DCC Archive Layla

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's one I really haven't heard much talk about. I've got the original 2 CD version, plus a few tracks on the "Cream Of" disc. There seems to be very little difference between the two. Is the MoFi much better? I have a feeling the original 2 CD version probably can't be improved upon that much, but... Anyone?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah the MFSL I like a lot. Mainly because it retains its original mix. It's flat, great presence, not dried out in the high end. I did keep the remixed, along with the rest of the box set of Layla, the Jams are incredible, and exposed the raw talent of the gathering of the tribes. The original RSO CD or Polydoor (yes both, RSO was still around when Cds went to/from Hannover) are still very good.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have the latest Polygram CD with the clear spine and I think it sounds the best. It has the original mixes and is not EQ'ed for modern sound. It hass less hiss. I thought the original 2CD set was crappy.

4. lukpac

Based on my listening of Bell Bottom Blues and the title track, there doesn't seem to be much difference at all...

5. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Since we're on the topic... has anyone compared the ones above with the version of Layla on DCC's "Rock The 70's" comp cd?

I had the old Polygram (might have been RSO) version around '86 or so, but dumped it just before I bought the Clapton Crossroads set which had the remix (which I don't care for).

I hated the sound on the old 2-cd set I had, so I'd be curious how Layla sounds in Steve's hands.

6. Richard

Richard New Member

Layla - continuing disappointment! The only Layla I ever had that I thought was ok (not great) was the original vinyl - but that was played on a completely different system than current rig. Every CD including the MoFi has disappointed - although the MoFi is better - it still isn't really good IMHO. To me the Layla MoFi it is rather like the DCC "Wheels of Fire." If you absolutely have to have it then it has been the only CD choice -but still disappointing and certainly not close in sound quality to the great DCC "Fresh Cream." (Wheels apparently a difficult one as I recall Steve once postng). The other Laylas and Wheels CD's are garbage, although I haven't heard the new Polygram Layla remaster referenced above. So maybe there is hope - although I would be tempted to think the available masters might have been a significant limitation (just the opinion of an 'umble amateur).

7. Matt

Matt New Member

I've got the remaster (with Apogee UV22 etc., etc.). There's a real nasty digital artifact somewhere in the second half of "Have You Ever Loved A Woman." Otherwise, it does as good as a job I can hope for.

8. lukpac

The glitches you hear are on the master - it doesn't have anything to do with the digital mastering.

Ok, I'm comparing HYELAW on the original Polydor 2 CD set and "Blues". There's *very* little difference between the two - possibly a wee bit more bottom end on the Blues version. I even think the vocals might sound a *little* bit better on the original issue - closer to the breath of life.

Layla - org 2 CD and "Cream Of" - a bit more difference here. Mostly in the high end - the Cream Of disc has more snap, but not overly bright. The 2 CD version sounds slightly muffled.

Bell Bottom Blues - 2 CD and Cream Of - Just the opposite of the title track, I'd say. The 2 CD version sounds more defined in the high end.

I really don't know why so many people dislike the sound of this album. Other than the hiss, I love it. I especially don't know why so many people trash the original 2 CD version - I have yet to hear a version that sounds significantly different. Yeah, there *are* differences, but not major, and sometimes *not* for the better.

What's this I hear about Steve mastering the title track on a various artists comp? Anyone have that?

john lennonist likes this.
  9. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

10. lukpac

Damn, if that *is* mastered by Steve, I want it! I have a feeling it wasn't, though...

11. lukpac

Could it be (re Radar Love)?

"The best sounding copy is from a series called "REELING IN THE YEARS" and later called "ROCK OF THE 70s". This 5 volume set was mastered by Steve Hoffman from the first generation two track mixdown tape, which we learned earlier in this article is the best place to get a song for CD. Steve used to work for MCA and before leaving for DCC Compact Classics, he remastered some super discs."

12. lukpac

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but...I just pulled out the Crossroads remix of Layla, just for the hell of it. I remembered liking it in the past, but figured another listen would proove otherwise. Well, ****. Other than the fact that the mix is wetter than it needs to me (and a tad metallic sounding in places), I'm actually impressed. The feel is pretty close to the original (they seemed to get the guitars right), and Eric's vocal just sounds *so* much nicer. Not filled with all that distortion like on the original mix. I do think the original mix is perhaps a bit fatter, though.

Now, the 20th anniversary remix on the other hand - I don't like that much at all. First of all, where's the tambourine? Certainly not where it is in the other mixes. Second, the balance of the various guitars just doesn't feel right.

FWIW, the mix on Crossroads was done by John Jansen. A tad more modern than it needed to be, but a pretty fine job. Oh, there *is* one semi-major screw-up - Duane's little slide to fit the two sections together is missing. There's a bit of a hole there where the two join together.

13. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

How do you compare that to Steve's remaster from ROCK OF THE 70s Vol. 5? I just got mine last week, and it sounds great, although I don't have anything to compare it with.

14. lukpac

Well, you can't really compare a remix like that. Kind of its own thing. I find myself saying "ok, I enjoy this a lot, but it's not the original mix."

As for Steve's version... I like it, although the verdict is still out as to if it's really much better (or worse, for that matter) than any other version I've heard. Depending on when I listen, sometimes I'll hear some differences, other times not. Levels seem to have a lot to do with it as well. If I listen to one version at a certain level, it may sound quite different from another one. Then, if I bring that level down ever so slightly, I may say to myself "hmm, maybe not that different after all."

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just in case anyone is interested Direct Disc Labs did an audiophile LP issue of Layla in the early 80's, that is memory serves me well was very, very good. It's been about 18 years since I played it so maybe I need to listen again.
    Hey did anyone else think Clapton and Buddy Guy was superb on Saturdays concert. Hoochie, Koochie Man was awesome. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.