Led Zeppelin Japan 1971 tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

As I read the thread, I have to make a conscious effort not to let my brain automatically read EV as 'Eddie Van'.

hiterss and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  2. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Interesting. I always heard Mike's mom gave his tapes to someone. Who that may have been, I don't know.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The story I read was that there were multiple offers from friends to catalogue and go through the tapes that remained but she refused to let anyone access his belongings.

Roberto899 likes this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah, I've heard that story as well. Whether Millard destroyed his tapes or his mum refuses to give anybody access to them...well, at the end of the day, they're his tapes, he could do what he liked with them. Same goes for Freezer and his tapes, for that matter.

Roberto899, marmalade166 and eddiel like this.
  5. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

The other day someone posted a link to a Japanese website that sells lots of "live" shows...I've been racking my brain trying to remember which thread it was in, but I can't find it...would anyone reading this thread happen to know or have an idea regarding what that website might have been...I think it was something like "CDJapan" or something like that.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

$200 for a chopped up bootleg? With unnecessary brickwalled mastering to boot? Jesus christ.

hvbias and Liquid77 like this.
  7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Given that posting those kinds of links is strictly verboten here (we can talk about bootlegs, but not how to acquire them) I'd imagine the post was probably stricken from the record in a Tokyo minute...

coolsound likes this.
  8. Floydhead1989

Floydhead1989 Forum Resident

"I am afraid Mr Bonham went to the bath with a geisha." Robert Plant

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    ODShowtime likes this.
  9. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

I'm 99% sure that CDJapan only sells officially released Japanese CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays and collectibles, no boots, so it's not them.

MC Rag likes this.
  10. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

No, but their name is really similar. I get emails from them, but I couldn't find it easily just quick searching now. Next time I get an email, I'll try to remember to post back here.

11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Imminent 9/28 soundboard tape release announced by Empress Valley:

[​IMG]
    New Led Zepp SBD on Empress Valley! – Collectors Music Reviews

rednax, johnny q, ODShowtime and 5 others like this.
  12. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

They released the soundboard Black Dog from the 28th last year, and then a partial soundboard for the 29th - so if they're releasing the rest of the 28th, where's the remaining soundboard for the 29th I wonder?

13. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Here's the setlist for the 9/28/71 show:

Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Loving You, Black Dog, Dazed and Confused, Stairway to Heaven, Please Please Me/From Me To You, Celebration Day, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, That's the Way, Going to California, We Shall Overcome (acoustic jam), Tangerine, Down By The Riverside (acoustic jam), What Is and What Should Never Be, Moby Dick, Whole Lotta Love (medley incl. Let That Boy Boogie, Bachelor Boy, Maybelline, Hello Mary Lou), C'mon Everybody, High Heeled Sneakers, Communication Breakdown

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  14. rolnstn2

rolnstn2 Well-Known Member

15. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Please Please Me and From Me To You are not even worth mentioning. They are just tiny fragments of them messing around. The real title for "Let That Boy Boogie" is "Boogie Chillun'" by John Lee Hooker. A really cool medley including D in Love and Bachelor Boy (both Cliff Richard), Down The Road A Piece and Maybelline (both Chuck Berry) and Hello Mary Lou (Ricky Nelson). For C'mon Everybody and High Heeled Sneakers, Atlantic exec Phil Carson played bass and roadie Clive Coulson sang.

Hep Alien, guidedbyvoices and jay.dee like this.
  16. featheredfiend

For those who have heard both the 9/28 and 9/29 shows, how do they compare in terms of performance and sound quality?

17. marmalade166

More details of the upcoming 28/9 soundboard...

Hot news from Japan!

A long awaited soundboard recording of Led Zeppelin performing in Osaka, Japan on September 28, 1971 is now have been announced and it will be released due for Xmas.

The Empress Valley Supreme Disc is about to release this fully uncirculated soundboard tape in three unique formats, each with different content, artwork and strict limitation. Unfortunately, from the info given, it is said that this new soundboard tape is incomplete and yet there are no any photo of the artwork.

• Please Please Me Ultimate Rare Promo Collector's Box - 6CD box with obi including soundboard recording and a mix of the soundboard and audience sources from September 28th, 1971 show and special bonus disc featuring various rare live performances of Beatles songs from few different locations. Each CD set is housed in special paper cases inside an exquisite box. This set is limited to 100 copies only.
    • God Save the Queen Extremely Rare Collector's Box - 5CD box with obi including soundboard recording and a mix of the soundboard and audience sources from September 28th, 1971 show only. Each CD set is housed in special paper cases inside an exquisite box. This set is also limited to 100 copies only.
    • Extremely Ltd Standard Set - 3CD paper case edition with obi features a mix of the soundboard and audience sources to provide a complete version of this awesome show. This set is limited to 200 copies only.
    From here Led Zeppelin Database

Hep Alien, rednax, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  18. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

What do they charge for the pleasure of owning one of these releases? :shh:

19. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

They 9/29 soundboard release was the best Led Zeppelin release since probably 2003. This one should be awesome too! Please include Celebration Day, I love the 1971 12-string version so much!

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is of course.....exciting news.

I have to say though, isn't it ironic that we have acquired our best Zep stuff recently, through unofficial sources? All that chatter about "all manner of surprises" etc. etc.?

rockclassics and Liquid77 like this.
  21. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

After the teasing single CD of 928 Black Dog, three years ago it was only a matter of time to see more of the elusive Japan SB recordings released. Eric Sachs refers to it as incomplete and rather than comparing it to the content of 929 How the East Was Won, he quotes the fragmentary Orlando, FL August 71 SB recording in his newsletter... A hint that we may expect some Whole Lotta Meddley this time?
    I found the absence of the medley THE most frustrating issue on the 929 SB release.

ODShowtime likes this.
  22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Until that moment when the figure in the hooded wizard's robe in charge of EVSD turns to the camera and removes his hood, revealing himself to be... Jimmy Page!

23. marmalade166

For reference this is the partial soundboard for Florida '71

Immigrant Song
    Heartbreaker
    Since I've Been Loving You
    Dazed And Confused [small cut]
    Black Dog
    Stairway To Heaven
    Celebration Day [missing]
    That's The Way [missing]
    Going To California [missing]
    What Is And What Should Never Be [partial]
    Moby Dick
    Whole Lotta Love [partial but we do get the first 17 odd minutes]
    Organ Solo [partial]
    Thank You

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Hep Alien and Duckman like this.
  24. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

There are several audience recordings for both nights, 9/29 gets the edge, there are also 2 sound boards of 9/29, the older “stage recording” and newer excellent soundboard.
    The best audience recording of 9/28 is very good and very listenable, yet incomplete, there are versions of the show available with another recording mixed in to complete the show. Both Osaka shows are incredible, in fact All the Japan 71 shows are excellent performances and essential for Zep fan (antics) s

Duckman, laf848 and featheredfiend like this.
  25. featheredfiend

Thank you sir!