Led Zeppelin II Monarch Matrix #

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peja11, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither Thread Starter

I've done extensive searching for a copy I have but most of the threads are about the RL hot pressings. I've found a listing on discogs that is close here: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II . But different enough to wonder if it's the same issue. I have enclosed a picture approximating the numbers on mine. Each line is in a different location on the run-out. Any help identifying mine would be helpful.

[​IMG]

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Your image isn't visible. Guessing it's behind a wall and you haven't published to the public.

Start with the Label, at the bottom of the label. Does it have pressing the plant code? ST-A-691671-MO. The first part should approximately match the deadwax without going into the generation of the mother used. The MO is Monarch. PR is Preswell. CP is Pitman. And CTH is Terra Haute.

People enter the matrix data into Discogs. The order of the matrix data is determined by the last guy that hit save. If all your characters match up to what is on Discogs, it's the same record. So people enter them top to bottom. Other enter them counter-clockwise. Most people start with the ST to match up with the label code. If it's Monarch, you might see a circle enclosed "MR".

3. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither Thread Starter

@ vinylontubes Thanks for the reply. It's certainly a Monarch. Don't know what's up with the photo. I've posted a few other photos the same way with no issues. I'll try to describe the matrix data as best I can. Each side has # sequences in two places and pressing marks in two places.

Side 1 ST. A.6916.71-L T______Then the Monarch MR in a circle.________Then .AT turned sideways, a triangle with a line through it, 14158 then a 5 inside a circle._______The final mark is an M with a dot over it.

Side 2 ST.A.691672-L_____The Monarch MR in a circle._______Then AT with a dot under it, a triangle with a line through it, 14158-X (1).________The final mark is an upside down M with a dot under it.

Do you care if I PM you the picture that won't show up for clarification?

4. JMWills

JMWills Member

Can anyone help me identify the pressing of Led Zeppelin II that I have. When I purchased I was told it was a first pressing RL Monarch. However I have received and opened the packaging and am unsure.

It reads as follows:

Side 1 ST-A-691671-MO
    Deadwax - STA691671 - L ATA14158 There is also a MR in a circle and what looks like a W further round the deadwax

Side 2 ST - A - 691671 - MO
    Deadwax - STA691672 - L ATA14158-X with MR in circle and what looks like a W further round in the deadwax

Label is Atlantic Green and Orange

Any ideas?

5. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hello,

I know this pressing. Unfortunately it is not the one cut by Robert Ludwig. In fact, it's the worst pressing I've heard! Very compressed, lacking power, details, bass ... etc ... The RL (mine is a Presswell LP) is a fantastic pressing but let's be honest, his hype is maintained by some fans who seems to need that to exist!? Strange behavior! There are other such remarkable presses. Personally, I own several RL (including the very rare German pressing RL both sides!), but now it's not my favorite pressing. I hope you did not spend too much money on your record! Kind regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.