Let It Be 50th Anniversary -Twickenham Rehearsals: What and how?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J Alesait, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If it was John "taking a jab" and Paul was indeed "butthurt" about it, then why would Paul have allowed this bit of dialogue to be released on the Anthology CD?

And why would Lennon take a jab at a song he liked?

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

He was less hurt 30 years later?
    I don't recall John saying he liked the song, quite the opposite.

Macca also allowed the take of Teddy Boy, which John also makes fun of...

2141 likes this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm sure Paul's bottom was aching after this one as well.

Hey, maybe they were four friends having a really good time after all. :)

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

On Teddy Boy the mockery is part of the performance, so you can't have one without the other. The comment before LIB could easily be edited off.

At any rate, can you cite any example of Lennon saying "quite the opposite" (ie, making a negative comment about the song LIB)? I am not aware of any such instance.

In the 1980 Playboy interview, Lennon says:
    "He had a little spurt just before we split. I think the shock of Yoko and what was happening gave him a creative spurt including "Let It Be" and "Long And Winding Road," 'cause that was the last gasp from him."

"Creative spurt" is obviously a complimentary term, though in typical Lennon fashion it's a backhanded compliment as he's using it to insult McCartney's subsequent solo work.

Lewisboogie, supermd, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Not to mention the fact that "Are we supposed to giddle in the solo?" isn't an insult to the song in the first place. John's "Sweet Loretta Fart" parody of "Get Back" could be twisted into an insult I guess, and there's a mountain of evidence that John loved that song and his role in the recording of it.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Please provide a quote from John in which he says "quite the opposite" of liking Let it Be. I'll wait.

Sean, Drewzel and PhoffiFozz like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Wikipedia;

Lennon also commented disparagingly on "Let It Be". In his 1980 Playboy interview, he disavowed any involvement with composing the song, saying: "That's Paul. What can you say? Nothing to do with the Beatles. It could've been Wings. I don't know what he's thinking when he writes 'Let It Be'."[32]

8. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I find it fascinating that a handful of posters here are fanatically determined to see John in an unfavourable light even going to the lengths of inventing spurious quotations from him. i guess it speaks volumes about their own mindset.

SunSon, Contact Lost, Sean and 4 others like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I love the song but Lennon clearly didn't. More than anything, he was not that interested in the other members songs at that time. Neither was Paul.

There's another take where John says: "Let it be? I know what you mean..."

I don't know why you have a bee in your in your bonnet trying to prove something that isn't true.

10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Apart from the introductory passage not by Lennon, there is nothing disparaging in that (mis)quotation.

Sean, zobalob, PhoffiFozz and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.