Leon Russell Audio Fidelity SACDs vs DCC versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grateful Ed, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more talk here comparing these releases (or if there is I haven’t found it).

I have the DCC gold of S/T and The Right Stuff reissue of Shelter People.

How do the recent Audio Fidelity reissues compare to Steve’s work?

2. Grateful Ed

Anybody? We’ve got the same albums mastered once by Steve Hoffman and once by Kevin Gray. I can’t believe how little talk and comparison I’ve read about these releases!

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I have the Best of compilation and two of the AF CDs. Not at home right now, so I'm not sure how many of the tracks are common to both, but I can check later today if that helps.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  5. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

The 5 DCC silver discs I have sound so good that I did not feel the need to replace them when AF reissued a couple of those titles. Leon Live, alone, did not sound as good as the other titles but I think that has to do with the original mix. (I've heard The Right Stuff live discs and they are certainly no better.)

Grateful Ed likes this.
  6. Grateful Ed

7. Grateful Ed

Thanks! Looks like that compilation has 3 or 4 tracks from each album (S/T and Shelter People).

The gold DCC for S/T has different mastering than the silver release. I could upload a sample if you’re interested in doing a comparison with that too.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, I compared two tracks from each SACD to their counterparts on the DCC Best of. While the DCC is no slouch, I prefer the sound on the AF SACD for all four tracks. The sound is clearer, cleaner and more neutral. By comparison, the DCC is louder and more forward-sounding. The DCC also sounds a bit more EQed.

That's OK, these days I don't enjoy comparing masterings nearly as much as I used to.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

DCC was a flat transfer.

10. Grateful Ed

Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time to compare those!

11. Grateful Ed

Which DCC was a flat transfer?

Do the tracks from the Best Of Leon DCC share the same mastering as the silver versions of S/T and Shelter People?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Shelter People.

No.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

No problem, here's a visual of one track, Delta Lady, in case that helps. This one is from the DCC Best of:

[​IMG]

The one below is the AF, CD layer:

[​IMG]

supermd likes this.
  14. Grateful Ed

Wow that’s very interesting. The visual from the DCC looks like the kind of waveform that gets a lot of people here all worked up, yet I never read anything but praise for the Leon DCCs.

George P likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

I imagine the praise for the other Leon DCC CDs, since Steve said above that they were not mastered the same as the Best Of DCC CD.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  16. Grateful Ed

Good point. I guess that means I should take your comparisons with a grain of salt :D

Maddin61 likes this.
  17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

People praise releases with some mastering compression or limiting all the time on this forum, other people dismiss them.

mozz, curbach and George P like this.
  18. Grateful Ed

What program are you using to create those visuals? I’d like to do the same for the DCC gold of Delta Lady.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Grateful Ed likes this.
  20. Grateful Ed

21. Grateful Ed

Alright that was easier than I expected. Here is Delta Lady from the DCC Gold disc:
    [​IMG]

George P likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for that!

23. Grateful Ed

Does the AF disc uses the mixes for Shoot Out On The Plantation and Hurtsome Body that are on the DCC gold or silver?

24. Grateful Ed

Well I went ahead and bought the AF Shelter People, and I do think it is an improvement over the standard DCC. The differences aren’t huge, but the AF is a little smoother and more natural sounding. The difference isn’t as big as the difference between the DCC silver and gold, but it’s still a noticeable improvement.

George P likes this.
  25. Grateful Ed

Well I also got a copy of the AF Leon S/T. For those who are curious, the mixes used for Shootout On The Plantation and Hurtsome Body are the same mixes used on the DCC gold opposed to the alternate mixes on the DCC silver. A Song For You still has the same glitch at the end present on all versions.

The AF is not as warm as the DCC gold, but warmer than the DCC silver. I think it strikes a really nice balance. I haven’t decided which I like more yet, but the inclusion of Old Masters and the bonus material on the DCC gold give it some advantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.