Lead singer of Buzzcocks Pete Shelley Dies at 63*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fortysomething, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's all fair enough and valid, but has nothing to do with what I was saying. It's a thread on a message board. That's all, but you seem to think that point scoring against the OP who had nothing but good intentions is more important than reflecting on, respecting and celebrating a very influential musician who died today. You could have made your point with good manners, respect and tact, but chose pettiness, disrespect, bad manners and sarcasm instead.

2. Sound of the Suburbs

Sound of the Suburbs Forum Resident

A sign of a truly great band is the quality of their b sides. The Buzzcocks had some absolute corkers. Check out the second side of the Singles Going Steady album...

RIP Pete.

3. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Saw them with X and Los Lobos a couple of years ago, and they still were energetic and vital. Major bummer.

davers, TonyCzar, captone and 2 others like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

How I remember him.

Damn. Sad news.
    I first saw Buzzcocks in a pub near Chorlton, Manchester. They were crammed onto a tiny caged dancefloor surrounded by fans all over the cage. There was only about 30 people there and it was incredible. After that I saw them about 8 or 9 times at various venues all over Manchester in 77-78. Wonderful days and Pete Shelley was the man.
    1-2-3-4
    RIP

5. I absolutely loved this.....
    Steve takin lead vocals....but Pete's indifference....
    Great band.

6. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

This hurts, he will be missed.

Buzzcocks was one of the most important bands from my childhood and still is amazing to me today.

Dave Decadent, DirkM, Gavinyl and 9 others like this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yes, actually. Yes you should. You don't have to be a member of the fan club to be "cool" enough to like someone's music or "pretend to care" (classy!) about their death. It's entirely possible that someone might have loved the Buzzcocks maybe 20, 30, 40 years ago, but never learned or remembered the names of the bandmembers. They used to get played on the radio frequently when I was in high school, but I never learned the bandmembers' names until 10 years later when I started buying their CDs. If I hadn't done so, I still would have loved their music and would have wanted to know that one of them had passed. It might even inspire me to start listening to them again if I hadn't listened to them in 40 years.

In any case, this thread is hardly the time or the place to be arguing about this sort of thing. Just crank it the **** up.

TonyCzar, aroney, Gavinyl and 4 others like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Really sad. An icon for sure. RIP

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sadly ignored by many these days. Awhile back I bought and extra copy of the Homosapien LP to give to a friend. He had never heard it and he's a Buzzcocks fan. I think Shelley's first two solo albums are very worthwhile. It's not the Buzzcocks but if you like synth music those records are very underrated IMHO.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My favorite song by them and one of the greatest pop songs ever written IMHO.

11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Once a famous Brazilian MTV interviewer was interviewing Pete. The MTV guy said, they say the difference between American and British punk is that British punk lacks humor, what do you think of that? Shelley laughed out loud and replied, "No, it's fool of you man".
    He was very fast and intelligent too.

12. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Don't forget his brilliant solo hit

13. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Pete Shelley wrote THE most perfect slices of pop punk. There's nothing else I can really say but that.

Too young, rest in peace.

14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I really like Heaven and the Sea, too. I haven't heard any of his others besides Homosapien but both of those are worthwhile for fans of Shelley's writing, even though they don't sound like the 'Cocks.

punkmusick and captone like this.
  15. Plonk77

Plonk77 Forum Resident

I’m not arguing with anyone - I agree that enjoying the music is all it should be about. But I don’t think the host of this forum should be using this thread to berate members about “etiquette” either. Peace ✌️

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

One of the great joys of record buying back in those heady days was walking into a record store and seeing a Malcolm Garrett Buzzcocks 45 sleeve pinned to the wall. A delight for the ears and the eyes.

17. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Likewise. I chatted with him backstage after they opened for Pearl Jam. Pete even asked original bassist Steve Garvey, who lives north of Philadelphia, to sit in for a song or two. Pete answered questions about seeing the Sex Pistols the first time they performed in Manchester, aka "the gig that changed the world." He was grinning ear to ear the whole time. Rest in peace Mr. Shelly.

18. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I wouldn't apologise, anyone that knows, knows. Anyone that doesn't know, probably isn't interested anyway.

19. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

just think, the man brought the pistols to Manchester. The people in the crowd who went on to make some of the BEST music of that era, might be just as import as those incredible pop songs.

20. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

He didn't just see it, he co-promoted it. It wouldn't have happened without him.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:cry:

vince likes this.
  22. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Used to have a stack of their singles and the Spiral Scratch ep, also took me a couple of years but I eventually got my sticky mitts on a copy Razor Cuts (which I still have), cost me a fiver and this was nearly forty years ago.

Thanks for the tunes, Pete.

Man at C&A, Gavinyl and andybeau like this.
  23. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Oh no, what gutting news. :(

I've loved these guys forever and had the pleasure of seeing them 3 times in the past decade. Last year at Rebellion Fest they absolutely blew the roof off the place - never sounded better.

RIP Brother Pete - you were the real deal.

24. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Kind of amusing me that it's been kicking off a bit in this thread... Punks Not Dead

See ya Pete, thanks for the fun tunes.

JL6161, Droogmeister, AndrewS and 3 others like this.
  25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Confirmed attendees at that first Pistols gig in Manchester included Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto (obviously), Peter Hook, Bernard Sumner, Mark E Smith and Mick Hucknall.

Ian Curtis was at the second gig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.