Led Zeppelin Japan 1971 tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Jimmy said it clearly: no multitracks prior to RAH 1970.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Jimmy also said back when Coda was released that there was nothing left in the vaults/archives.

Jimmy Page says a lot of things...

3. Probably true. RAH was January 9, 1970 and it would make sense that they didn't make an multitrack recordings in 1969. Of course Jimmy has said many things over the years that aren't exactly true so who knows?

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, it is unlikely that anything was recorded via multitrack in '69, or at the very least, commissioned by the band. One rumor has always been that there is a multitrack of the 1969 Texas Motor Speedway gig, but it has never been substantiated (the same goes for Bath 1970, 1971 UK shows, and Kezar Stadium 1973 -- likely all rumors, although JP did allude to recording 1971 shows in an interview back in the 70's). Fans pretty much know what exists in multitrack form, although there could always be a couple of surprises in the vaults, but that seems unlikely.

5. I've read on the Royal Orleans forum that the 'soundboard' recording is actually stereo Neumann stage mics which was also used on a '69 concert (The Dancing Avocado).

Studio_Two likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

Where did they get that information from?

7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I recorded Led Zeppelin during their show in Honolulu, Sept. 17, 1971 (No known source out there now)....last show before the Japan dates.

I had a small handheld Panasonic cassette machine and used Ampex and Mallory tapes. The recording was bearable and better of course during their acoustic set.

Sadly I've misplaced the tapes over the years, not realizing they'd have been a Holy Grail to collectors. I have nearly 200 boots of LZ and these Japan shows were fantastic and the Honolulu show was right up there as well.

[​IMG]

hbsbla, JeffMo, iggyd and 8 others like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

You are fortunate that Peter Grant didn't spot you and kick the crap out of you. ;)

9. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

What i s this famous japan 71 ? A new CD ?

10. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I was just a kid of 14 !

I was just behind John Bonham, a bit to the side, on the first edge of the balcony. It was an old wresting arena, 4,000 capacity, and the edge was only about 15 feet from John. There's a picture showing about where I was but it's too dark to tell if I'm in it or it could've been from the night before at the same venue.

I was right up there where you can see those standing behind Bonham.

[​IMG]

11. PacificOceanBlue

A boot. 9/29/71. Best sounding recording from the Japan '71 run of shows; some say it is a soundboard, or an great audience recording, or a stage recording, or even very rough copy of a multitrack.

12. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

That's the one I have. Supposedly that version is a matrix. As a rule I like matrix mixes, if done right you get clean sound of the instruments but it's not as dry, some reverb and echo to give it that live feel. It's not the best recording of the band but they are playing white-hot.

I wish Page would just hire an engineer and producer to dig through the vaults and get some of this stuff out there. The band can still have final approval on the mix. Hell, if the Stones, KC, and Yes can release vintage live shows why can't Zep? Don't get me started on the Who or Tull..or Rush...

jay.dee likes this.
  13. I'm just telling you what I read. It was a long time ago. Where is the information that it was a soundboard?

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I think Texas was/is incomplete and the Bath 1970 tapes were/are lost or there was a problem at the time with them?...it's been a while since I've sorted all the stories. We used to have a guy named Frank that came in the store all the time; he kept notebooks of what was around and from what show (pre internet) His holy grail was the Oakdale CT August 69 show which has since slipped out in dribs and drabs (from Woodstock weekend, no less)

I love this era of Zep live as the band was a bit looser with the arrangments and it's before Plant blew out his voice, so they didn't drench the vox in reverb.

Rockin' Robby and limoges like this.
  15. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I agree - How The West Was Won didn't just have acceptable sound, it's exceptional. As the years go on they will surely want to keep putting stuff out and I'd think Japan '71 would be a logical choice.

16. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I have a box set of the July 28/July 29th 1971 shows and they sound amazing. It comes with a dvd of 8mm footage that the band filmed of Japan when they were on tour. I don't know how THIS leaked, but it did.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  17. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I have a copy of that show. It is very good. Certainly sounds soundboardish, although it has audience recording to fill in the gaps. Still the "soundboard" part is certainly as good as the Paris show on the Bonus Disc.

18. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

The very recently released Winston remaster blows this version away. If I can find a link to it, I'll post. If you "Drop a Dime" so to speak, you can find it over there.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

According to Royal Orleans site

List of multitracked Led Zeppelin concerts

Confirmed:

1970.01.09 - Royal Albert Hall - London, England
    1971.09.23 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan
    1971.09.24 - Nippon Budokan - Tokyo, Japan
    1971.09.28 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan
    1971.09.29 - Osaka Festival Hall - Osaka, Japan
    1972.06.25 - The Forum - Los Angeles, CA, US
    1972.06.27 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA, US
    1973.01.22 - Southampton University - Southampton, England
    1973.07.27 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US
    1973.07.28 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US
    1973.07.29 - Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY, US
    1975.05.23 - Earls Court Arena - London, England
    1975.05.24 - Earls Court Arena - London, England
    1975.05.25 - Earls Court Arena - London, England
    1979.08.04 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England
    1979.08.11 - Knebworth House - Hertfordshire, England

20. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

thanks, but it is an ugly sound, not worth to debate. i have heard a lot of boots of led zep and not many were sounding good. the best one is destroyer (4 lps).

The Gomper likes this.
  21. Daniel Falaschi

So actually none of these have been released in entire form, but mostly as incomplete/frankensteining form. I think maybe in 5 years we will get an Earls Court "best of" in the form of HTWWW.

22. Daniel Falaschi

Seattle in 77 WAS NOT multitracked. I can personally confirm that one via people who worked at the Kingdome and also worked the Zeppelin show.

10/17/69 Carnegie Hall shows in NYC are confirmed as being multitracked through Eddie Kramer.
    6/29/29 RAH shows are rumored to be multitracked. I don't recall seeing any proof on that though.
    9/23 and 9/24 71 Tokyo confirmed mulitracked on 2 8 track machines using 2 inch tape.
    9/28 and 9/29 Osaka are confirmed also, same equipment as Tokyo.
    Japan 71 recordings are confirmed here from an interview in Crossbeat magazine.
    viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26340&start=50
    Jimmy Page himself or Peter Grant confirmed one of the Surrey shows in 68 was multitracked. I don't recall if the date was 10/15 or 10/25 since they played shows at Surrey University on both dates. I am personally leaning towards 10/25 only because that was their debut show as Led Zeppelin.

Rockin' Robby and ZEP77 like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I still can't find a source for that Carnegie Hall show being multitracked. I asked on RO.com and apparently he mentioned it in an interview when he initially set up his Eddie Kramer website. I've searched and searched but can't find that interview or any other interview where Eddie Kramer mentions it. I don't really think that show was multitracked.

Also, any source for the 68 show being multitracked? Does anyone know what interview Page or Grant mentioned it?

24. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

9/29 bump.
    The historic 9/29/71 Osaka concert was performed 45 years ago today.

JeffMo, Chris M, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

WHERE'S MISTER BOHNAM????

hornsz and violetvinyl like this.