Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti - 1st U.S. double Lp Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott333, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. Glossy Nightmare

Glossy Nightmare New Member

Where would I find that information? I’m still unable to track this pressing down, presumably it’s a first press. I’ve looked at the matrix in all four side multiple times and that’s what I’m seeing.

3. Slick Willie

It will be in the wax. With -D plates, I would suspect a GP to be there.

4. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I'm interested in this. I could be recalling wrongly but I don't remember that anyone on SH ever found Piros's initials on a copy of the US LZIII? (Possibly, it's just that it's not on my copy.)

5. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Correcting my own post. Seems there are plenty of Piros cuts. I was thinking of copies where there is no signature but possibly being by Piros, perhaps.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Can you post a picture of the side 4 deadwax?

7. Glossy Nightmare

Glossy Nightmare New Member

I was told it was a Specialty Pressing from later on that year in another thread. Looks like it matches up.

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwwi, the US copy of PG I have is all -B all 4 sides with 2 lighter B's following on each side. PR all 4 sides. F.T. on 2 sides. AT all 4 sides. So these records were then apparently. pressed in Richmond, Indiana.

This is courtesy of discogs...at least as it pertains to this deadwax in PG.

Some copies come with a promo sticker "Promotional Copy NOT FOR SALE" and a black sticker with list of songs on front cover (see pic).
    There is not evidence to exist an "A" matrix for this US pressing, the older one is identified by the letter "B", as the variant 3 here below.

Distributed by Atlantic Recording Corporation/75 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, New York 10019/
    ℗ © 1975 Atlantic Recording Corporation/Printed in U.S.A

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Giorgio likes this.
  9. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

As my promo copy, a single -B on all four sides, Presswell pressing.

dee likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Mine has the strong B but is followed by the 2 much lighter B's on all 4 sides. Reading through this thread and the Atlantic label deadwax link in this thread it appears I do have an early 1975 pressing, per the deadwax cat#, but it's a Richmond, Indiana pressing. I don't think it's a US first pressing run though?

11. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

FWIK there us no cut "A", so your "B" should be a 1st for sure.

dee likes this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

I was hoping so...

Giorgio likes this.
  13. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

A very experienced fellow on another thread with a system worth north of $50k said that the 1st Japanese pressing used the same plates as the 1st UK and in his opinion, next to the 200 gram Classic Records pressing, both tied for a strong 2nd place. I just wrote a seller with a NM copy asking him about it :) FWIW, I have what I believe is the 2nd Japanese pressing of II, and as far as I'm concerned it is my 'go to' for that album. Excellent dynamics!

Soundslave likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

If same plates were used, there should be 2 sets of numbers in dead wax?
    I'm not seeing that ... looking at examples on Discogs.

15. latheofheaven

I know... I don't remember which member it was and I MIGHT have misunderstood, but he honestly sounded without sounding arrogant, like he had a LOT of experience and his equipment was outta sight! I do know that he felt that the 1st UK and the 1st Japanese 'tied' for 2nd place in his estimation. If I end up getting that Japanese one, I'll come back here later on and give my 'impressions'...

16. Slick Willie

:doh:

17. latheofheaven

Now Willie, behave yourself! I'm serious when I say that this guy truly sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Another fellow on a different thread here about this album has the 1st Japanese pressing and says that it sounds excellent. Being that my US pressings are kind of muffled, I'm looking forward to hearing it. I DO after all have the early Japanese pressing of II and it is indeed my 'go to' copy. It has amazing dynamics, the best I've ever heard from this album, especially when you crank up Whole Lotta Love, it's honestly amazing!

18. Slick Willie

Still chasing "the one" I see. Other than Presence and TSRTS, you won't find it in Japan.:unhunh:

Engineer X and ripping corpse like this.
  19. latheofheaven

Hmmm... listening to my 1st US pressing now. I think I bought it new so it is totally clean, which I guess for this album is saying something. I also warmed up my system longer today, and I THINK I have the 3 amps balanced more evenly. It's sounding pretty DAMN sweet at the moment! :D

The dynamics are awesome (just now listening to In My Time of Dying) The song goes from soft to loud a lot of times, so it is a good gauge. The other day I was only listening to Custard Pie, which on listening to more of the album now I think I can see it is not a good example from the album. This song is pretty much kicking my @ss at the moment (not that it takes much...)

I haven't heard back from the guy about the Japanese pressing yet, but you know, listening to this now and seeing that the album cranked up is most definitely making me sterile, I'm thinking that honestly I don't think I can do much better than this (with the possible exception of the unobtainable Classic Records pressing of course)

Yep... It's hitting the solo now and my nutz are definitely off my body somewhere in the room... I'm thinking that I'm just going to stay with this one. And @Slick Willie, don't gloat... that doesn't necessarily mean that the Japanese doesn't sound great like my Japanese of II which is awesome, so there! [​IMG]

***EDIT

BTW, there is a cough at the end that I hadn't noticed before, does that mean anything...?

shappy2 likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Cough means you got the full edit.
    How many of your sides are GP? How many are F.T.?
    And yeah...smart move is to abandon the idea of JPN and Classic issues on this title....and all others ....except for Presence and TSRTS.
    Just sayin....
    :uhhuh:

21. latheofheaven

I'm pretty sure it is this one. At first, like I said, I was dismayed that it was a BMG release, but it has the Specialty Records stamp on all 4 sides. All 4 sides also have Sam Feldman written in script. I think you made a comment earlier about him that didn't sound to great, but honestly the sound quality is quite good and easily bests another run of the mill Non-Club copy that I also have, which sounded rather washed out.

I don't know if it means anything because it honestly did sound pretty damn good today, but apparently there is only 1 copy available of this pressing for sale for $249 :) Anyway, I'm glad that I listened to more of the album today. I hadn't realized how much variance there was in quality between songs, although many have mentioned it here. It' super clean, although I did just run it through my DIY ultrasonic RCM today. Looks very pristine and it is totally quiet, which is nice. And, apparently it sounds really good which is even nicer :D

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

[​IMG]

dee likes this.
  22. Slick Willie

Good that you found one you like!
    The album is a collection of new and old tunes, so that's why the SQ varies between tracks.

ODShowtime, latheofheaven and dee like this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes that's the 1987 release. 12 less years of playing wear perhaps on that copy ;). The sf cut is from 1987. There may be more listings for it if you type in sf in one search and sam feldman in a separate search (along with Physical Graffiti). I liked the sound of the copy I had and a few others. Fwiw I now mostly prefer the sound on the Diament cds and the convenience of sequencing tracks and even trying a few edits for fun.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    latheofheaven and hi_watt like this.
  24. Dave Haladay

Dave Haladay Forum Resident

I know this is a very general question about Physical Graffiti with quite a few answers, but here goes. I can get a NM copy for $65 that is an SP pressing, or EX/VG+ PR pressing for $45. I don't know the matrix numbers or letters in the dead wax. Generally, even without knowing anything else, are PR pressings better than SP pressings? I realize the matrix info tells everything, but just curious.

25. latheofheaven

@Slick Willie might be able to guide you on this one. There were just SO damn many pressings of their albums. VERY generally I found that Specialty Records has put out some very good pressings, but I don't know all the other multitudinous variables that would play into this one. I would say that if there is any way to get the deadwax runout information, that would be very helpful. But, IF you can indeed get an early Specialty Records pressing that is truly NM, then that sounds pretty dang good...

Dave Haladay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.