Layla Revisited: Tedeschi Trucks Band; 3LP/2CD sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I received mine by pre-ordering from Park Avenue Records. All of my Indie retailers in my area are completely sold out and they say they are not receiving any in the near future. Most only received one or two copies. Very difficult to find the blue I’ve been told. (Full disclosure: I do have a copy up for sale classifieds).

2. David Pietras

David Pietras Forum Resident

My local quoted the same issue. I was cool with the answer because as we all know on here, it's been a frustratingly common occurrence this past year. I didn't want to take a chance so I ordered B&N and it's coming tomorrow per the USPS.

3. David Pietras

Okay, so I got it on Wednesday but I'm finally in front of my system long enough for a proper listen. Side A is FANTASTIC! Side B started well enough, but Anyday had two skips and was crackly and poppy throughout. Side C is much better. Side D is starting off great as well...

Batman21 likes this.
  4. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Ugh, I cant even with this record…super bad luck.

finally sat down and listened to the purple. LPs 1&2 were flawless. Side E…crackle sounds. About a third of the side has little, audible, scratches/tick marks all over it. Going back…

David Pietras likes this.
  5. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

My translucent sea blue arrived today. It's a bit greener and darker than in the picture, but actually. I like this colour better. The sound is superb. Much better than last 2 previous live offerings on vinyl by this band in my opinion -much better mix and balance. It breathes real nice.

Anyone can comment on CD sound? Just got hold of a Japanese cd but will take weeks to arrive.

David Pietras and Bossyman like this.
  6. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

By the way, I appreciate the poly-lined sleeves they threw in!

David Pietras and Bossyman like this.
  7. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I have listened to the cd and the cobalt blue and purple pressings. The cd is phenomenal - no question. But the vinyl, imho, is MUCH warmer and fuller! An absolute joy! It may sound like I’m dissing the cd, but I’m not. It’s great. But I’d choose the vinyl everyday.

8. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Finally received the cobalt blue 3LP. Looks and sounds fantastic. Etching on side F is a nice finishing touch. Everything's classy about this release. Received it in mint condition (which unfortunately is not always the case). Probably gonna top my 2021 favorites list.

9. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

I just keep going back to this set. What a great job they did with it. The sound is awesome, the playing is awesome. Got it on cd and it sounds great. May even splurge and pick up the vinyl if it comes down a bit in price.

Bossyman likes this.
  10. Batman21

Got a second copy of the purple version. If youre keeping score, ive now been through two black copies and two purple ones. And the issues havent been ones where im being picky, theyve been legit problems.

the good news is no ticking/skipping on side E of the latest copy. Sounds great. The bad news is that the tracks on side F are pretty noisy. Might give one more copy a shot.

11. Yankeefan01

I have a copy of the remixed Bob Seger live bullet. When I first played it, it sounded tinny, had a few skips and a bunch of other nasty sounding stuff. Physically, it looked fine but I gave it a cleaning before I was going to return it and that made all the difference in the world. The tininess was gone, the skips were gone and it sounded great. While you shouldn't have to clean a brand new record, it looks like the quality control on new discs isn't the best.

Batman21 likes this.
  12. Batman21

Totally. Ran them all through the Squeaky Clean, didnt help in this case. Shouldve mentioned that. And 3 of the 4 had legit scratches.

13. David Pietras

Yeah, my 2LP copy of Feel Flows had so much crap all over the records straight out of the package. And this album has QC issues I mentioned above. It's disheartening to make the effort to track some of these down, pay the higher prices, and wind up with crap. I'm losing interest in the hobby again due to this and the supply/demand/price situation.

14. MikeDavid

MikeDavid Active Member

Sound quality on Black or cobalt blue? I have an option

Thanks

15. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

My preference for all vinyl is black, although I only have this album on CD and I'm fine with that.
    Most people I believe will say that black has better SQ. There are some translucent audiophile formulations that may be an exception. Lots of discussions on that subject already exist.
    I dislike colored (especially translucent) vinyl for practical reasons:
    It is harder to see debris and scratches on some colored vinyl. It is also harder to see the space between tracks.

lazydawg58, Tuck1977 and MikeDavid like this.
  16. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Both sound the same to me…I own both… since it is so difficult to get, I would grab it ASAP. Either one I think you’ll love. I will be posting my black vinyl copy in classifieds in a couple of days.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s all down to the pressing quality. Contrary to old wive’s tales, the color makes no difference in fidelity. You can get fantastic pressings in any color and crappy pressings in any color. Read reviews of the two pressings.

If you don’t really care about the color of the vinyl and all other things are equal, buy the cheaper one. If they’re the same price, I’d personally go with the blue one, but to each his own. The blue one will probably be more desired down the road if that matters to you.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. Yankeefan01

Just firing up this thread again to ask if anybody knows whether the vinyl version, any color, will be available anytime soon? Is the shortage a "supply chain" issue or has the supply dried out never to be seen again at retail?

And yes, I snoozed on this one and it turns out it's my favorite release of last year. Have it on CD and captured the video while it was on Youtube but, I really want the vinyl. Just not willing to pay outrageous prices for it.

longdist01 and lazydawg58 like this.
  19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I was hoping that the positive reviews and success of this release will eventually lead to the video being released on Blu-ray. Guess that’s not on the cards…

longdist01 likes this.
  20. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I hate all this pre-order business. I can't remember what I bought, if they already got my money or will take it out when it ships, when it's suppose to ship, etc. etc. I went back in the thread and saw I had ordered the black vinyl and it was suppose to have shipped back on 9/1/21. I seem to recall a later email saying it was pushed back from that but can't remember when it's suppose to ship now, maybe it was March? I always worry they for got me! Anyway, if I ever get it it will be a surprise in the mail as I'll forget about it again in a few days.

VictoryHighway likes this.
  21. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

I preordered the indie retailer variant from Bull Moose, and it was postponed and later canceled. Ugh.

Mad Dog likes this.
  22. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

The vinyl is truly spectacular. A much “warmer” feel/sound than the CDs (and worlds better than Spotify streaming). I feel it’s worth tracking down (I just found another cobalt blue vinyl for $75, which I felt was righteous, even though I have the black and violet already).

23. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Same for me.

24. Yankeefan01

But, are there going to be more of the vinyl coming?

25. kevinkasson

kevinkasson Forum Resident

I think I read that there's a second pressing coming eventually, but now I can't remember where I saw that. My local indie store ordered three copies but they never received any, their distributor told them they would send it when they get more copies.

Yankeefan01 and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.