Let It Be 50th Anniversary (pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GlassPepper, May 11, 2020.

1. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I would say the production wasn't there (and The Beatles always had great production) but the songs were, they just were not completed.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

The Beatles' attempts at self-production were never a great success. They tried a movie without a producer ('Magical Mystery Tour') and it got panned. They tried an album without a producer ('Let It Be') and it got mixed reviews.

3. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Many would view Paul as being "in charge" of both projects.

skynet_osiris likes this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Everyone head on over to the Flaming Pie box set thread...things are heating up in a good way......no pun intended!

5. skynet_osiris

skynet_osiris Forum Resident

welll because... he was :) :D

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No Beatles news, no Kim ;-)

boggs likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

ponkine and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  9. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

The film has been pushed back to August of next year. Huge bummer

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

11. cjh

cjh Forum Resident

Nooooo :(

Geordiepete likes this.
  12. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

The Mouse has shafted us.

13. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Wow. Major Bummer, reporting for duty, sirrah!

I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to imagine that any related releases - LIB 50, Get Back book, original LIB movie - will be delayed as well.

:shake:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Hahahaha. Modern Dad strikes again!

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I guess this came to pass. :(

Geordiepete likes this.
  16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I think it’s the curse of “Get Back”, back after 51 years.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Calling our friends @mikecarrera and @maccawings : do you guys know if the fate of LIB 50 was tied to the film, as we have assumed? Is there still hope to see the set come out this year? Or any other Beatles product (not solo albums)?

18. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Paul was arguably in charge of Revolver, Sgt Pepper, and Abbey Road, too.

905 and Lewisboogie like this.
  19. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

George getting that mic shock still hard to watch.

905 likes this.
  20. JimBop

JimBop Forum Resident

21. gamuzajoe

gamuzajoe Forum Resident

22. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

From a marketing perspective, releasing the SDE without the Jackson film behind it would weaken both products. Surely the Jackson soundtrack is one of the discs in the SDE, so that would let the cat out of the bag on much of the movie content. And the same reason that the film is being delayed- C19- is the same reason the SDE will be delayed. When your core consumer is afraid to leave the house, the small record shops they frequent are all closed, and you don't want to put the over-60 crowd needlessly in harms way, the entire focus shifts to waiting it out and trying again next year.

The two projects are tied together artistically, financially, and demographically. So if the film is pushed out a year, so too shall the SDE.

23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I agree with them but that doesn't mean it'll happen, fingers crossed.
    `
    "Therefore SDE’s prediction is that this delay to the Peter Jackson film will have no impact on the Let It Be box set. Therefore, as long as there are no manufacturing impediments, I think it will still happen later this year, because including the film was never an option."

Wingsfan2012 and Lewisboogie like this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Are there any record shops in your area that are still closed? All retail shops around me have been open for nearly 2 weeks under the instruction that all shoppers must wear masks and capacity is limited to 50% of legal limit.

I expect that to change, ramping up to full capacity (or near it) allowed by Fall.

Most sales must come from online purchase anyway, yeah? Especially now. C-19 has hurt small retailers but it hasn't hurt consumers or consumerism. Dropping LIB50 in Dec is not a bad idea at all, it would just possibly cause Apple to change strategy. IF, and it's a big IF, a Get Back "Soundtrack" was slated as a bonus disc in LIB50, then they could pull it out of the box and give it a simple separate release when the film finally arrives. If it wasn't ever part of the big LIB50 box, then no harm, no foul...

On the film screening, Theaters will be open in July in USA, at lower capacity at first, but, again, that should ramp up over the next few months a bit, just as we've seen other social distancing measures scaled back over time.

August 2021 seems like an odd time to move the film to, but I guess it's the safest/soonest bet? August is not generally a well attended month at the movies (schools start back in mid August, last of summer trips are taken in early August, it's a busy time for most). August is generally seen as a dumping ground for "summer movies" that aren't all that good compared to the blockbusters that debut in May, June and July.

Very curious. Many expect theaters to be back in full swing in March and April (with CDC/Fauci confident a vaccine will be ready and proliferated by end of 2020). Why not debut Get Back in May, even if, conservatively, theaters are still at 50-75% capacity? Or else wait till September as originally planned? August seems like a very odd choice. To me at least.

Not saying I know best, but even before the LIB album anniversary came and went without a release, I was saying it wasn't smart to time the LIB50 box with the Get Back film as they are different products, different names and designs and intentions, etc. One old, one new. I've always been of the view that LIB50 is a soundtrack to a 1970 documentary and we should be reminded of that by having it stand alone rather than be reintroduced to help sell a new documentary. Lavish LIB50 box (but also multi-format), and a smaller affordable 1CD/1LP Get Back soundtrack, released separately with only the Get Back soundtrack tied to the film (released the same week), would have been ideal. IMHO.

If this approach were taken, then absolutely LIB50 could be released Dec. 4, 2020 giving the Beatles a big holiday product.

Get Back soundtrack could drop Aug 27, 2021, the same day as the film debuts for casual fans who had no interest in the big LIB50, and hardcore fans who will buy the soundtrack if it has a handful of exclusive tracks not in the LIB50 box and nice artwork.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    BlueJay likes this.
  25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That post you quoted was written before the news of the delay of the film. As I said in the other thread, I believe both projects are tied, so the LIB box will be pushed back to 2021 too.