Led Zeppelin II RL-Which pressing sounds best?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

After a year of searching, I can't believe I picked up an RL LZ II for SEVEN DOLLARS at a record consignment store in Portland. It was like Charlie finding the Golden Ticket when I pulled the record out to check the deadwax. A touxh crackly, but when the music starts...the bough RAWKS. The RL definitely lives up to the hype after a comparison with my later "Gold Record cover" pressing. SEVEN DOLLARS.

Echoes Myron, hazard, tmtomh and 4 others like this.
  2. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

For the record this is exactly what I have and I like it. Not dead silent though. Presswell.

3. rasputin1

rasputin1 Well-Known Member

I would agree. I have an at/gp SD19127 (yes not a typo) that sounds fantastic, pretty close to an RL I ab'd last year. It also sounds very similar to the latest remastered CD (R2-535225) which is superbly dynamic played on a good CD player (no $500 cheapies; I use an Onkyo C7000R). I can honestly say that it beats every other version of SD8236 I've heard except for the RL. In fact most of George Piros cut Atlantic disks in my collection sound pretty good, including a super thick original ELP eponymous album (SD9040) cut super hot with tremendous bass.

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I've just come across a mid-70s Japanese LZ II (P-10101A), which gives the GP version a run for its money. I still prefer the GP for slightly greater three dimensionality, but the Japan pressing has plenty of slam and detail along with an utterly silent background.

latheofheaven likes this.
  5. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I also have a mint copy of that Japanese album (2nd pressing I think I read) and it indeed sounds VERY good! 'Slam & Detail' are perfect words for it; it is a very dynamic pressing and THANKFULLY not way overbright like my Japanese pressing of 'V' (Gawd-AWFUL! [​IMG] )

Marc Perman likes this.
  6. trond hoel

trond hoel New Member

I'm not overy familiar with these things so I have to ask

MO=monarch
    PR=presswell
    CTH=columbia terra haute
    SP=Specialty Records Corporation Pennsylvania

correct?

Has there been discovered other press plants that did the RL pressing?

7. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

CP=Columbia, Pitman (NJ press, CP on labels).

8. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I picked up a new copy at a record show to replace my forum taster copy with skips. I hope to put in some more critical listening time with them, but I now have two Presswell copies.
    The first skipped one has B on side 1, C on side 2 and LW with double RL SS. The deadwax appears a similar size on both sides.

The new copy has A on one side and C on the other, with LW followed by what looks like a D, double RL SS. Deadwax on one side is significantly smaller.

9. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

10. zepster

zepster Well-Known Member

Short question: is this issue was mastered by Robert Ludwig by any chance?

It says this is a 2nd Issue, Monarch version, lacking "RL SS" in runout designating the first mastering by Robert Ludwig.

So I am bit lost now.

11. marcfeld69

Which issue? Is this something on Discogs?

12. zepster

zepster Well-Known Member

13. marcfeld69

I don’t know but it seems very ambiguously worded. You would absolutely have to get the seller to say if RL is in the dw. Doubt it. I think this is probably the Rob Grenell (sp?).

If ever was a case for James (Raunchnroll)...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

15. Slick Willie

RG mastered the early pressings of the debut. Don't know of any II's that he did.

Giorgio and marcfeld69 like this.
  16. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I think I saw one yesterday. VG+ and $1. Passed. I know, I know.

17. marcfeld69

Ah, yes.

18. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Forum Resident

I own the Classic and the MoFi and enjoy both; I actually find the MoFi the more enjoyable of the two. For someone who probably has more cash than time or expertise, this was the easier route to getting a decent sounding LZII in M to NM condition.

That said, do you feel it would it be worth it to track down an RL copy? The holdup for me has always been finding the "right" one, in good condition, without getting ripped off by an online seller.

19. marcfeld69

Know it's a reply to an old post, but worth adding that the Piros with the X lacquer as James has stated elsewhere is really comparable to the RL. I can't speak for the dynamics in detail here but it's a hot cut and almost as loud as the RL.

Giorgio likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Only you can answer that question as NM RL's will bring stoopid prices online and will probably involve bidding for one.
    If you've never heard one, then maybe a lower grade tester copy to see?
    Or a NM Piros press might be of interest?

21. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Forum Resident

That's fair. I wouldn't need a NM copy by any means. I haven't heard one so that's the nature of my curiosity with already owning the Classic and MoFi. What is reasonable for a VG copy these days?

22. Slick Willie

I would think <$100 USD. I see two copies on the forum now (possibly a third). One is a RL/LH hybrid though.
    I do hear good things on the LH. I wonder how it would do up against a Piros?

23. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Forum Resident

Good info, thanks!

Slick Willie likes this.
  24. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Never had and heard a Piros with the X lacquer ... :shrug:

25. marcfeld69

You’ve gotta get one! They’re not that hard to find on Discogs. Just check with the seller. My RL is only G+ - VG-, so it may be an unfair comparison, but the RL isn't that much different, and if you have the plum, it may be academic anyway. My plum is on the way so I’ll compare soon. :)

Be careful to note that it’s not the Xs that you get in stray places on the dw on these Piros Atlantics which are important, but rather the one(s) that come after the ST-A etc. catalogue no.

Giorgio and ODShowtime like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.