Additionally, too much social positing - the order of the day.

I noted that in last night's episode, too! :agree: I was watching & thought "Wait a minute, we're already on the Order part?" :eek::confused: Looked @ the clock b.c I was so surprised. I'm also getting a sort of a rushed, compact feeling, in general.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    rockclassics likes this.
  16. brucewayneofgotham

Anyone notice,
    the office scene in the DA's office.
    About 30 minutes in , in the same scene , Odelya Halevi's hairstyle changes over and over (in a 4 minute span). It was so noticeable , I can not believe they aired it

17. roxieheart

roxieheart Well-Known Member

I liked it, it still felt like the old show to me. I think it will get even better as it goes along and find its stride.

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Episode 2 was so obvious. About 30" after they arrived at her apartment, knew it was gonna be a "Theranos" episode. They didn't do much investigating before deciding she was the killer, and not much evidence in court. This show will clearly need better writing. I haven't decided on the actors yet. Here's hoping a network show that keeps my interest for more than a few weeks.

19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree with the good but could be better sentiments. It seems like Camyrn Manheim has been in everything so I can't believe some don't know who she is. I think the cop and lawyer pairings are good and have potential. Sam Waterston is older than Steven Hill when he left in 2000 so expect his contributions to be one scene per episode.

I would like to see Linus Roache brought back. He was DA with Alana De La Garza when the show was last on the air. She can easily come back, too.

"Law & Order: Organized Crime" is getting a new producer and storyline so Dick Wolf does not like it, either.

Matthew Tate and scousette like this.
  20. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

Your issue is that long running characters from the series are so ingrained that the new characters are going to seem like they don’t stand out as notable. Why would they the first episode? You talk about bringing in retired characters. Why? Realistically those in law enforcement don’t work to a very old age. They retire. In real life cops, detectives, lawyers, etc grow old and retire. That’s life. Let’s not fault the show for that.

Simon A and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. brucewayneofgotham

More so , Ilene did not connect with the main cast and crew. Maybe a little too much LA, and not enough NY. All of the people (from the top rung to the bottom rung) involved in the (3) shows are very much "family". Kids Birthday parties , play in a softball league (or support) , attend Mets/Yankees games, weekend get-togethers, attend concerts together, etc. And "star" behavior is totally unacceptable , in any way

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I watched the first episode - meh. Maybe they should have fun with the premise and bring previous actors (except for maybe one or two) and characters from other series. Maybe Van Buren entered the witness protection program and returns from Chicago. Did Will kill Grace or did Karen? A turf war with Brooklyn 99. Have Tracee Ellis Ross make a guest appearance in search of the husband who abandoned her. Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Sam Waterston in a throuple.

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

I keep wondering when Jeffrey Donovan is going to do his whistle from Burn Notice in one of the L&O episodes. It would be a great tip of the hat to his prior series.

24. Mirrorblade.1

I watched it from beggining on mystery tv I didn't watch when it started.. but watch it in late 90's till it ended..
    Watching seasons of it .. Was over played after 12 season.. Really don't have a need for this..

25. brucewayneofgotham

will not be going anywhere, for one thing they can survive and thrive on Sports and News alone