Led Zeppelin reissues - what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrownedGod

DrownedGod Forum Resident

While not a popular thing to say here, I am one of "those people" who think the 1990 remasters are the preferred listening choice.

I happen to own the 4-disc Led Zeppelin box set and, while I agree the new remasters have decent artwork, there haven't been many discs released that can compare with the large print booklet in the 4-disc box in terms of commentary, photos (full pull out centerfold) and overall track selection and running order.

I always find the original CD's a little dull on the top end; yes they have dynamic range, but so do the Marino's.

The new remasters are a cash grab in my view, which is OK - I don't fault them for wanting to make money, but after sampling several of the new issues "used", I don't think they would be worth the purchase. Just not enough of an improvement over the 1990 remasters to justify the coin. And to answer the OP's question - that's what went wrong, in my view. And I'm not sure it could have been any other way...

And, if you go back to the print news, you'll find Page saying the same kind of comments about the 1990 CD's being so much better and that the original CD issues were rushed and used inferior sources, similar to how he did in 2014.

marcfeld69, The Beave and SonicBob like this.
  2. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Does your UK 2nd press Physical Graffiti have the massive deadwax area on all 4 sides with "EG"? I also have that one and it sounds crap compared to the A1/B4-B5/C1/D1.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

We've been through this before. So you're basing your certain opinion of the two on a needledrop you heard? What is the provenance of this needledrop? What eqpt was it done on - especially vis a vis what you're hearing the UK plum label? Was there any tinkering of the needledrop? Assuming it was actually a needledrop of a Canadian red label pressing, was it the good or bad red label cut (the good one used a better source)?

All I know is I have the original US, a plum UK, the good Canadian red label, and the recent reissue vinyl. I've listened to them to all of them on the same eqpt. The red label Canadian has something the others don't. One thing it is not is veiled.

Now whether it's worth chasing one down rather than buying the reissue is a different question. But IMO the difference between the UK and Canadian is appreciably bigger than the difference the UK and the US.

marcfeld69, moofassa_ca and Easy-E like this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

It's interesting how pressings like that are highly regarded. I had mint copies of I, II, III of the Canadian red label LP's and I simply wasn't impressed. I much preferred the reissues and I seem to not be the only one. I never understood what people hear in those red label pressings. I think it has more to do with how scarce they are rather than how they actually sound LOL

johnny q and marcfeld69 like this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

To shame? Really? I heard both and didn't feel that way at all.

johnny q likes this.
  6. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

IMO nothing went wrong. I love the deluxe 2 X LP editions. And they sound better than the 80´s and 90´s CD editions.

RichardG and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Again...there is a bad Canadian red label cut of LZ3. Do you know which you had? If not, then you very may well be comparing apples and oranges - in fact, I'd say almost certainly because the good one is very good.

It has nothing to do with scarcity.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Not sure, I no longer have it so I don't know what was in the deadwax. That being said there wasn't 1 red label I did like, so....

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

Lol, I have both as well and much prefer the original Reds. No matter which pressing you prefer, we can all agree the music is great.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

The bonus tracks were a disappointment overall.

Joti Cover and rockclassics like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wanna see the results of that poll someone did the other day on which Zeppelin CD mastering sounds better, according to the forum.

12. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

No complaints here, but then again I don't have any Zep originals on Vinyl. I do on CD though.

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Can't argue there! lets be honest, it shouldn't be about which is better, it should be about how can a fan today track this stuff down, not pay through the nose and come out with a clean sounding LP of some incredible music? Hunting down these originals can be hard, expensive and even then you are not promised a good playing copy. Picking up the reissue for $20 or what have you, is much easier to do. It's not like they are crap or anything, it really comes down to preference. I happen to think they were well done.

Zep II probably being my least favorite of the bunch and I'd love to finally hear an RL II for real.

14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The new LZ reissue lack the air of originals

Digitally mastered, compressed
    Over emphasize the bass
    What's not to like?

Easy to get carried away with trumped up energy over authenticity

A UK, US or Classic sounds so much more dynamic and open

These are good for people who want a clean copy at low cost
    But to hold them up to the other, they fall short

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I finally bought an RL last year, with a little patience...

This is explosive

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Each time I see it in the bins my heart skips a beat.....one day it will happen. I was in Portland, Maine this summer and I thought I had one and started to sweat, but alas it was not :(

One day...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

This was click bait for sure love the reissues

18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I have 4 1 inch thick boxes in my album shelf with books, cds and lps (that I never play)
    Shame they didn't try to make the best sounding releases possible

19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Discogs, ebay, other uk online sellers
    You can find a copy at a "moderate" price

Also the firt german has rl side a only

WLL is the biggest impact
    Good way to hear what is there at a lower price

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks! I have, over the years, kept my eye on auctions and copies for sale. It tends to get expensive, especially the copies I've seen. Also, the grading seems to be low, and I'm not sure how many are out there is great condition? I'll keep trying though. I've taken a step back from buying online as it's getting too expensive. Our currency has gone down and shipping costs up, all over the world. I should have bought all this stuff in the 90's when not many people were paying attention LOL

21. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I own one only because I purchased the record on the first day it came out. It is one of the oldest records in my collection. However, there would have been more in circulation had Ahmet Ertegun not panicked when he heard his daughter's cheap Woolworth phonograph skip through the record an had it damped down with a new cutting.

However, if one is lucky enough to find a clean George Piros cutting from the mid 1970's, it's very close to the RL in my opinion. I listen to that version all the time.

22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

They are still out in the wild. My buddy owns a record shop, and they find their way to his place ever so often. Most are pretty beat up and played hard. I found mine in a used record bin about 15 or so years ago. It's a little rough in spots and has considerable SN, but it is one thunderous piece of vinyl. I've been keeping an eye open for a cleaner copy. Good luck with your hunt Vinyl Fan, I hope you find one soon.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

LOL actually the copy I found in Portland was an early Piros and I left it!! Can you imagine? I was so bummed that it wasn't an RL that I just put it back. I really should have nabbed it as it was in very good condition, but I didn't want to have to carry it around all day.

Also, I have been burned by picking up copies of II, and not really enjoying them, so I've decided to leave everything until I find the RL. I don't think it's a great recording to begin with, so that doesn't help.

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks! I appreciate that. I think the hunt is as much fun as actually finding one. Each time I flip through the Zep section, or new arrivals section, and I see it, I get filled with excitement that I might have just hit the jackpot. I know it will happen one day, I always send the RL vibes into the universe before I go record digging LOL

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Are the recent Led Zep vinyls really that bad? I found the cds to be ok and got the boxes with the hi res download codes which I think are ok. The vinyl reissue packaging was well done I thought. All my originals are 30 to 40 years old and the new ones compare very well in terms of sleeves and inners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.