Let It Be 50th Anniversary -Twickenham Rehearsals: What and how?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J Alesait, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I honestly think they're going to do a lot of fresh stuff we haven't seen. I could see them skipping the original film. Surely, there will be a standard dvd/bluray of it. I just figure if they throw the original somewhere, it'll be on the box instead of a standalone.

fishcane and J Alesait like this.
  2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I agree. I can see Jackson's new "Get Back" documentary coming out in April 2020 (big red carpet premiere, select theatres and a streaming release), then in May the LIB50 music releases hit, and in the SDE CD box is a Blu-ray with the original Let it Be film.

This would fulfill the original press release's comment that the original film would be "made available" later, and it would avoid having "competing" stand-alone documentaries from the same time period on store shelves at basically the same time.

I think the original Let It Be doc will be all on its own on a Blu-ray, no outtake scenes. And Jackson's film will have a blu-ray with some extra scenes and snippets, some bonus "full performances," a "making of" featurette, etc.

J Alesait likes this.
  3. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

marklamb, Shaddam IV and MerseyBeatle like this.
  4. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I’d rather they reissue LIBN (on vinyl!) alongside whatever they do wind up releasing. I agree with the poster who said that they would not want that to take up any disc space in the set.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  5. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

J Alesait likes this.
  6. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

That was me. Yeah, I’m all for reissuing, remastering, remixing, etc. LIBN, but just not in the LIB 50 box. Give me new stuff in the box, not rereleases of music we already have. My LP and CD copies of LIBN will set proudly next to my LIB 50 box (eventually).

milk731 and J Alesait like this.
  7. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, of course. I've always wondered if John had those words in his mind before singing this song or just improvised on the spot!:shh:

Beatlebug likes this.
  8. At first I thought the asterisks were by the software censor, and kept trying to figure out what rude thing you'd written.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

On any mega set I would imagine the Glyn Johns mix is a must.

I'd also expect a full reproduction of the original book (but with pages that don't fall out when you look at them).

Six Bachelors, Ram4 and 2141 like this.
  10. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I think Naked gets supplanted. McCartney got it out there in 2003. That and the 1998 Yellow Submarine Songtrack was the one two punch that slowly crumbled the hermit kingdom that Apple became. It led to the remix era. There's nothing sacred about it. The Let It Be rerelease offers the opportunity to create a new edition of the album. I have no idea what if anything Jackson's involvement will have on the audio. If it's a Giles Martin project it will be much like the others. I don't see Giles putting 5 or 6 CDs of rough rehearsals into a box. If, somehow, Jackson gains influence due to any notable wrangling with the NAGRAS then you might get something archival. But im assuming that Glyn Johns becomes persona non grata in terms of the audio product. Is anyone aware of John's involvement or consultation on Abbey Road if any?

Mr wiggles, J Alesait and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Lindsay-HoggRump ... ;)

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  12. beatleroadie

For the audio portion of the SDE, I'm thinking:

CD1 - New Mix
    CD2 - Twickenham Rehearsals
    CD3 - Apple Sessions
    CD4 - Apple Sessions + outliers like I Me Mine, Peggy Sue Got Married, You Know My Name and Across the Universe (1968 - Hums Wild version)
    CD5 - Rooftop Concert (minimal editing, but some)

Then we'll all be able to make our own version of "Get Back" LP and it'll sound better than all the bootleg cassettes and old CDs I have in my closet!

Prediction: A replica of the original photobook included in copies from 1970 will only be included in the Vinyl Anniversary editions, not the SDE CD edition. That SDE CD edition will have its own new book about the making of the album.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Ram4 and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  13. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I agree. I think there will be a replica of the original 1970 box (with the new remix this time).

Though I don't think we will see outtakes of You Know My Name or Across the Universe (unless they were actually rehearsed during the sessions)

beatleroadie likes this.
  14. beatleroadie

I really want the Hums Wild version of ATU in pristine audio. I hope we get that!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  15. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Dream on. I doubt we will get it. From past experience, we don't get what we think we will get. Mostly because it has already been bootlegged. But also, because we are older fans and the powers that be don't give a rip about us.

16. beatleroadie

I know it's Monday, but cheer up! ;)

I feel like some early version of Across the Universe fits in well with LIB50 because the final record is literally a remix of what was recorded in 68 + strings/choir. So if ATU needs to be represented with an early version, why not "Hums Wild"? Using that on LIB50 would avoid repeating Anthology 3 and WA50 and Past Masters versions... I guess they could pick another less polished version, like Take 1 from 68. But only time will tell...

I also really don't think "what's been bootlegged before" has much impact on what Apple now decides to release. I mean, Giles wasn't even really aware of the Esher demos until this project started, so I think he has no clue about more obscure bootlegs than those. He's just picking what he and his team think sounds good and interesting and then presents the options to Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

The White Album had far more material recorded over months of sessions and had 3 discs of sessions for a double album. They only recorded at Apple for a week and a half. This is what I'm expecting. And most of the stuff that has been officially released already from the sessions is fair at best. Now you expect even more outtakes from the sessions as if there's magic we don't know about.

CD 1 - remixed ablum
    CD 2 - Twickenham rehearsals (maybe - they may not give us anything from the rehearsals)
    CD 3 - Apple Outtakes
    CD 4 - Apple Outtakes
    CD 5 - Glyn Johns mixes / rooftop

beatleroadie and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I agree with this and your last thought — no Twickenham. I hope I’m wrong, but just a feeling I’ve had.

Ram4 likes this.
  19. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

No. It's awful. Worst period in Beatles history. Billy Preston ruining the Beatles sound. Lazy Ringo riding the cymbals incessantly. John, Paul, and George sleep deprived, off key, unmotivated, uninspired, it's all dreadful.

Let It Die.

stevenson66g likes this.
  20. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

This forum tends toward disappointment and wanting more than the decision makers are willing to release.

But my oh my, reading this thread, it's going to be times-ten with this one.

OldShiftyEyes and J Alesait like this.
  21. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I see NO possibility of ANY Glyn Johns' mixes or compilations being included. Folks constantly mention it and either don't know he compiled four different sets (as well as an oldies comp) or have just one specific one in mind. So what is it? Do people want the comp with I Me Mine and Across The Universe... or the one with Teddy Boy and The Walk? Should the 5 minute mix of Dig It be used as on the earlier comps, or his later (Compilation #4) 3:00+ mix? Let's face it, most of his choices were not up to snuff. Abbreviated version of I've Got A Feeling. A tepid, at best, studio take of Dig Of Pony. The weak studio version of Don't Let Me Down. The beyond awful Save The Last Dance For me/I'm Ready medley, that somehow made every comp he mixed. Just one rooftop song, One After 909. A good, but not best studio version of Two Of Us. We'll get most of these, though hopefully never-before released takes will be the prevailing thought. Some of these are just... well sh&%e. Much better to REALLY go through the archives, especially the Apple material and find very good outtakes. I'd love some cleaned-up Twickenham stuff... Suzy Parker complete, one of the fast Two Of Us electric takes... not necessarily the film version, Gone, Gone, Gone, Honey Hush, maybe even the nice electric version of For You Blue. Simply, there are far better performances than what Glyn included on his compilations. Ron

22. MichaelPapelian

MichaelPapelian Forum Resident

I would like Giles Martin to do a mix of The Long and Winding Road exactly the way Paul McCartney requested for it back in 1970.

1. Strings, Horns and all added voices be reduced in volume.
    2.Vocal and Beatle instrumentation brought up in the volume.
    3.Harp removed and original piano note be substituted.

Somebody has done this and it is terrific.

J Alesait and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

I think for the Peter Jackson film, they should base it around a fictional storyline. Have Paul and Ringo give contemporary interviews where they talk about the fake director, and be sure to make no mention of Michael Lindsay Hogg at all. Throw in a bit about an encounter with a pre-fame celebrity. Say, Madonna and her mom are on vacation in London in January 1969 and they bump into Paul on Saville Row. Paul takes her up to his room where he plays her “I Saw Her Standing There” on the piano and claims he made it up on the spot just for her. They can even doctor the footage to included these fictional elements. Be sure not to mention it’s all satire though, it should be billed as a straight documentary.

24. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

See what you did there....

Mrsharko, IronWaffle and nikh33 like this.
  25. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

[​IMG]

DO I LOOK LIKE I CARE..........

abzach and dsdu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.