Lead singer of Buzzcocks Pete Shelley Dies at 63*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fortysomething, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sad news. I love Buzzcocks. RIP.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No need to apologise. You've done nothing wrong. You should be spoken too with respectful language and you were not.

3. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

January '77. Rushed out to buy Spiral Scratch. Blasted it out non-stop over that next week. Boredom said it all. The Buzzcocks were a poptastic thrill ride. Goodbye Pete; you made a difference to my life.

4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

From last year:
    [​IMG]

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Oh sassafras!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018
    Gavinyl and NaturalD like this.
  6. Plonk77

Plonk77 Forum Resident

Not sure what you are apologizing for. Nothing vague about it. Not everyone can know everything about everything!

NaturalD and Saint Johnny like this.
  7. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

How embarrassing....

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

9. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Bummer. Another good one lost.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Plonk77

Plonk77 Forum Resident

Why would anyone be grieving if they didn’t even know the name of the lead singer?

11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

RIP.

I met Shelley and Diggle on my lunch break one afternoon, about 15 years ago, when I was living in New Orleans. Lovely blokes. They invited me for a drink, but I had to get back to the office. I’ve always regretted that decision. Cracking show later that night, though.

Dave Decadent, DirkM, Gavinyl and 3 others like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So, you admit you were impolite and still think it's OK? There's no excuse for that as well as sarcastic comments about a "chosen few". Why are you being so nasty and antagonistic? It's a thread on a forum, nothing more. You getting annoyed over a triviality is nothing compared to the death of a much loved musician.

I love this forum and commend it. But your attitude here is very disappointing.

Osato, Charles Cooper, mc7t and 30 others like this.
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

You went through the same so I know you're going to relate to this. I was 14 and needed something to feel special and I found that in punk rock. Suddenly I was inside this small group of friends who knew some bands no one else knew, so we had something different which was the base over which we would build our personalities as individuals who were just not like everyone else (at least this was the feeling).

One of the most fascinating bands at that time was the Buzzcocks. Singles Going Steady was just the perfect soundtrack for my adolescence and I had that in my special Chrome cassette. This was still in the 80's.

Many years later during the Modern tour I had a chance to meet Pete and Steve Diggle in the backstage in a show in my Brazilian home town. Both my heroes treated me so well, made me feel so comfortable and welcome even knowing I wasn't even invited to that backstage and didn't have a pass or anything.

This is what punk is all about to me, no distance between fan and idol.

I'm truly sad to know Pete had passed away.

Thanks Pete Shelley for your superior art, charisma and kindness. I owe you a lot. You will never be forgotten. My heart is with you.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Dave Decadent, Suncola, Tanx and 7 others like this.
  14. Rest In Peace Pete....
    Fabulous songwriter.....The Buzzcock's were a great band, maybe Punk's best singles band.
    Very saddened by this news.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not everyone remembers the names of band members, but they should be allowed to be affected by the news as well.

If you told me that the guy who sang lead on the Tokens "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (a record I truly have loved since childhood) passed away but just put his name on the thread title without the rest of the information, how would I know? I don't know his name, but I'll love the song until I die. Don't I deserve to be informed?

It's selfish and it happens a lot here. Not everyone remembers band members' names from their childhood or whatever. Those of us that do owe it to the music lovers who don't. They shouldn't be left out. To do so is pretty rude, isn't it? I mean, if you don't know someone's name you are too stupid to feel a loss? C'mon, let everyone have a chance at remembering.

I'm still pissed. Pete deserves more than a three word thread title.

ashlee5, andrewskyDE, jc1303 and 3 others like this.
  16. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

You are joking!

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Lots of Buzzcocks & Pete Shelley being played on BBC 6Music. Homosapien on now. Sublime.

18. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

RIP. I loved "Singles Going Steady" lp.

Gavinyl, black sheriff and patient_ot like this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'd give quite a few people here a 'pass' for not knowing who Pete Shelly was...
    HE WAS GREAT!
    Those songs were pretty much classics...still are...

Gavinyl likes this.
  20. Plonk77

Plonk77 Forum Resident

So we should include enough detail so people who aren’t bothered enough to even know the lead singers name can have enough information to pretend to care?

21. oldsiamsir

oldsiamsir Forum Resident

Pete Shelley was a pioneer. RIP.

Kind of weird to be going on about what is selfish, when you are spouting off about board etiquette in an obituary thread.

22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Singles Going Steady was the first CD I ever bought.

Dave Decadent and punkmusick like this.
  23. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

Why Can't I Touch It?

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Buzzcocks w/Devoto, Manchester Free Trade Hall 1978.

25. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Yeah that was a surprise post. Globally famous punk band.....

Dave Decadent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.