Leon Russel's Former Home / Studio For Sale

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"The late-rocker used the bright green house as a recording studio in the ‘60s and ‘70s. Among the releases recorded within its walls was Russell’s 1970 self-titled solo LP, with Joe Cocker, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood and Ringo Starr among the many guest contributors. The home’s location on Skyhill Drive earned it the name Skyhill Studios."

“Formerly owned by 1970s rock n' roll legend Leon Russell,” the listing boasts. “Russell (and 2 of the Beatles, most of the Stones, and more) recorded inside the house, known as ‘Skyhill Studios.’ If these walls could sing!”

Was *anything* from the first album recorded there? I didn't think so. A few songs from Shelter People apparently were.

Musical Chairs and rockclassics like this.
  3. rockclassics

According to Wikipedia it appears you are correct and nothing that made it to the album was recorded there. But I have to think some demos for that first album may have been done at Skyhill.

Leon Russell first album studios -

Olympic Studios, London; Sunset Sound Studios, Los Angeles; Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles; Wally Heider Studios, Los Angeles and Ardent Studios, Memphis[1]

lukpac likes this.
  4. rockclassics

5. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I'd buy it if I had a couple extra million sitting around.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

rockclassics likes this.
  7. rockclassics

Thanks for the info on the taxes. I noticed they looked very low for California. But I had forgotten about Prop 13.

8. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Not a very nice looking house.
    As for the real estate taxes, it is quite low but you will more than make up for that by the taxes/fees you'll pay elsewhere by living in CA.

9. rockclassics

I just remembered the Asylum Choir II album he did with Marc Benno. According to Wikipedia it was recorded at Skyhill Studios February 1967 – April 1969,
    Skyhill Studios, Hollywood.

The back of the album has a picture of Leon and Marc in what appears to be a control room. I wonder where that was located in the house?

The first Asylum Choir album was also recorded at Skyhill according to Wikipedia.

10. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I was lucky to see him in his heyday at the Montreal Forum back in the old days, but he really pissed me off while playing guitar. He stood on his grand piano, dropped his cigarette onto the piano and rubbed it out with his boot. Arggghhh!!!

I've managed to overlook that incident and love Leon's early albums. 'Leon Russell', 'Leon Russell and the Shelter People', 'Carney' and 'Stop All That Jazz' are all great albums. Despite not being a fan of country music, I also like his series of 'Hank Wilson' albums.

11. I have a buddy who used to walk by the house and he often saw Leon's Rolls Royce sitting outside.

12. rockclassics

If I had an extra couple of million and wanted to live in LA....

Anyway here is additional info about the house. This article has more details about where recording took place in the house. How accurate all this is I have no idea.

7709 Skyhill Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90068

13. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I don't know, 1.4 million doesn't seem to buy much any more.

rockclassics likes this.
  14. rockclassics

Agree. But it is all based on location.

I suspect that house will sell for a bit less than that asking price.

seacliffe301 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.