Legendary engineer Ed Greene talks about his Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd-"Jazz Samba"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 28, 2013.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The thing is, those DCC records hung around at retail for quite a while. This one really hung around.

It wasn't really my bag in the '90s, but I decided to buy it for my dad after he had upgraded his system. Paid retail, which was $25. The original was one of his favorite albums.

I now own the DCC, and it is different in that the musicians aren't on top you, it isn't loaded with inner detail, and the recording is quite relaxed. It's clear that the recording space is larger than the usual.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    rxcory likes this.
  2. Albireo

Albireo Forum Resident

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - are there any remarkable SQ differences between the CD remasters from '97 onwards? I see the album has been recently (2012) repackaged in a double album CD together with "Jazz Samba Encore!" in a "brand new digital remastering". Any good?

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I can't speak to after '97. I have the early CD ('85??) and a later one from, IIRC, 1997. I've never A/B'd them, but they both seem okay.
    Legit/licensed, or EU public domain release?

4. Albireo

Albireo Forum Resident

5. kda

kda Senior Member

This thread is a treat. My vinyl rig was out of commission for literally years but has been operational for a few months now. I clicked on this thread and thought to myself that I think I have this album and sure enough there it was on the shelf. I have a Japanese import that Google tells me was released in 1982. I don't know how it stacks up against other releases but it is playing now and sounding pretty good to my old ears.

I would have purchased it from Tower Records off Pennsylavania Avenue in Washington DC in the 80s, probably after listening to some tracks on Felix Grant's Sunday evening FM radio show.

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Albireo likes this.
  7. Wayne Orr

Wayne Orr New Member

Hi. Glad I found this forum. I am a retired camera operator who spent many hours working along side Ed Greene from the late Seventies till I retired a few years ago. What rubs me, is I know for a fact that Ed is way my senior by more than a couple of years and he is still the greatest mixer working in the business, and a great gentleman to boot. I recommend that you look up Ed Greene on Imdb

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman I heard a rumor that Ed passed away yesterday. Any truth to this?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I wouldn't know but he's a really old guy so maybe. Great talent.

10. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

Yes, Ed has passed. He was a terrific person.

paulmock likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ed Greene's loss is a sad one, a superb recording engineer and so much more.

wwright and paulmock like this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Russ Gary Thank you for the verification. Truly a gifted magician with "the dials". But, as Steve mentioned, he lived a long and full life. He'll be remembered happily via all of his musical gifts.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is the stereo or mono mix better for this one?

14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Haven't heard the mono, but the stereo soundstage is quite nice, with acoustic bass and Stan Getz's sultry tenor sax left, percussion center, and Charlie Byrd right.

McLover, wwright and chacha like this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great. I usually prefer mono from this period but I found a nice looking stereo copy yesterday so looking forward to hearing it. Thanks

wwright likes this.
  16. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

You talk about the stereo or the mono lp?
    thanks

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Both are just that. Good, honest recordings.

shutdown66 and .crystalised. like this.
  18. I recently purchased the SHM CD, and was blown away by how great it sounds. Lots of "room" ambiance, even through my headphones.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I am spinning the DCC CD. How terrific the bowed bass sounds! It’s as smooth as butter!

.crystalised. and rxcory like this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The mic for CB is M49? And what brand are the other mics?

21. Steve Hoffman

Cat see the pic but Ed used German mics whenever possible. To counteract the inherent softness of the Ampex.

22. Steve Hoffman

If I had it to do over again, I guess I would add some upper midrange to the recording, around 6k maybe. Give a bit more life to everything. On the other hand, the DCC Gold CD/Lp is really what the thing sounds like. I doubt any other version is so true to the master tape..

McLover, wwright and rxcory like this.
  23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Was it for CD or vinyl? For which label?

ledsox likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Digital, DSD. I think it was for Asia.

yasujiro likes this.
  25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    wwright and jfeldt like this.