Legend of Boggy Creek Getting a BD Restoration

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by unclefred, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie Thread Starter

vconsumer, Karnak and fsutall like this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool! Classic movie.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

about time!

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Boggy Creek 2 on Rifftrax - classic.

5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Here's Brad Jones/The Cinema Snob giving his two cents on the movie.

unclefred likes this.
  6. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

While I'd enjoy seeing a restored copy, the grungy prints currently available enhance the feel of the movie, much in the same way those grainy copies of Night of the Living Dead....

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

As said, sometimes the original look of the movie, as it may be, adds to the overall feel and effect.

Not a fan of colorizing B&W or restoring or enhancing any movie to the highest level of crystal clarity, aware that fans of some, like 'Boggy', may feel otherwise.

8. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind if they improved on the clarity but honestly all it would do is make the man-in-a-suit that much more obvious... the crappy prints remind me a lot of the actual Patterson-Gimlin film. It's technically a horror dramatization posing as an actual documentary; a spit n polish would have the inevitable side effect of stripping all that pretense, making it a lot less engaging film.

9. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

The main reason I have never watched this movie is that the only way to see it was crappy, pan and scan, poor, dark VHS copies. I'll be glad to see it remastered on bluray. And no I don't think it will look too polished to lose its effect.

unclefred and Karnak like this.
  10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

The MST3K episode is one of the best from the Sci-Fi Channel. I can practically quote it.

rebellovw likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

My favorite is Brain that wouldn't die - kills me. Don't go near the motor area - you will paralyze him for good (him - is a dead guy.)

12. Heh. My father was out of town when Boggy Creek was at the local drive-in. I convinced my mother to take my sister and I by telling her it was a Disney-type nature movie.

13. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

LOL, so funny. I think that was Mike's first episode as host?

14. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I can top that.

All my college friends were out of town when CABIN FEVER opened. Previews made it look like a throwback to EVIL DEAD with some OUTBREAK mixed in. My mother was game to see it based on my description alone. Grim horror movie, looked scary enough in the previews, so why not.

10 minutes in, out of nowhere comes a sex scene so crass, it rivaled the "stick-o-butter" moment in LAST TANGO IN PARIS.

I was so embarrassed that had it been possible to dig a hole in the theater floor and bury myself alive, I gladly would've done so.

kevywevy likes this.
  15. Kevin Wood

Kevin Wood Well-Known Member

Great Point... I couldn't agree more.

16. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Scared?!

My brother and I were laughing at the low budget acting and overall production values when it first appeared in our local theater.

I'ld make my brother laugh imitating this line with the accent and all..."Mareh Beth, Mareh Beth...Come clowz this winda' or this by-BAHz gonna' get a cow-old.... Ow-rot, Ow-rot, juzta meenut."

unclefred likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, I don't agree. I think even grindhouse movies look better when they're pin-sharp and cleaned up. I don't buy that great entertainment has to look all beat up and ****ty. Same thing with music. A crystal-clear CD or LP sounds a lot better and has fewer distractions than a beat-to-hell 45RPM single that sounds like Rice Krispies.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Amen

19. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I just am dubious on making this particular film "crystal clear" would add a new dimension of enjoyment, much like wiping a smudge off my glasses that is there, but hasn't obstructed my sight to the point where I can't stand it.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against it being restored and would watch it. Some cleanups do enhance low budget productions. TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is a prime example. The newer editions look beautiful, but the entire look of the film is still so filthy-dirty that the grindhouse feel is still present.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's pretty much the way it works.

21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

YES! This movie freaked me OUT as a kid.

22. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN, by the same director, is even better (and freakier)....

Manimal likes this.
  23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Saw that. It was freaky.

Glaeken likes this.
  24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

You mean you didn't laugh when the man leaps straight up off the toilet while taking a dump from the creature showing up at the bathroom window?

Bluesman Mark and Manimal like this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

No way, I was in shock:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.